Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #16
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
EDIT IN REMORSE:

I'm getting a bit snappy here I guess, forgotten that a firmware is in the future...

Last edited by Not_A_Crook; 12-07-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: cut out the stuff that made me sound like an idiot.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I can see a few cracked screens being reported by people trying to take off the back cover!!
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I can see a few cracked screens being reported by people trying to take off the back cover!!
Fortunately, this device seems to be built by some dense ABS enclosure, also, the inner case dimensions restrict the possibility of breaking the screen in doing that. According to the reviews.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #19
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post

It seems as if journalists AND gadget sites, along with standard ebook enthusiasts, want to snuff out the Nook

That or they honestly thought it was slow and they were being honest with their readers.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #20
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
That or they honestly thought it was slow and they were being honest with their readers.
I forgot what I said a couple of hours ago, I wonder where the dang delete button is.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #21
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I haven't used an eInk device yet, so I don't know how well I'll be able to handle refresh rates, etc. But it looks faster than many of the e-book programs I used (although the old reliable eBookwise turns pages faster than the eInk devices I've seen demonstrated ).

Then again, I remember when I used to have time to make a sandwich when I was using some e-book programs on the Palm -- especially when I was opening stuff on the SD card. Heckm, when I used later versions of MobiPocket, I had time to make Beef Wellington.

Well, mine supposedly ships on the 18th, so I'll see...
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just saw a review on CBS and they also noted that the BN Nook was VERY SLOW compared to Amazon Kindle and Sony.

Thus, I stay with my Sony PRS 505 for occasional reading and Sony eReader for PC for most of my reading.

I downloaded Amazon Kindle for PC and it is very PRIMITIVE compared to the Sony software. One more reason to stay with Sony.

My ophthalmologist, who has an Amazon Kindle, said its contrast is so poor that he cannot read it.
Sony has nothing to do with eReader. It's B&N who support eReader on the nook.

And if your doctor thinks the Kindle's contrast is too poor to read, then he/she has rather poor eyesight and why would you want to go to an ophthalmologist who cannot see properly?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 AM   #23
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
concensus? why dont you just get your laziness out to the the BN store and try it on. I tried it out today- not slow at all. Just wait till amazon goes to touch screen- whooooaaaa!!
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #24
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I won't complain about it until I have it in my hands and judge for myself
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote