Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
epubreader
epubreader began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Can't find 500,000 free books at Sony; can you?

Sony says they have 500,000 free ebooks from Google.

But when I do a search of inauthor:John using the Sony ebook library software I only find 171 free books.

The exact same search at Google finds 78,309 free books (or 1,480,214 total books).

Since Google has about 1.5 million free books that suggests that Sony has less than 10,000 free books -- not 500,000.

Could someone please be so kind as to let me know what I'm not understanding. Surely Sony and Google are not lying to us.

Last edited by epubreader; 06-04-2009 at 09:12 PM.
epubreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
You have to click on the unearth a classic box and search there.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
epubreader, welcome to MobileRead.

As you can see, we have friendly helpful people here.

Why not introduce yourself here, and let us know where you are from, and what you like to read? Just start a new thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

There are many (thousands) free books here, lovingly handformatted by our own members, and ready for your sony.

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:36 AM   #4
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Welecome epubreader!

Hmm, I'm not sure. There are geographic restrictions on Google Books, so here in the UK we get far fewer ebooks than are available in the US.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:10 AM   #5
Dragonblaster
Dragonblaster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I'm not allowed to buy books from the Sony Store, being a benighted un-person (i.e., I don't live in North America).

And not only did my Reader cost me about twice as much as it did in America, but also the 100 free ebooks on offer weren't available to me.

Bit of a bugger, really...
Dragonblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I bought my reader when that promotion was going on, and I don't even think I downloaded any of the free classics from the Sony site. I downloaded a few classics from this website, and still plan to download more eventually. So, just because you can't use the sony site, you're really not missing out on the classics. This website has all the same books the Sony website did plus more.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
epubreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
You have to click on the unearth a classic box and search there.
That's where I am searching. But I'm not in the U.S. so maybe 99% of the books are blocked.

Do you get tens of thousands of search results for a search of inauthor:john ? Or a couple of hundred like I do?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by epubreader View Post
Do you get tens of thousands of search results for a search of inauthor:john ? Or a couple of hundred like I do?
Three hundred and something... It's a bit odd though, as a search for "The" returned 599 results, while searching for "e" came back with fewer - 568!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I can't test because my Sony software is broken and I don't know how to fix it. I've just given up on their store and library system. I have enough buggy software in my life already.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
epubreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Three hundred and something... It's a bit odd though, as a search for "The" returned 599 results.
OK. So you are seeing the same problem I am.

If Sony had 500,000 free books like they claim, then a search of inauthor:John would return more than 25,000 books.

And a search for "The" would return more than 100,000 books since that search at books.google.com returns almost 400,000 free downloadable books.

Do you think their search box isn't working and nobody noticed?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I don't think we can assume that the search engine works as we think it should. I'm not saying I know how it works, just that I'm familiar with other search engines and they never do quite what you expect.

The 500,000 free Google books are different from the Classics that were offered up in the 100 Free Classics promotion. The Google books include a lot of phenomenal old research books that are long out of print; the Classics are mostly fiction.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
Dragonblaster
Dragonblaster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
I can't test because my Sony software is broken and I don't know how to fix it. I've just given up on their store and library system. I have enough buggy software in my life already.
Check out http://calibre[DOT]kovidgoyal[DOT]net if you haven't already, toomanybooks. It's a great ebook format converter that works on Vista, and it also works as a good library program. You can download original book cover art (many ebooks don't have it) and edit metatags, sort options, etc, etc.

It has a tendency to fall over if you're editing your entire collection en masse, but it's still miles better than Sony ReaderCONNECT.
Dragonblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Here I thought it was just me! I downloaded the Sony Library which allows you to read books on the PC (not that I want too) and wanted to download a couple just to get the feel of it. I haven't bought a new Reader yet (that's why I'm here!). I have a Palm TX but a Vista 64 bit. Not a good combination!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote