Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
hello
Custom User Title
hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
why doesn't this have a frontlight by default yet?

why doesn't the third version of a product use a frontlight like seen so much elsewhere? is it expensive? impossible? or is it plain marketing?

hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello View Post
wh y doesn t the third version of a product use a frontlight like seen so much elsewhere? is it expensive? impossible? or is it plain marketing?

I can think of several reasons. First, if they try to implement a LightWedge style of frontlight, they'd have to license the tech from LightWedge. Second, if they don't use that tech, they'll have to invent their type - and that means whoever comes up with it can make all the others either have to come up with their *own* unique idea or pay a hefty licensing fee to that manufacturer.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Can such a lighting system be used with the larger surface area of the 800x600 readers without an obscene drain on the battery? I would imagine they would have to pump up the light output since the center of the screen would be much further away on a bigger device.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
Can such a lighting system be used with the larger surface area of the 800x600 readers without an obscene drain on the battery? I would imagine they would have to pump up the light output since the center of the screen would be much further away on a bigger device.

Which is why I believe an after-market LightWedge-like add-on would be a better idea - or add a separate switch on the reader to *TURN OFF* a built-in front-light.

Derek
Old 09-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
MikeF74
Groupie

well, obviously it would need its own switch. It would be silly to keep it on at all times.
Advert
Old 09-29-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
well, obviously it would need its own switch. It would be silly to keep it on at all times.
Maybe to the likes of you and me... But I've seen some *STRANGE* concept designs! I wouldn't put it past a manufacturer to 'forget' that *minor* detail.

Derek
Old 09-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
hello
Custom User Title

ver y curiou s if the cybook people are reading over here to join.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
hello
Custom User Title

i thin k it should be made so that when its sunny the light goes *ON* and when its really dark (but only when its *REALLY* dark), the light stays out. but that's in terms of a concept model only ofcoarse.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:47 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
i thin k it should be made so that when its sunny the light goes *ON* and when its really dark (but only when its *REALLY* dark), the light stays out. but that's in terms of a concept model only ofcoarse.
Isn't that backwards?
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:32 AM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
That is *SOOooo* Funny! That will be the model marketed to our vampire customers!

Yes, those of us who are 'mere mortals' will, by default, buy the other version.

Derek
Old 09-30-2007, 04:04 AM   #11
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Let me guess... aren't you a Microsoft engineer?
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
<rant> I vote NEVER put a light on any eink device EVER.
I'm tired of this bleeding argument. I mean seriously we've been reading books that *ahem* don't have a light source for centuries.
I mean for FSM's sake, if you are one of the very small minority that need to read in the dark with out turning on another light source, please go out and buy a bloody lightwedge or torch.</rant>
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:01 PM   #13
MikeF74
Groupie

THJahar,

While I don't much care about the lighting issue, it is obviously rather important to some. Yes, we've been reading printed books for 555 years now without built-in lighting. Then again, we've also been reading on some form of paper as well. By your logic, there's no need for an E-Ink device either. Progress isn't a bad thing. I think lighting will be a very nice feature for 3rd generation reader-sized devices.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by THJahar View Post
I'm tired of this bleeding argument.
That's the reason I don't much read the threads on DRM anymore (or the threads that have turned into such discussions). Others want to have them, let 'em, I just don't read 'em.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #15
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by THJahar View Post
<rant> I vote NEVER put a light on any eink device EVER.
I'm tired of this bleeding argument. I mean seriously we've been reading books that *ahem* don't have a light source for centuries.
I mean for FSM's sake, if you are one of the very small minority that need to read in the dark with out turning on another light source, please go out and buy a bloody lightwedge or torch.</rant>
Give that man a medal!
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote