Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 04:58 AM   #61
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
Any rumors about pricing for the Carta Max?

Also, will it be possible to view a PDF while writing notes in the note-taking application? (i.e. if you don't want to make notes within the PDF itself)
The Carta Max already has a price. E.g. shown in the E-Reader Store from Booxtor. It costs around 50 Euro more than the 'old' one.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #62
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
But that is also an extra item to lug about.
Well, if it were a laptop, you would carry around the full weight anyway, and the extra would not be detachable nor able to sit somewhere while you comfortably lift the cable connected lighter part...
So, this is more practical than standard use.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #63
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Well, if it were a laptop, you would carry around the full weight anyway, and the extra would not be detachable nor able to sit somewhere while you comfortably lift the cable connected lighter part...
So, this is more practical than standard use.
I get that. But my main point was "What happens when the internal battery dies?"

If the "typewriter" is configured more like many laptops, replacing the battery should be a much friendlier process and one should be able to use it without any battery at all. That would be my hope.

However, not knowing the details of the device, it is all just speculation at this point. Just saying that I wouldn't discount this device even if it does not have full laptop capabilities. Were I doing a lot of typing on a daily basis, I think I would prefer to have a device dedicated to the task rather than one cobbled together with a variety of pieces.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #64
madballster
madballster began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
still no backlight nor dual digitizer

waiting for max 2
Is it confirmed they will ever do a max 2? What do we hear about target specs?
madballster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #65
pochopsp
Connoisseur
pochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92 & Nova Pro
I still don't get why eBook readers should have backlight. With backlight they almost become LCDs. Backlight is what harms our eyes and makes eBook reader screens look much less like natural paper.
pochopsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #66
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pochopsp View Post
I still don't get why eBook readers should have backlight. With backlight they almost become LCDs. Backlight is what harms our eyes and makes eBook reader screens look much less like natural paper.
I completely agree, makes no sense to me. Actually no backlight would be a a plus for me, I want it to be like a book.

Unless they actually allow you to completely disable the backlight and not just "dim it to the lowest level". I have no idea why kindle for example doesn't add an option to completely turn it off.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #67
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Although I agree in general, honestly I can say that the backlight is good for flexibility (those few situations in which etc.). If not having that layer at all dramatically improved the visual quality, I would do without (but I cannot compare, or never did proper "on field" research).

BTW: If I have to read in dimmed light, I prefer light-on-pitch-black OLED. Not sure it is healthy, though ; )
Old 04-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #68
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
I completely agree, makes no sense to me. Actually no backlight would be a a plus for me, I want it to be like a book.

Unless they actually allow you to completely disable the backlight and not just "dim it to the lowest level". I have no idea why kindle for example doesn't add an option to completely turn it off.
Some readers have backlight always on? That's ridiculous, a paradox
Old 04-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #69
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
I'm not a fan of baclighting as it often leads to eyestrain. However, I am a huge fan of the frontlighting found on many eink ereaders. Love it. And it doesn't hurt the eyes any more than light shining on a the paper page in a book does. I hope they eventually find a way to add frontlighting to 13.3" devices.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
FWIW, Eink displays cannot have "backlighting"; the built in lighting is "front lighting".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #71
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Front lighting is still flouroscent light and some peoples eyes are sensitive to it. Lighting in E readers is still a minus for me unless you can completely turn it off, then I wouldnt care.

That being said I use external light sources anyway whenever I read something . So lightning on E readers is pointless to me
Old 04-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #72
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
No, the light in the front layer comes from LEDs, not from fluorescent lights.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #73
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Front lighting is still flouroscent light and some peoples eyes are sensitive to it. Lighting in E readers is still a minus for me unless you can completely turn it off, then I wouldnt care.

That being said I use external light sources anyway whenever I read something . So lightning on E readers is pointless to me
As was previously said, they are not flouroscent. Also, they can be turned off, for example, Kobo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #74
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
No, the light in the front layer comes from LEDs, not from fluorescent lights.
My bad. That said, it's still artifical light, it makes no difference to me. I want it to be like a book. Lighting makes no sense to me.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #75
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
My bad. That said, it's still artifical light, it makes no difference to me. I want it to be like a book. Lighting makes no sense to me.
I used to feel that way until I got my first ereader with a light. Now I think it's great because I do a lot of my reading in bed before I sleep, and the frontlight is uniform and easy to adjust to a comfortable level while the room is dark. It is also goes everywhere with the device, meaning that I can read in places where it would be difficult to read from paper. You're of course free to feel that you don't need the frontlight, but I think you're wrong to claim that it makes no sense to have it.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote