Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #46
ziplizard
Enthusiast
ziplizard doesn't litterziplizard doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2.0
I can't wait to see the K3 in stores. I really want to see the new screen in person and try out the smaller page forward/page back button.
ziplizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #47
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Did you see the covers? I about fainted with joy when I read that the light draws power from the Kindle itself. I don't care about the battery issue. I can recharge the Kindle every day like I recharge my phone and my laptop and my iPad.

Lights for bedtime reading are hugely important to me (and the other readers I know) and I have always wanted a light that drew power from the device itself.

I ordered the Apple Green one.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #48
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I think B&N will decrease the cost of Nook and sell it for $129...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #49
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I'd almost put money on Amazon having the ability (especially for showing a $139 Wifi Kindle) that they could remove the Wifi and be the first to break the $99 barrier.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #50
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Amazon posted the specs and I see the new Kindle is only 0.5 inches smaller and a tiny bit thinner. They must be using it's thinness in calculating the 21% smaller.

Surface area is not much different although it is slightly (0.2) smaller than the nook.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #51
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Volume of Kindle book sales stuns Amazon's Jeff Bezos

Q: Who do you think will buy the $139 Wi-Fi-only Kindle as opposed to the pricier model with 3G?

A: Evidence is starting to accumulate that this is a mass-market device. I predict that at the $139 price, people will buy multiple Kindles. We'll have to wait and see. People might buy Wi-Fi-only models for the kids and 3G ones for themselves.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #52
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
How is file organization? Is it like the new Kindle DX or the old Kindle 2?

PS: Pre-ordered a wifi graphite.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #53
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
How is file organization? Is it like the new Kindle DX or the old Kindle 2?
???? K2 and KDX have the same collections feature.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #54
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
???? K2 and KDX have the same collections feature.
What I meant to ask was does it have folder structures to organize books? Is the collection feature using folders and subfolders?
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #55
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
I have a PRS-505 and use Calibre to download news sources in the morning.

Is this possible on the Kindle? How would it work with wifi only?
Yes.
It works the same way as on the 505, via USB.

You also get two other choices, one manual, one automatic:
You could use Calibre's ability to put your library online and use the Kindle browser to get the files wirelessly.
Alternately, you can have calibre email the files to the Kindle's free email account and get them via the wireless.

The email option also lets you get DRM-free books from non-amazon vendors (Baen, etc) into your kindle wirelessly. Lots of tricks are possible with the built-in wireless.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #56
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
What I meant to ask was does it have folder structures to organize books? Is the collection feature using folders and subfolders?
Collections are tags (similar to what the Sony's have) making something similar to a playlist, not folders/sub folders like some other readers have. Books can be tagged into multiple collections, but there is no stacked structure like you'd have with folders.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #57
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
This is huge! I'm really surprised to see the $139 price point. Nook and Kobo need to move fast.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #58
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
TTS now extends to the entire menu system opening the Kindle to all people with visual impairments.

There is also improved PDF functionality. You can now use the dictionary and take notes in a PDF document.

Not to mention it is 21% slimmer then the K2.

And Wifi.

heheheheh
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #59
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yup, this is indeed huge. It's a very well thought out upgrade edition. WiFi is nice because it's simply faster than 3G. Always connected is critical to the Amazon value prop; I can't imagine a non-Wifi version. Sony, Astak and all the smaller players, better have exit strategies or something really stunning to stay in market. B&N and Kobo have each taken a different approach and each support epub -- they have some wiggle room. In Kobo's case, however, the price simply has to come down; they have no other levers to pull. And I don't mean to write off Sony -- just they need to have had something major cooking and have it in market by Sep 1.

Any comments on the new joystick configuration? Is the keyboard any more useful?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #60
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Amazon posted the specs and I see the new Kindle is only 0.5 inches smaller and a tiny bit thinner. They must be using it's thinness in calculating the 21% smaller.

Surface area is not much different although it is slightly (0.2) smaller than the nook.
Looks like it is significantly smaller, more than the sizes lead you to believe.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	us-wifi-compare__V186815565_.png
Views:	483
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	55868