Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
VineGal
Enthusiast
VineGal began at the beginning.

Device: Still looking. (Trying Nook Tab and NookST, Don't meet needs)
Prepaid Cards to protect Credit Card

Hi all!

I recently lost my Credit card and received replacement

I really do not want to use my new CC on sites.
1. To protect privacy of new cc #
2. To not have to record all the small charges in my financial software

I would really prefer a Prepaid card where you can add more funds

From my understanding sites like Amazon and BN require a card with a physical address

I'm curious if anyone uses these ?
If so where can these be purchased?

Thanks
Vinegal
VineGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Check your credit card company's online site. Some credit cards, like Discover (and no, not only do I not work for them, I work for a competitor) offer the ability to create single-use or "obscured" credit card numbers. I never used it, but when I had a Discover Card, I remember it was part of their advertised benefits. You could create a single-use account number that translated to your card number when it was processed, but couldn't be stolen and used by anyone else.

I'm pretty sure I've seen them in other company's ads, but Discover is the only one I remember for sure.

The reason I mention this is that the prepaid Visa/Mastercard cards cost you money. Unlike most gift cards, you pay for the "privilege" of buying one of these. For an example, a $50 prepaid Visa might cost you $55.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I know of three credit card companies that offer "virtual credit cards", Bank of America, Citi, and Discover. Both BoA and Citi allow you to set the credit limit and expiration date of the virtual credit card, Discover uses the credit limit and expiration date of the real credit card. In all three cases, the virtual credit card can only be used with one merchant. I have been able to use one virtual credit card from BoA to pay several different eBay sellers via PayPal, so PayPal is considered the merchant of record.

I normally use virtual credit cards for all of my internet purchases, and I set the credit limit to be just above the purchase amount, and unless it's a company I buy from often, I set the expiration date to 2 months, which is the shortest expiration date allowed.

If there are other credit card companies supporting virtual credit cards, please post.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I wish my bank had virtual credit cards, I've been wanting one for years.

I try to use PayPal when possible for internet purchases.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by VineGal View Post
PM Blossom (if she doesn't see this thread & reply), I'm pretty sure she uses one from WalMart.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by VineGal View Post
Hi all!
I would really prefer a Prepaid card where you can add more funds

From my understanding sites like Amazon and BN require a card with a physical address

Pretty much any chain super market or drug store or department store should have a rack of prepaid Visas & MasterCards hanging around. The cards include a URL where you can register your name & address for sites that check. The fee to buy a prepaid is annoying, but certainly worth it if the bank behind your card doesn't offer reloadables or virtual numbers or other such things.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I wish my bank had virtual credit cards, I've been wanting one for years.

I try to use PayPal when possible for internet purchases.
Does PayPal offer credit cards you can use on sites that doesn't support PayPal?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Does PayPal offer credit cards you can use on sites that doesn't support PayPal?
I don't know the details, but they do offer a prepaid MasterCard and a debit MasterCard.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Not sure about credit cards, but I have a debit card through PayPal that I can use on non-PayPal sites.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
PM Blossom (if she doesn't see this thread & reply), I'm pretty sure she uses one from WalMart.
Yes I use a WalMart Money Card. If you are in the U.S then this is a good choice. It's reloadable. Works just like a Credit Card and good at any place that Takes Visa or MasterCard depending which one you pick.

It's $3 monthly maintenance fee and $3 to reload it at any walmart. $20 is lowest you can put on it. Any stores that sells Green Dot cards can reload it. Usually for $4.95. Also you can use a Moneypak to add funds. My mom uses this option to send me money through a moneypak for my Money Card and she's in Missouri.

You buy it at Walmart and there will be a temporary card to use till you get the real thing. It only takes a a few seconds online to order the real card and it arrives in a about a week. It's an easy process. You can sign in online and check your purchases just like with a real card.

You do have the option to add a bank account to reload with but I don't use that option.

Also refunds work just like a real card. Amazon has refunded me a few times and it goes right back on the card with no problems.

Last edited by Blossom; 05-26-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Not sure about credit cards, but I have a debit card through PayPal that I can use on non-PayPal sites.
I use to have MasterCard through PayPal to get one you need a credit card that is billed to your street address. Seeing I use a PO BOX for my bank card it's a no go. So I got the Prepaid card instead.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yes I use a WalMart Money Card. If you are in the U.S then this is a good choice. It's reloadable. Works just like a Credit Card and good at any place that Takes Visa or MasterCard depending which one you pick.

It's $3 monthly maintenance fee and $3 to reload it at any walmart. $20 is lowest you can put on it. Any stores that sells Green Dot cards can reload it. Usually for $4.95. Also you can use a Moneypak to add funds. My mom uses this option to send me money through a moneypak for my Money Card and she's in Missouri.

You buy it at Walmart and there will be a temporary card to use till you get the real thing. It only takes a a few seconds online to order the real card and it arrives in a about a week. It's an easy process. You can sign in online and check your purchases just like with a real card.

You do have the option to add a bank account to reload with but I don't use that option.

Also refunds work just like a real card. Amazon has refunded me a few times and it goes right back on the card with no problems.

This is also what I use, works very well. I use it for all my online transactions.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I use Entropay virtual visa card. No monthly fees, just a straight 4.95% fee for loading it from a debit or credit card. It has worked everywhere I've used it so far. They do verify your identity before issuing the card so you have to agree to send the information to obtain it (somewhat like PayPal). I use it when you can't use PayPal.
https://www.entropay.com/

Last edited by Cdesja5; 05-26-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Looks like you can get it online too without going to a Walmart store...
https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/walmart
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Looks like you can get it online too without going to a Walmart store...
https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/walmart
That's just the site you use to activate and maintain your account. You still have to buy it at WalMart in person. You're allowed to have up to two. So if you wanted a Visa and MasterCard you are allowed that.

What I love is you do not have to have a funding source like you do with PayPal or other online cards. You reload locally and if the card gets compromise it's not tied with anything so you're safe. I never load too much on mine. When Harlequin had their coupon in January I bought over 300 books most just a nickle. My card was never flagged or refused. So it's up to you to keep an eye out for fraudulent purchases. Think of it like cash if it's get in someone else hands you're just out of luck.