Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
immutability
immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Question Book issue - part of chapter skipped

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this issue - couldn't find any reference here on the forum. My new PRS-T1 came with a few books pre-installed, among them Verne: Around the World in 80 Days from Sony Reader Store (it seems to be a 2007 version of the eBook). Before even uploading other content I started reading - never have read this book before, I knew the story thanks to Michael Palin, and it seemed like a good one to refresh my English.

Anyway, back to the problem, reading the book I soon felt as if something was missing. How could Phileas Fogg have left the Reform Club without the bets taking place? I googled the book on Project Gutenberg and found out that almost half of the Chapter III is missing. Now, I thought, perhaps it's some different edition of the book, right? To make long story short, it isn't - I synced my PRS-T1 with Calibre and checked the book on the computer - only to find out that the book is actually OK, but the PRS-T1 simply doesn't see a good part of Chapter III.

A possible reason (that I can think of) could be formatting perhaps? Chapter 3 contains a simple table - an itinerary showing how many days each part of the journey around the world would take. It seems as if this table broke the rendering. On my reader, Chapter III ends with this table (the last row reads "Total 80 days"). Even Calibre has some problems displaying this part - the last row overlaps with some other text. Correct ending of Chapter III is:
"I am quite ready now," was his tranquil response. "Diamonds are trumps: be so good as to play, gentlemen."

Now, wouldn't it be irony if Sony pre-installed a book that PRS-T1 cannot display correctly? So my question is, if you still have this book on your T1s (assuming all T1s are shipped with the same selection of pre-installed books) could you please check to see how Chapter III ends on your device? I'd be very grateful! On mine, it is page 19, and page 20 is the start of Chapter IV. Photos showing page 19 and 20 attached to this post.

PS: My T1 shipped with firmware 1.0.03.11140 and I haven't upgraded yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1571_80days_p19.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	82399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1572_80days_p20.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	82400  
immutability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Good catch, mine is the same as yours.

I tried changing fonts and sizes, but no difference.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just transferred it Calibre and at the end of the table/list there is a format error. The next line overlaps the end of the list.

I tried to run it through the Calibre conversion which sometime fixes things but no go.

Next step is to look at the text in Sigil. I'll try, but I am not CSS proficient.

AJ

(But I love a puzzle...)
Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
immutability
immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Good catch, mine is the same as yours.
I tried changing fonts and sizes, but no difference.
Thank you for checking, it sounds like a problem within that particular ePUB file then...

I also tried changing the fonts - because I was testing another font and size, but switching back to "Original" and the default size made no difference either.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru

I opened it up in Sigil and found the spot. I didn't see anything wrong, but with it being a Table, I have no idea what codes to expect.

Maybe someone else who knows CSS can check it out.

AJ
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by immutability View Post
Thank you for checking, it sounds like a problem within that particular ePUB file then...

I also tried changing the fonts - because I was testing another font and size, but switching back to "Original" and the default size made no difference either.
I've had this a few times as well, and I've always managed to view it using the smallest font - it is a pain, though. The last time it happened, I resized the font, read the missing bit, put it back to the font size I had, and then it prompty flipped back to page 2 every time I tried to turn the page (which was actually 51 or thereabouts), which was very odd indeed. I ended up having to move it forwards via the navigation pane, and then resize it again so I could read the bit I'd missed. It was a PD book, so I put up with it!
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I had a similar problem with a book I was reading when my T1 was still on its original firmware.

After looking at the book in Sigil and making no changes I tried the book again and it was fine. I assumed it was just a temporary glitch exasporated by the original flaky firmware.

Haven't seen it resurface since then and with my T1 running the lated firmware, I've not had a single issue with it.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
One bit that doesn't look right is the <div> tags. Near the top of AroundtheWorldin80Days_5.html there is a:

Code:
<div class="split">
line and just before the table there's this line:

Code:
                        <div class="Basic-Text-Frame">
but after the table there's these lines:

Code:
                        </div>
                </div>
</div>
I wonder if the Sony reader is getting confused by two opening <div> tag but three closing </div> tags?

Sigil can do some cleanups automatically. Just opening the epub in Sigil removes the last </div> tag.

It looks like a not-quite-correct epub to me.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
immutability

Thank you for all your responses!

Simon: I believe that's it! It's definitely incorrect to have more closing than opening divs (it's not a well-formed XHTML document). I've just installed Sigil to get familiar with the ePUB format and I'm glad to see it's basically just a set of HTML files and metadata.

Also I believe the second closing </div> (of the 2 remaining) should not follow the table, but should instead be located just before the closing </body> - in other files, the main <div class="split"> always encloses the whole chapter. I'll try fixing the ePUB file and uploading it back to the reader to see if it will help.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
immutability

I finally managed to test this on the reader itself. I fixed it manually, without using Sigil, just renamed the ePUB file to .zip, extracted, removed the extra </div> from the chapter's XHTML file, moved the other </div> at the end just before the closing </body>, and added two extra XHTML line-breaks after the table <br/><br/> so that it doesn't overlap the first line of the next paragraph.

Then I removed both copies from the device, and re-added the book using Calibre and voila - whole chapter III is now displayed properly!

Somewhere in another thread on this forum, I believe it discussed eBook pricing, someone mentioned that you're often buying a DIY eBook kit that you have to fix, convert, etc. Now I know what that meant. ;-)