Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-28-2008, 01:45 AM   #16
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'm not a romance fan - but I love the novels of Anne Tyler; 'Accidental Tourist', 'Back When We Were Grownups' are good 'uns .

Orwell's '1984' might also fit the bill of non-stereotypical romances.

Also, PG has "The Young Visiters or, Mr Salteena's Plan" a romance written by a 9-year old Daisy Ashford.

Last edited by Sparrow; 03-28-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:26 AM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Since I just reread Frederica I can recommend Georgette Heyer's regency romances.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Suite/3088/Heyer.html

recommends some suitable books to start with.

I suppose these romances are different since they are so fun to read and often they are comedy of manners.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Anything by Steve Miller and Sharon Lee, especially Liaden novels.
There are sample chapters available at Baen.
Start here.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #19
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Whew, the list grows longer, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Have you read "When the Wind Blows" by Patterson?
No, I haven't, but the book is cheap and sounds interesting so I'll add it to my wishlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemccloudxx View Post
One author that I can recommend here is Christine Feehan. I've only read the Ghostwalker books and the Drake Sisters. The stories have interesting plots and characters and strong romantic elements, though I found myself more often than not skipping the sex scenes.
Hm, at first look they seem to be your typical paranormal romance novels, but I'll read a sample and decide then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can highly recommend Exit to Eden by Anne Rice. The book is very good. The movie however is awful.
The description doesn't really sound like something I had in mind more like SM eroticism, but I'll take a look at it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
The Thornbirds, Colleen McCullough
Gone With the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand
Doctor Zhivago, Boris Pasternak
The Thorn Birds and The Fountainhead sound good, I'm not sure about the other two, but Gone With the Wind is available at Feedbooks so I have downloaded it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemccloudxx View Post
Here's a really good one: Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy (fantasy)

Something lighter: A Quest For Chameleon, Piers Anthony (the rest of the series gradually goes down hill)
The Black Jewels trilogy seems to be interesting, I've added it to my wishlist.
Actually I've already read many of Piers Anthony's Xanth books when I was younger, but they were rather light and satirical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Here are some more:

Cold Mountain, Charles Frazier
The Far Pavilions, M.M. Kaye
Added to my wishlist, though I'm not sure about Cold Mountain yet – some reviews mention it to be rather verbose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'm not a romance fan - but I love the novels of Anne Tyler; 'Accidental Tourist', 'Back When We Were Grownups' are good 'uns .

Orwell's '1984' might also fit the bill of non-stereotypical romances.

Also, PG has "The Young Visiters or, Mr Salteena's Plan" a romance written by a 9-year old Daisy Ashford.
Accidental Tourist sounds like I will like it, added to my wishlist.
I've already read 1984 and yes, the romance-part, if you can call it that, is very non-stereotypical.
The Young Visiters doesn't appeal to me on first look, but it's free so I'll take a second look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Since I just reread Frederica I can recommend Georgette Heyer's regency romances.
I think, I'll try Venetia first, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Anything by Steve Miller and Sharon Lee, especially Liaden novels.
I can't really say what to expect judging from the description on Webscriptions as it isn't very specific to say the least, but I'll read some of the sample chapters.

Thanks again to all of you!
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Icehand,

Someone just recommended "The Time Traveler's Wife" to me. Here is a review

http://www.mostlyfiction.com/scifi/niffenegger.htm

from which I quote:

"You might say the The Time Traveler’s Wife is a love story with a time traveling twist, or a time travel story with a romantic twist."

I haven't read it, but I am adding it to my list. Not sure if I can find it as an eBook though.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #21
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Someone just recommended "The Time Traveler's Wife" to me. Here is a review

http://www.mostlyfiction.com/scifi/niffenegger.htm

from which I quote:

"You might say the The Time Traveler’s Wife is a love story with a time traveling twist, or a time travel story with a romantic twist."

I haven't read it, but I am adding it to my list. Not sure if I can find it as an eBook though.
The Time Traveler's Wife is definitely a love story. I don't know that I'd call it a romance. I can, however, wholeheartedly recommend it.

Amazon classifies it under Science Fiction and Fantasy. When I read it in 2004, I wrote, "Well, first, I disagree that this falls into the category of Science Fiction and Fantasy. It's plain and simple a love story. Yep, there's the interesting device that one main character is a time traveler and it adds some complications to the lives of those who know and love him. But, the book can and will be enjoyed by people who don't like SF as a genre."
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #22
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Um, I don't want to be rude or anything, but actually in the beginning of this thread I mentioned The Time Traveler's Wife as a good example of what I am looking for. So yeah, I've already read it and liked it a lot.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Um, I don't want to be rude or anything, but actually in the beginning of this thread I mentioned The Time Traveler's Wife as a good example of what I am looking for. So yeah, I've already read it and liked it a lot.
Sorry, remembered the thread from a few days ago, got that book reco'd to me, thought it would be a good fit. Guess I didn't remember the details... and I didn't re-read the OP of course.

BOb
Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
BTW: Your message was a bit rude.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #25
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
BTW: Your message was a bit rude.
Hey, I'm sorry. I appreciate that you remembered this thread and recommended me the book.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #26
jennifermcb
jennifermcb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 & Nook
I would suggest Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.
jennifermcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #27
wetterau
wetterau has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none yet
love story rec

You might like Every Story Is A Love Story, a novella packaged with Joe Burke's Last Stand for free at www.memoware.com in various formats and stand alone in a Kindle version, www.amazon.com. It takes place in Woodstock in the early 60's, just before the festival. Also, O+F, at the same url's, a steamier novel set in Maine and Hawaii. I wrote them. Enjoy. J
wetterau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #28
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
If you are looking for a good love story that is non-traditional, check out Ken Grimwood's Replay.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #29
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would suggest some of Annie Proulx's work. The Shipping News is good, but for my tastes Accordion Crimes contains more bang for your buck. I've not read more than those two, but only because I am savouring them over years (Postcards, I own, and it will be next, and then I think I'll start on the shorties).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #30
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
I second the recommendation for Diana Galbadon's Outlander series. The books really defy categorization; while love pays a large part, it's not a romance, it's time travel but not sci-fi. The Firey Cross was a bit of a drag, but the latest book in the series, A Breath of Snow and Ashes, was just great.
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote