Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
gunslinger stephen king

started the series, im on the first book 1/2 way in. trying hard to stay awake. heard soo many things about this book. diasppointed. will it get better?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I found the first book odd and hard to read until I learnt that it is actually a collection of stories published over many years in serials and then put together and presented as a book. Then it sort of made sense.

I thought books 2-5 were great. Book 6 I thought was excellent. It is in this book that the plot device used to make sense of the series is introduced. I thought it was a great idea that was a bit poorly executed.

Book 7 is where I thought the plot device went from poorly executed to downright self indulgent pap and it almost entirely destroyed the series for me.

The essay by King included in my copy of book 7, detailing how and why the story went the way it did in the end, I found to be yet more self indulgent ego stroking and I wished I had never read it.

Overall though I still really enjoyed the series.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Mmm. Well, considering quite a few people like the first book, but think the series goes off the rails later on, I would tend to say "No". On the other hand, if you're not so far fond of the first book, that rail-hopping might mean the answer is "Yes" for you.

Either way, stick with the book to the end. It's not that long, and the second half differs from the first, and leads to and ends with some things that may or may not intrigue you enough to continue. If you're fully intrigued, then the second book is, in my opinion, also quite good. What happens after this may cause you delight at the path ahead, or despair that you started.

But stick with the first at least, I would say. If there's an ounce of disinterest or disappointment at the end, I would maybe skip the rest of the series' books. There are other worlds than these.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, and to "Me too" PKFFW's post, "overall though I still really enjoyed the series". I plead guilty to not minding the "self-indulgence" (on the other hand, I didn't like Wizard and Glass much at all).

Cheers,
Marc
Old 11-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Oh, and to "Me too" PKFFW's post, "overall though I still really enjoyed the series". I plead guilty to not minding the "self-indulgence" (on the other hand, I didn't like Wizard and Glass much at all).

Cheers,
Marc
I didn't mind Wizard and Glass simply for the back history of Roland and his Ka-tet. I could have done without the entire romance part of the plot in that one but I suppose that is a large part of why Roland is Roland so I guess you take the good with the bad as they say.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I didn't mind Wizard and Glass simply for the back history of Roland and his Ka-tet. I could have done without the entire romance part of the plot in that one but I suppose that is a large part of why Roland is Roland so I guess you take the good with the bad as they say.

Cheers,
PKFFW
I think part of my frustration was firstly that I read it three times (each time the next 2 books after it came out). Then I always felt that, though important back history, for me it was fleshed out into a bigger book than it needed to be (I think interleaved with more "real time" stuff, I wouldn't have been so frustrated...each time. ).

I never had such frustrations rereading the first book (The Gunslinger) though. I actually liked it, just by itself, and sometimes I wish that's all I had ever read (just because its ending leaves so much unexplained, and sometimes I like that in a book...that whole "What just happened?").

I think we need to be careful, or we'll be straying into Spoiler territory and this thread will end up nothing but pages of spoiler tags.
Spoiler:
There is no spoon!

Cheers,
Marc
Old 11-30-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Then I always felt that, though important back history, for me it was fleshed out into a bigger book than it needed to be (I think interleaved with more "real time" stuff, I wouldn't have been so frustrated...each time. ).
One of King's problems: he just doesn't know when to stop or how to cut down a story. Best example: The Stand special edition (sigh)!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
I think part of my frustration was firstly that I read it three times (each time the next 2 books after it came out). Then I always felt that, though important back history, for me it was fleshed out into a bigger book than it needed to be (I think interleaved with more "real time" stuff, I wouldn't have been so frustrated...each time. ).
Totally agree that it had that whole "fleshed out" feeling. Could have been done in 1/2 the number of pages.

I was lucky though as I didn't get know about the series until book 6 had been released as I am not generally a King fan, so I never needed to re-read anything to refresh.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-30-2009, 02:58 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Totally agree that it had that whole "fleshed out" feeling. Could have been done in 1/2 the number of pages.

I was lucky though as I didn't get know about the series until book 6 had been released as I am not generally a King fan, so I never needed to re-read anything to refresh.

Cheers,
PKFFW
It's certainly partly my own fault. I've a rule now (caused by The Dark Tower and The Wheel Of Time) not to start a series until the author has completed it.

Incidentally, I heard...was it io9.com?...yes, here it is (<---linky)...that Stephen King is (sort of) working on a sequel to The Shining. Personally I think he should call it No TV & No Beer:

Cheers,
Marc
Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
thanks the first book is sooo disjointed. glad to hear it may get better. i will read it through. darn thing is all overthe place.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
The Gunslinger
The Gunslinger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
I found the first book odd and hard to read until I learnt that it is actually a collection of stories published over many years in serials and then put together and presented as a book. Then it sort of made sense.

I thought books 2-5 were great. Book 6 I thought was excellent. It is in this book that the plot device used to make sense of the series is introduced. I thought it was a great idea that was a bit poorly executed.

Book 7 is where I thought the plot device went from poorly executed to downright self indulgent pap and it almost entirely destroyed the series for me.

The essay by King included in my copy of book 7, detailing how and why the story went the way it did in the end, I found to be yet more self indulgent ego stroking and I wished I had never read it.

Overall though I still really enjoyed the series.

Cheers,
PKFFW
I enjoyed the whole series(if you can tell by my name). I felt the strongest of the novels was "The Drawing of the Three". The narrative was just on fire and did not let up. I enjoyed books 5 and 7, which tend to get quite a bit of flak. I did not however enjoy the sixth book. I found it to be extremely boring and tedious.

I'm excited that King confirmed at his NY TimesTalks session 2 weeks ago that he is indeed preparing at least one and possibly 2 more Dark Tower novels. I believe the next title is "Wind Through the Key Hole" or something along those lines.
The Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gunslinger View Post
I enjoyed the whole series(if you can tell by my name). I felt the strongest of the novels was "The Drawing of the Three". The narrative was just on fire and did not let up. I enjoyed books 5 and 7, which tend to get quite a bit of flak. I did not however enjoy the sixth book. I found it to be extremely boring and tedious.

I'm excited that King confirmed at his NY TimesTalks session 2 weeks ago that he is indeed preparing at least one and possibly 2 more Dark Tower novels. I believe the next title is "Wind Through the Key Hole" or something along those lines.
I just realised it was Book 5(Wolves of the Calla) that I really enjoyed not book 6!(I did enjoy it, just not as much as Book 5 and I thought it did drag a bit) Been a while since I read them.

Have you read any of the graphic novels? So far(at least AFAIK) they are all set between Book 4 and Book 5 and deal with what happens to Roland after he gets back to Gilead. The artwork in them is amazing! If you are into that sort of thing you should check them out.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 12-01-2009, 02:40 AM   #13
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I have only tried to read ONE Stephen King book: 'Bag of bones', I think it was called... That cured me for life!

I would never pay for another book for his...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
The Gunslinger
The Gunslinger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I have only tried to read ONE Stephen King book: 'Bag of bones', I think it was called... That cured me for life!

You're missing out quite a bit. The Stand, Salem's Lot, Carrie, and The Shining are literary masterpieces in my opinion.

And Yes I have seen the graphic novels. They are pretty awesome!
The Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post

It is the WORST book by Stephen King I have ever read. I gave up half way through. It should be called a Bag of rubbish. Utter rubbish.

However, yes, you do miss a lot by giving up on King.

oncdoc

The Gunslinger.

1. I loved The Dark Tower series. All the books.
2. When I read Gunslinger I found it to be odd and not really exciting and wondered why people recommended it to me.
3. But it was not too bad, just sort of odd, so I countinueed to read the series...and fell in love with it.
4. After Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, Book 4) I decided to re-read The Gunslinger. I loved it. I attribute it to the fact that in Wizard and Glass you learn quite a lot about Roland's adolescence and then The Gunslinger makes a lot more sense and becomes a very enjoyable reading.
5. An advice.
If you decide to continue reading The Dark Tower series then:
a) Read Salem's Lot before Wolves of The Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5). It will help you to appreciate Father Callahan's story told in Wolves of Calla. (almost a must to read)
b) It is a very good idea to read Hearts in Atlantis.....unfortunatelly I don't remember when. Either between books 5 and 6 (Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah) or between books 6 and 7 (Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower). Because I don't remember, I would say it better to read between books 5 and 6. Then if I am wrong you still remember the book when you start the final boo, The Dark Tower. (not absolutelly necessary, less important than Salem's Lot but would be nice if you read it.)

Last edited by astra; 12-04-2009 at 07:08 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote