Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #826
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
OK. I localised the problem.

1. Working with original DejaVu fonts: it behaves as described, the condensed fonts are not seen.
2. Removed the DejaVu normal fonts, and the condensed fonts are seen correctly.
3. Increase weights on all four sets of fonts (using FontCreator)
4. Place all four modified sets on Kindle: it behaves as described, the condensed fonts are not seen.
5. Use TypeLight and rename the condensed fonts to the same. It has the strange effect of clearing some metadata fields. As such, all four fonts are seen separately.

At this point, I got a new problem. This happens only with DejaVu Sans Condensed with increase weight.
1. If I put on Kindle only the regular font, the text appears as regular.
2. But if I put both the regular and any other (italic, bold, or bolditalic), then the main font is no longer the regular, but one of the others, in this order: italic, bold, bolditalic.
I am pretty sure that the metadata is correct for these fonts. So something else is happening.

I tried the same with the original DejaVu Sans Condensed alone (i.e. without the original DejaVu Sans). The font is shown as DejaVu Sans, but it behaves correctly, i.e. the regular font is not ignored. For all DejaVu weight increases I used glyph transformation bold(30,24).

Any suggestions for what I may try next?

Last edited by hfpop; 08-24-2013 at 05:22 PM.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #827
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
It probably is caused by the metadata.

As far as I know, the font names (file names) do not tell the reader anything.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #828
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Follow up from #826

I did four experiments:

1. DejaVu Sans Condensed original is displayed correctly (wrong name);
2. DejaVu Sans Condensed renamed as above is displayed correctly (correct name);
3. DejaVu Sans Condensed weight increased as above is displayed in italics (ignores the regular);
4. DejaVu Sans Condensed weight increased and renamed as above is displayed in italics (ignores the regular).

My conclusion is that by increasing the weight the regular font is no longer recognized as regular and as such is ignored by Kindle. This is strange, as it happens only with DejaVu Sans Condensed, and not any other font from this family, and only if it is not alone (i.e. other styles are present).

This implies that other metadata may need to adjust in order for the regular font be accepted. Which one? As well, is there any other conclusion to infer? Consequently, another course of action?

Later edit: modifying the description field width to appear as Medium, and not Semi-condensed is not a solution. The regular font is still ignored.

Last edited by hfpop; 08-24-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #829
hfpop
Addict

I have the solution to the problem from #826 and #828.

I prepared a DejaVu Sans Condensed set of fonts with bold(25,20) and renamed. It works correctly. But the DejaVu Sans Condensed set of fonts with bold(30,24) and renamed do not work.

So this may be an indication of how much weight we can add: too much weight increase appears to break the font.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #830
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I think it'd be more accurate to say that, if you add too much weight to some fonts, they become unusable on the KPW. While you can make a font look very bad, I doubt that you can actually break it. (Assuming you're not setting parameters out of the bounds defined by OpenFont or TTF or something.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #831
hfpop
Addict

@Katsunami: yes, you are right: The font becomes unusable on Kindle.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #832
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@hfpop: The Aa menu groups fonts by *families*, and, on FW 5.x, will synthesize (ie. fake) missing styles, which obviously works best if the provided style is the Regular style for said family.

Now, for DejaVu, the Condensed sets actually have *two* families set, with the pirmary being the exact same as the parent family (ie. DejaVu Sans Condensed => DejaVu Sans).

My guess is the Kindle only cares about the primary family names, so for all intents and purpose, the default DejaVu Sans Condensed is DejaVu Sans with style Condensed, which the Kindle probably doesn't care about (Caecilia Condensed is handled in a very funny & weird way, nearly totally inside FreeType itself, so they don't really care about honoring the Condensed style).

Cf. the output from fc-list (default format is ${file}: ${familes}:${styles})

Code:
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans-BoldOblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans:style=Bold Oblique
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Sans:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansCondensed-BoldOblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed Bold Oblique,Bold Oblique
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansCondensed-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed Bold,Bold
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansCondensed-Oblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed Oblique,Oblique
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed,Book
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans-ExtraLight.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Light:style=ExtraLight
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono-BoldOblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold Oblique
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono-Oblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Oblique
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Book
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans-Oblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans:style=Oblique
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf: DejaVu Sans:style=Book
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSerif-BoldItalic.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Bold Italic
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSerif-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSerifCondensed-BoldItalic.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Bold Italic,Bold Italic
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSerifCondensed-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Bold,Bold
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSerifCondensed-Italic.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Italic,Italic
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSerifCondensed.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed,Book
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSerif-Italic.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Italic
/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSerif.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Book

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-25-2013 at 11:47 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #833
hfpop
Addict

Question. Almost stupid. I have a font file *.ttf size 1.5 MB. I rename the font using TypeLight and immediately save the file. The new version has 1.1 MB. Is this normal? I mean, other than changing the name, no other actions were performed. What is happening? Compression? It removes certain data from the file?

On a second note, the Cecilia Condensed mechanism can be replicated? I.E. having FontName and FontName Condensed, from a single, non-condensed series of files.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by hfpop; 09-10-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #834
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've found a program that does automatic hinting of truetype fonts and I've applied it to my modified Charis SIL. I think it does look better on my 650. Would anyone like to give it a try on an eInk reader?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-18-2016 at 03:51 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #835
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've found a program that does automatic hinting of truetype fonts and I've applied it to my modified Charis SIL. I think it does look better on my 650. Would anyone like to give it a try on an eInk reader?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/om...L+-+Hinted.rar
I tried it on my Kobo Mini. I like your regular Charis SIL Modified Larger better.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #836
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I tried it on my Kobo Mini. I like your regular Charis SIL Modified Larger better.
Try this new Hinted Charis SIL Modified Larger. You may like it better. I'd like to know what you think. Thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ga...r_-_Hinted.rar
Old 06-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #837
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I don't believe these fonts work with the latest PW update; not without a jailbreak at least. I've gone back to using the generic, as I've never been a fan of jailbreaking, but if I discover I'm wrong about the latest update I'll try installing the fonts again.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #838
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't believe these fonts work with the latest PW update; not without a jailbreak at least. I've gone back to using the generic, as I've never been a fan of jailbreaking, but if I discover I'm wrong about the latest update I'll try installing the fonts again.
But you could embed the fonts in a KF8 eBook to try them out.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #839
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I feel the same, although it was a very nice font that I used until they closed that loophole. I can live with the standard fonts if I have to.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #840
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
I feel the same, although it was a very nice font that I used until they closed that loophole. I can live with the standard fonts if I have to.
That's one thing I prefer not to live with. I rather think the default Kindle font is ugly as sin. We'd be better off with Comic Sans.