Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2017, 11:53 PM   #1
usq_charles
usq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle voyage
Question no voiceview on voyage, no voice folder either

Hi everyone!

1st thread here!

I got the usb to audio combo, and connect it to the voyage. When connected, it comes a window with female voice: Voice files not detected.

I've download update_voice_kindle_voyage.bin (130 MB (136,378,061 bytes))

and copied to kindle folder and restarted the voyage as per procedures in https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202006400.

after the update, the 130mb bin had gone and still no voice folder in the kindle (only activesandbox and documents folder)

I wonder if sth was wrong here, or whether i could find/download the voice folder like the ones in kpw3 (I've owned one but decided to upgrade to voyage within 2 weeks, silly me didn't backup the voice file)

Thanks for ur advice!
usq_charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I bought a new Voyage several months ago, and I believe it had the voice files already on it. So VoiceView just worked as expected. Either that, or one of the first updates added them, as I tried it pretty early on.

Where did you download the .bin file from? I cannot find any such file on amazon.com. The only one there seems to be for the Paperwhite 3. As far as I know, Amazon has only ever officially supported VV for the 7th generation Paperwhite and 8th generation Kindle, even though Voyage and Oasis also work. I wonder what help customer service is prepared to offer for Voyage owners.

The voice files themselves seem to be the same regardless of which 7/8th gen Kindle they are on. But .bin files usually only work with a particular Kindle, and if there is a mismatch, the .bin gets deleted (similar to what you report). I think there is a tool that will unpack .bin files (such as the voice data .bin for PW3), and that might let you create and populate the /voice folder with those files.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Make sure you download the right bin for your device. Once you've copied it to the root folder, go into settings, then tap menu, then select update your kindle. If update your kindle is greyed out, that means you don't have the right bin.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
usq_charles
usq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueusq_charles can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...paperwhite.bin

https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...dle_voyage.bin

https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...ice_kindle.bin

I've tried all three bin files put in root folder then restart, non of them working.

or I wonder if anyone can upload the 2 files Lang_en_us.dat and vox_en_us_salli22i in [voice] folder to somewhere like dropbox for me to download? million thanks~~~~
Old 04-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
usq_charles

hi tomsem is it possible to upload your voice folder into a dropbox or somewhere cloud? Many thanks!
Advert
Old 04-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by usq_charles View Post
[url]...

I've tried all three bin files put in root folder then restart, non of them working.

The voice files have to be put in /voice folder of the USB storage system, not at the root.

Last edited by PoP; 04-02-2017 at 01:37 PM.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
usq_charles

ALL done! following steps on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...274007&page=13

basically we need following tools:

a) kindletool-v1.6.4-mingw.zip available @ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=187880

b) either paperwhite or voyage 130mb bin file listed on my previous post

c) install 7zip

step 1: unzip kindletool-v1.6.4-mingw.zip to c:\users\administrator (or [the system drive]\users\[logon user]

step 2: copy the 130mb bin file to the same location, I renamed it to voyage.bin

step 3: go to start menu, run cmd.exe

step 4: if C:\ is the destination folder, type [kindletool extract voyage.bin c:\] then enter, you will get 4 files, the file we need is data.stgz

step 5: run 7zip, open [data.stgz], you will get the file [data], open it, and then voila!!! here's the voice folder!!

step 6: extract the voice folder to the kindle usb root. That's it!! Both voyage and KPW bin file will yield the EXACTLY same voice folder and files

Final thanks for the contribution from NiLuJe and hrezaei!! Can't have all these without your effort!

Last edited by usq_charles; 04-03-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #8
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Thanks usq_charles, that did the trick for me.

I did have to make a few modifications to get it to work. When my cmd prompt opened it wasn't in the proper directory so after step 3 I had to:

step 3b: cd c:\users\[logon user]

then the kindletool wouldn't write to c:\ so I modified your step 4 command to:
kindletool extract voyage.bin c:\user\[logon user]

Thanks for solving this for me. Amazon couldn't figure this out.

p.s. I had the missing voice files on both an Oasis and a paperwhite. For reasons too long to go into here, though I only tried this fix on the paperwhite where it worked.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The other way is to get or borrow a Paperwhite (+ VV files update) or (basic) Kindle and copy the \voice folder to the Voyage or Oasis.

I have discovered that using page buttons on Voyage with VoiceView enabled disables VoiceView, forcing you to unplug USB and plug back in to keep going. So that may be why they don't ship a voice file update for it and Oasis - they would need to do something more with the firmware so this does not happen. But for people with vision impairments there is no real reason to get a Voyage or Oasis when a Paperwhite or basic Kindle will do as well. So there's little incentive to officially add VoiceView support for the more expensive devices.

If I remember Oasis won't do VV without the cover attached.

I'm getting a little better with 'two finger close together swipe down' gesture...

Last edited by tomsem; 06-13-2017 at 06:12 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The other way is to get or borrow a Paperwhite (+ VV files update) or (basic) Kindle and copy the \voice folder to the Voyage or Oasis.

I have discovered that using page buttons on Voyage with VoiceView enabled disables VoiceView, forcing you to unplug USB and plug back in to keep going. So that may be why they don't ship a voice file update for it and Oasis - they would need to do something more with the firmware so this does not happen. But for people with vision impairments there is no real reason to get a Voyage or Oasis when a Paperwhite or basic Kindle will do as well. So there's little incentive to officially add VoiceView support for the more expensive devices.

If I remember Oasis won't do VV without the cover attached.

I'm getting a little better with 'two finger close together swipe down' gesture...
Back a year ago last May, my Oasis came with the VoiceView stuff already there, so I guess it doesn't need an update because it came with everything needed from the start.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
- - - -
If you advertise that it is "too easy", that only gives Amazon/Lab126 incentive to change it.
Next version might be one big toe and one thumb (while standing on head?).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
caile13
caile13 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
THANK YOU SO MUCH

I just purchased a paperwhite and the audio adaptor and ran into this issue.. no voice file even after updating to the most recent firmware. I spent 2 hours on the phone with amazon help yesterday and they had to pass the issue off to other levels of tech support who are supposed to call me next week. but thanks to the instructions posted here, my voice view is up and running and I am listening to my books via a headset plugged into my adaptor.

thank you so much!!!
caile13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #13
bcbane
bcbane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by usq_charles View Post
step 5: run 7zip, open [data.stgz], you will get the file [data], open it, and then voila!!! here's the voice folder!!
I'm trying to complete this final step, but I'm on a OSX and don't have access to 7zip to open the data.stgz file. Anybody have a suggestion for how I can open it up and get the voice files?
bcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #14
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbane View Post
I'm trying to complete this final step, but I'm on a OSX and don't have access to 7zip to open the data.stgz file. Anybody have a suggestion for how I can open it up and get the voice files?

I don't know how it worked for @usq_charles, but these instructions shoudl work.

The data.stgz is an "Amazon Signed Tar.GZ file", which

To convert it in one step you can use kindletool again to run
Code:
kindletool.exe extract data.stgz data_dir
If you want to do it by hand you can run

Code:
dd if=data.stgz of=data.tar.gz bs=1 skip=320
gzip -d data.tar.gz
tar xvf data.tar
or in one go:
Code:
dd if=data.stgz bs=1 skip=320 | tar xzvf -

Last edited by coplate; 07-24-2017 at 10:24 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbane View Post
This is the 7-zip project recommended implementation for MacOSx:
http://www.kekaosx.com/en/

A few minutes to download, and then you will have access to 7zip.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle voyage