Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #31
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Are you referring to the screensaver screen? I haven't updated to 1.2 yet, so I don't know about all the changes.

All of the original screensavers on the NOOK ST have the black bar with the "press the N button below" as part of the design. I replaced the screensavers with some custom designs I preferred and eliminated the black bar.

Marty
With 1.2 that info bar is written over your custom screensaver images, too.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #32
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Are you referring to the screensaver screen? I haven't updated to 1.2 yet, so I don't know about all the changes.

All of the original screensavers on the NOOK ST have the black bar with the "press the N button below" as part of the design. I replaced the screensavers with some custom designs I preferred and eliminated the black bar.

Marty
I use a custom design as well, and the bar now appears on those. Maybe because they were on the device when the update happened. Next time I connect to a PC, I'll try and reload some to see what happens.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #33
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I use a custom design as well, and the bar now appears on those. Maybe because they were on the device when the update happened. Next time I connect to a PC, I'll try and reload some to see what happens.
Just checked--the image files on the device are unchanged. So apparently we're stuck with the bar now.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #34
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Much more worrisome is the fact that I keep seeing errors in the TOC displayed by v1.2. It's duplicating entries, sometimes all of them.

And it seems to be losing my place in the current book when I plug and unplug it from the computer more often.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #35
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Rich_D, JimmXinu,

Thanks for the info.

Like many people, I avoid the home screen, don't use shelves, and don't connect to the internet or PC with a side-loaded book open. This has avoided most of the glitches that 1.2 is supposed to fix.

Don't like hearing about TOC problems or the black bar. I use a solid black screensaver and turn off wifi when I go through airport security with my Nook. It looks more "turned-off" with an all black screen than with a default screen. The black bar might prompt a strategy change.

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #36
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I just want to confirm what others have said - with 1.2, the "press N..." black bar at the bottom DOES appear even if you use a custom screen-saver. This is new, because I'd even forgotten that blurb existed till I installed 1.2 and there it was, below my custom screen image(s).
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #37
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I haven't noticed any TOC errors, but I rarely look at the TOC when I read, so I probably wouldn't notice a difference. Also not having any difficulties keeping my place in a book. The black bar is the only thing I've noticed with the new upgrade.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #38
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Removing page numbers from the ToC is annoying, since with side-loaded books I now have no way of knowing how many pages are left in a chapter without clicking the next chapter and seeing what page it's on.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #39
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Removing page numbers from the ToC is annoying, since with side-loaded books I now have no way of knowing how many pages are left in a chapter without clicking the next chapter and seeing what page it's on.
Yes, it is annoying. However, the number of pages left is still there if you select the Go To option rather than Contents.

After reading several hundred pages of the book that was previously illegible, I must say that I am really happy with the changes to the font formatting and ghosting! The text is much cleaner and has reduced eye strain. Although I'd still be happier if there was an optional setting to adjust frequency of the page refresh.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #40
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Yes, it is annoying. However, the number of pages left is still there if you select the Go To option rather than Contents
For Nook books, yes. Side-loaded books just tell you how many pages are left in the book altogether. Which is better than what it was before the update, when it just said "0 pages left."
Old 12-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #41
irishtexmex
Enthusiast
irishtexmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voygae (Old: B&N Nook ST)
So by "Page 1 of 1 being fixed"... Does that mean when using Calibre I don't have to delete every book on the device and then reload them + the new book I'm trying to add?

Because that's what I currently have to do to avoid the Page 1 of 1/no nook cover issue.
irishtexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #42
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
For Nook books, yes. Side-loaded books just tell you how many pages are left in the book altogether. Which is better than what it was before the update, when it just said "0 pages left."
I own very few Nook books. My sideloaded books show pages left in the chapter.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #43
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
I own very few Nook books. My sideloaded books show pages left in the chapter.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...55F3955D1D.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...55F7FCEEC0.jpg
Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #44
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I checked several sideloaded books and the only ones that show the pages to end of book rather than chapter are the ones that don't have a ToC. Perhaps there is something about your book's formatting that makes the Nook count the pages this way.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #45
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
I checked several sideloaded books and the only ones that show the pages to end of book rather than chapter are the ones that don't have a ToC. Perhaps there is something about your book's formatting that makes the Nook count the pages this way.
I'm sure it is, but since I don't know what it is I can't fix it. The Nook has always displayed "0 pages left in chapter" on side-loaded books but I've been able to see how many pages are left in a chapter using the ToC. Now I can't.

Tags
1.2.1, firmware, update