Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
TTT
TTT doesn't litterTTT doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 4NT
Faded screen Kindle 4 NT

Hi!

Some months ago, seemingly out of the blue, the eink of my K4NT stated to fade. The first page will look only a little faded, but each page turn will make it look worse, with really noticeable ghosting even though the page refresh is set to happen at each turn. I've found that the higher the temperature, the worse and faster this process is.

Looking online, someone suggested in a similar case to stick it in the freezer. I tried it and voila, as long as the kindle is cold the screen looks ok. Also, as a workaround I looked into some scripts on this page and concocted a simple script to be launched by KUAL that triggers multiple refreshes when I press the page turn button. This helps with the contrast, each refresh making the text "bolder", for lack of a better term. FWIW, this script just repeats 3 times

Code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/fb0 bs=1 count=2; 
usleep 100000;
echo 2 > /proc/eink_fb/update_display;

From all of this I suspect that the screen is ok, since it looks that it's still capable of "delivering" the contrast. Do you have any thoughts on what might be the problem?
TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Sun / heat fade was a complaint of the older K2 and its big sister the DX. It was a mentioned fairly regularly on the old Kindle forums. I never knew what caused the issue, but I do remember users talking about it on 2009-2010.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote