Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 AM   #31
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'd need to see more movement on the HanLin to be interested. I like the touchscreen thing but I'd need more formats and better performance to be serious about them.

Alisa,

It depends. Isn't the Hanlin supposed to be able to handle FBReader (FB2) ebooks? But, of course, being able to handle FB2 doesn't really give access to the slough of ebooks in Mobi, eReader or secure PDF format...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:26 AM   #32
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Alisa, you are right about the Kindle. I totally left it out of my post.

As far as the Hanlin V3 goes, I really don't see it in the running. It uses WOL format and has no real support in terms of getting content onto it.
What I'm really afraid of is Amazon deciding - after all it owns Mobipocket - to shelve any deals with other manufacturers to include Mobi support in their eInk units. I mean, that would pretty much force customers to buy the Kindle if they want Mobi support, right?

Derek
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 02:59 AM   #33
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
To answer the points about HanLin: I have to admit that the support of .mobi and the future viability of .mobi as a format is a huge factor in my optimism for the any of the upcoming readers and a source of my hesitance to get involved with the Sony readers. My enthusiasm for the HanLin products hinges on their their open development and potential for adding file formats (.mobi being very high on that list).

If I were Amazon I would be reticent to lock down their format from other hardware. Other devices reading .mobi expands the market. Most people are going to need convincing to pay money for a reading device beyond their computer or smartphone. I doubt selling their reader hardware is going to be a big profit generator in itself. Likely it will be priced near cost to get people buying books. That cost will still seem high to the consumer. Trying to cut off other readers at this point would be an astoundingly boneheaded move in my opinion. Doesn't mean they won't do it, of course. I'd just be rather surprised.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:00 AM   #34
roncri
Enthusiast
roncri began at the beginning.

I'm not going to get in a pissing match about this. I did offer to help and did state my experience in August or September of 2006. I was told the board had been picked and they had everything they needed. As for "Family Business" you might want to take a look at this post. I assumed at the time that since it had been posted in the NAEB forum that the information was accurate.
roncri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:29 AM   #35
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncri View Post
I'm not going to get in a pissing match about this. I did offer to help and did state my experience in August or September of 2006. I was told the board had been picked and they had everything they needed. As for "Family Business" you might want to take a look at this post. I assumed at the time that since it had been posted in the NAEB forum that the information was accurate.
I wasn't aware. And even then, we probably wouldn't have wanted to go the VC route - but I would not have agreed to the 'Family Business' view.
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 03:33 AM   #36
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
To answer the points about HanLin: I have to admit that the support of .mobi and the future viability of .mobi as a format is a huge factor in my optimism for the any of the upcoming readers and a source of my hesitance to get involved with the Sony readers. My enthusiasm for the HanLin products hinges on their their open development and potential for adding file formats (.mobi being very high on that list).

If I were Amazon I would be reticent to lock down their format from other hardware. Other devices reading .mobi expands the market. Most people are going to need convincing to pay money for a reading device beyond their computer or smartphone. I doubt selling their reader hardware is going to be a big profit generator in itself. Likely it will be priced near cost to get people buying books. That cost will still seem high to the consumer. Trying to cut off other readers at this point would be an astoundingly boneheaded move in my opinion. Doesn't mean they won't do it, of course. I'd just be rather surprised.
Alisa,

We'd like to think so, wouldn't we... But since being purchased by Amazon, I haven't really *seen* much of a push to *add* new platforms to Mobi... (I'm not talking software development - I'm talking marketing and legal.)

I note several companies have stated for months they're enquiring, but none have made any definitive announcement of completed negotiations. I note this lack of rumors/news seems to have come about just about the time of Amazon's decision to leak it's plans for the Kindle. Hmmm...

But then, maybe I'm just a conspiracy nut.

Derek
Old 10-04-2007, 03:55 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Alisa,

We'd like to think so, wouldn't we... But since being purchased by Amazon, I haven't really *seen* much of a push to *add* new platforms to Mobi... (I'm not talking software development - I'm talking marketing and legal.)

I note several companies have stated for months they're enquiring, but none have made any definitive announcement of completed negotiations. I note this lack of rumors/news seems to have come about just about the time of Amazon's decision to leak it's plans for the Kindle. Hmmm...

But then, maybe I'm just a conspiracy nut.

Derek
Mobi support for the iLiad has been added in the last few months. The fact that that's been done, and that the iLiad Mobi reader is a portable Java one does give me hope for new platform support in the future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:29 AM   #38
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
It took over a year for the Iliad Mobipocket reader to appear after it was first discussed in their (mobipocket's) forums, so I guess it#s a lengthy procedure in other cases as well.

I really hope the Kindle is going to use mobipocket forumat at all, so far we don't have any real proof of that do we?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:34 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I really hope the Kindle is going to use mobipocket forumat at all, so far we don't have any real proof of that do we?
I don't believe we do, no, but why would Amazon buy MobiPocket and then not use it for their own bookreader? That would seem to be a rather decision to take. I'm reasonably confident that the Kindle will support MobiPocket.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote