Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-31-2020, 07:07 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I like Sans for comments, notes, inserts, titles, preambles.
I prefer a nice serif font for body text, it's rare to see sans used in paper novels.
I find solid blocks of italic or script fonts (no matter what the base font face is) tiring to read. I find it makes poetry more difficult.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:16 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
It is tweaked in Kobo. Tracking is decreased and weight is increased.

Most sans serif typefaces isn't good for body text in high definition screens like ereader screens. You should take a look at geometric egyptians.
This seems counterintuitive to me. The lack of serifs seems ideal for eink screens, especially at smaller text sizes.

Or are you stating a personal preference?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
This seems counterintuitive to me. The lack of serifs seems ideal for eink screens, especially at smaller text sizes.
I agree. I use sans for smaller text precisely because it's more readable at smaller sizes.
Also the higher the resolution of screen, the MORE flexibility there is. Serif can be poor below 100 dpi.
It must be a personal preference.
Studies on Sans vs Serif are inconclusive, when the print medium/screen is good enough. People seem to find what they are used to easiest for reading for long periods.
Also all of it only applies to Western/Latin/Roman alphabetic text. It might apply to Cyrillic. Not sure about Hebrew, Arabic, Thai, Korean and Hindi. Clueless about Chinese, Japanese and all non-alphabetic script.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #19
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Lightbulb Fonts, Languages, Alphabets and Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Studies on Sans vs Serif are inconclusive, when the print medium/screen is good enough. People seem to find what they are used to easiest for reading for long periods.
Also all of it only applies to Western/Latin/Roman alphabetic text. It might apply to Cyrillic. Not sure about Hebrew, Arabic, Thai, Korean and Hindi. Clueless about Chinese, Japanese and all non-alphabetic script.
And poor little me thinking I was asking a simple question

Happy to unwittingly create food for thought,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 03-31-2020 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Grammar correction
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:50 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Inconclusive is being generous. Most of the studies I looked at a while back didn't seem to prove anything other than the participants came into the study with their preference and left with the same preference. OTOH, it seemed quite clear from several studies that compared various fonts that simple non-ornate fonts were found to be more readable whether serif or sans-serif.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2020, 04:41 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:27 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
And poor little me thinking I was asking a simple question
You did ask a simple question and the answer is post #15 in this thread.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:24 PM   #23
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
My personal favourite is the Liberation set of fonts which I believe are free.

I find block of Liberation text very clear and clean.

I have tried many of the fonts mentioned above and I find many acceptable so you pays your money and takes your choice.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:12 PM   #24
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
it seemed quite clear from several studies that compared various fonts that simple non-ornate fonts were found to be more readable whether serif or sans-serif.
This reminded me of a line from an episode of Fawlty Towers "Welcome to Mastermind. Your chosen specialty subject: The bleeding obvious"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:46 AM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This reminded me of a line from an episode of Fawlty Towers "Welcome to Mastermind. Your chosen specialty subject: The bleeding obvious"
Ain't it the truth.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:03 AM   #26
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:

Well, typography is a strange field, it is immensely personal, yet has accepted practices and guidelines.

Historically, sans serif developed for display. That means pamphlets, signs, titles and such. With the invention of screens, they found a new place for themselves. As we all know, early screens were very low on pixel density; they didn't show serifs very well. They were quite terrible in fact. That was only reason they made their foray into body text, for screens that could not show serifs.

Now, with our high definition screens, there is not much need for them in body text. They have their place in menus and such. eInk screens nowadays are 300 ppi, that is quite high and enough to render serifs perfectly in body.

So, my statement is personal taste supported by page design guidelines. No objective facts, guidelines.

Last edited by GERGE; 04-01-2020 at 08:36 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #27
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, typography is a strange field, it is immensely personal, yet has accepted practices and guidelines.

Historically[...]
Excellent summary.
Quote:
So, my statement is personal taste supported by page design guidelines. No objective facts, guidelines.
I agree.

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Historically, sans serif developed for display. That means pamphlets, signs, titles and such. With the invention of screens, they found their a new place for themselves. As we all know, early screens were very low on pixel density; they didn't show serifs very well. They were quite terrible in fact. That was only reason they made their foray into body text, for screens that could not show serifs.

Now, with our high definition screens, there is not much need for them in body text. They have this place in menus and similar places. eInk screens nowadays are 300 ppi, that is quite high and enough to render serifs perfectly in body.

Thank toy for the explanation.

So mine is preference (that I like Gill Sans for ebook bodies), that goes against guidelines.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:31 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
So mine is preference (that I like Gill Sans for ebook bodies), that goes against guidelines.
Given the lack of convincing evidence either way? Your choice.

Of course, when the font police kick in your front door...
Old 04-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Of course, when the font police kick in your front door...
A day I deeply dread, because in all honesty I literally have no problem with Comic Sans, and have never understood why using it is considered to be as bad as a crime as infanticide.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader issues, fonts