Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-22-2019, 02:23 AM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
... I was even debating whether or not to trade in my Oasis for the new Nook Glowlight Plus but changed my mind when I read about the technical glitches and how super orange the lighting is. ...
But I think it's only "super orange" if you want it to be. It's adjustable.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:16 AM   #47
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I bought a lot of new Kindles every time there was an improvement. Now I haven't bought another one for two years.

It's like with the iPhones. They are stuck and make little changes almost no one really needs.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2019, 06:37 AM   #48
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I bought a lot of new Kindles every time there was an improvement. Now I haven't bought another one for two years.

It's like with the iPhones. They are stuck and make little changes almost no one really needs.
You almost sound unhappy about it. On a positive side a current ereader will last for a while without becoming outdated in a year or less. Other than adding color to the screen and make them bigger and foldable, I don't see what can be improved hardware wise.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #49
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You almost sound unhappy about it. On a positive side a current ereader will last for a while without becoming outdated in a year or less. Other than adding color to the screen and make them bigger and foldable, I don't see what can be improved hardware wise.

In a way I am unhappy because I am an e-ink nerd and want every improvement I can get. On the other side I am happy because there is no improvement on the substance so I am fine with the current one.

I was hoping for some Liquavista Kindles in the future, thou.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:50 AM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Most of the recent "improvements" are marginal at best.
How many people really read in water regularly? They exist but not many. 1%? Less, most likely. More read in bed but the light change thing is more gimmick than boon. Yes, it works for some. Great. But the typical Kindle/Kobo buyer won't be basing buy/no-buy on that. More likely they were already going to buy or not buy.

What is really going on is that ebook readers are manufactured in batches.
Amazon was ready to order up a new batch of, in this case, Oasis and looked around and said: "What can we do to make it look like it's a *NEW* thing and not just more of the same?" Product marketing loves *NEW AND IMPROVED*.

It's called product refresh.

Here, this is what marketers tell themselves: https://www.americanexpress.com/en-u...ct-or-service/

Amazon doesn't expect everybody with a working reader to suddenly throw the old one away. They just need something, anything, to justify NEW AND IMPROVED. If a few folks are thrilled by the new feature, well good and dandy. But that is not what they set out to do. They just set out to move a few more units of an existing product that already does all it needs to do to sell about as well as it's going to sell.

The new Oasis isn't going to take over the world.
Nobody expects it too.
It's just a classic product refresh.
Like a three year old car brand getting a new paint scheme or a new front end. Same old car underneath but with a slight facelift.

That is the new Oasis.

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-22-2019 at 07:56 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #51
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
The warm light feature is something I've been yearning for a while now on Kindle. I was even debating whether or not to trade in my Oasis for the new Nook Glowlight Plus but changed my mind when I read about the technical glitches and how super orange the lighting is. Now Amazon has my attention again with this new Oasis.
I'm happy with my new Nook. I haven't had issues with sideloading. And as rcentros said, it's only as orange as you want it to be. Amazon would only get my attention with something similar. It's so much more comfortable to hold than the Oasis. And a 7" screen looks small now that I'm used to the larger Nook and Kobo ones.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #52
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I'm happy with my new Nook. I haven't had issues with sideloading. And as rcentros said, it's only as orange as you want it to be. Amazon would only get my attention with something similar. It's so much more comfortable to hold than the Oasis. And a 7" screen looks small now that I'm used to the larger Nook and Kobo ones.
That's true , probably the next high end kindle Oasis or something else, will have a larger screen.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #53
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Most of the recent "improvements" are marginal at best.
How about a low-priced 6" device with buttons on both sides? But Kindle and Kobo certainly don't want to make one. And before someone says Nook, the Nook is awful in other ways.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #54
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But I think it's only "super orange" if you want it to be. It's adjustable.
The light and display on the Nook are amazing. The best out there that I've seen. The light can be changed to a range of tones. I think all e-readers with the colored light can. Is new Oasis an exception? Is it just that pee color shown in the advertising images?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #55
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
I too am very happy with my Nook. The color is completely adjustable but I am happy with the automatic setting.

I didn't realize how much I change hands when reading until I got my PW. The bezels are so small that I kept turning pages inadvertently. I think I would be unhappy if I had to rotate my reader every time I change hands. That is why I liked the Voyage so much. But I love my new Nook and I have not had any problem sideloading.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #56
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It looks like "the hand" is attached to a woman. The following picture came from Forbe's review and it's a bit wider shot ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidph.../#19389e701a82

I think "the hand" by itself was more unique.

Before the picture, I was thinking to myself: it's a masculine hand, regardless of the owner.

Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #57
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
tbh, there'd have to be a big improvement (I'll know it when I see it) over the current paperwhite or better for me to not get a basic kindle when the time comes where I need a new lighted kindle. Unless they downgrade a future gen basic to not have a frontlight.

I'm not saying that the basic kindle is better than any higher-end kindle, just that the cheapness puts it over the top for me.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #58
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
How about a low-priced 6" device with buttons on both sides? But Kindle and Kobo certainly don't want to make one. And before someone says Nook, the Nook is awful in other ways.
First, define low-cost.
Unless they get fancy, buttons break water tightness and add cost.
So, how much extra are you willing to pay?

Second, how many people want buttons badly enough to pay a premium? Amazon put the buttons on the Voyage and Oasis (premium, low volume sellers) rather than the Basic Kindle and Paperwhite(high volume sellers) for a reason.

It's easy to list features you like--I've found I prefer reading landscape dual column so a 16x9 Papewhite that *can* do 2-column would be heaven for me--but those features have to sell enough *extra* to justify the added design and coding labor, the added SKU, and the added assembly line and component supply chain. Not trivial even for a cheap feature.

And in my case I known I'm enough of an outlier it'll be snowing in the Amazon before we see a 16x9 eink screen anywhere.

It's all about ROI; how much added money will the added expense brings.

So instead of pining for a 16x10 ink screen, I merely hope for a very light cheap tablet instead,
Old 06-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #59
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
It's funny that buttons have become a premium feature on e-readers. And not even fancy ones anymore --- just plain ol' buttons.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #60
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's funny that buttons have become a premium feature on e-readers. And not even fancy ones anymore --- just plain ol' buttons.
What's funny is that the more expensive touchscreen has become everybody's default...
...mostly because of cell phones.

Buttons are "premium" features because they are extra cost and Amazon has been optimizing (read: cutting less popular) features. (Like TTS.) Touchscreen is expected, buttons aren't.