Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
HarryPutnam
HarryPutnam began at the beginning.

Device: soney ebook library
ebook Library (sony) vs Adobe Digital Editions

I wasn't sure where to ask about this so please direct me if this is the wrong forum.

I'm using the freebie `Ebook library' sony offers for free download because the library seems more complete in the genre I like reading (crime fiction/mystery) than what I find available for the `Adobe Digital Editions' freebie reader.

However the sony freebie seems to be really clunky compared to the adobe offering. I can't get the type size down to reasonable size even with the smallest setting and the available controls are provided in a more primitive way.

I wondered if I were to get the payfor reader if it would be a little more sophisticated and at least as handy as the Adobe freebie.

Because of the clunkyness factor I'm looking for a way to buy the books thru the ebook library but read them with the Adobe Digital Editions software. I wondered is someone here can tell me how that might be done and/or offer some comments on the quality or sophistication of the pay for Sony reader.
HarryPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPutnam View Post
I wasn't sure where to ask about this so please direct me if this is the wrong forum.

I'm using the freebie `Ebook library' sony offers for free download because the library seems more complete in the genre I like reading (crime fiction/mystery) than what I find available for the `Adobe Digital Editions' freebie reader.

However the sony freebie seems to be really clunky compared to the adobe offering. I can't get the type size down to reasonable size even with the smallest setting and the available controls are provided in a more primitive way.

I wondered if I were to get the payfor reader if it would be a little more sophisticated and at least as handy as the Adobe freebie.

Because of the clunkyness factor I'm looking for a way to buy the books thru the ebook library but read them with the Adobe Digital Editions software. I wondered is someone here can tell me how that might be done and/or offer some comments on the quality or sophistication of the pay for Sony reader.
I doubt if you will get a Sony compatible reader for a PC except from Sony. However, you are likely to get a Digital Editions compatible Reader for your PRS-505. It is a long overdue commitment from Sony to provide it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't closely follow the Sony Portable Reader forums, and I had never heard of the eBook Library Software as a stand-alone product. However, it is indeed advertised as a Desktop PC solution, with optional PRS-50X.

All Windows-based ebook reading software is free. Unless you expect to buy a PRS-505 portable reader, your best Windows options are MobiPocket, or MS Reader, or perhaps eReader. The MS LIT format is the best of the older generation of formats, but MobiPocket's MOBI/PC format is the most widely supported on E-Ink devices and probably has the most titles.

The advantage of Adobe Digital Editions is that it supports the best format of all, ePub. However, ePub is new and there are relatively few .epub ebooks available. If you go with ePub, then for a while you will be buying or downloading LIT ebooks and converting them to ePub (very easy to do).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Mobipocket and MS Reader are Windows only. eReader and DigitalEditions both have Windows and Mac versions. eReader is the most liberal DRM format... no device limit. However, there are no eInk device readers at this time if you plan to get one in the future. However, Astak/Fictionwise are planning to release one or more this year.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
So far the two best readers I've seen are Adobe Digital and Mobipocket. Personally I think Mobi is quite a bit better.

However since both are free I'd wouldn't settle on one solution.

Both have search/bookmarks and easy book navigation. What MobiPocket has over adobe is RSS feeds and dictionary capability. Also Mobi

One note however if you have a DRM book adobe requires access to the internet to validate your book. Mobi just requires you register a mobile device.

With Mobipocket I can read mobi books on my computer and on my cell phone which is as Windows Mobile phone. They currently have a Java viewer in alpha

As for book content you said you read Crime Fiction/Mystery. Check out http://fictionwise.com/
If you buy the membership, strongly recommend you will get price breaks that are much cheaper than the sony store.

Fiction wise also sells books in PDF and Mobi so you can use both platforms with Fictionwise

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
ejereader
ejereader began at the beginning.

Device: 505
I have a Sony 505. When I first began downloading books form a public library, using Adobe Digital Editions, I had no problem. However, recently, I have to authorize the Adobe Digital Edition required EVERY TIME, or worse, have to upgrade, even though I have the most up to date version.

Secondly, and perhaps even more important, I no longer can download at all. The book does appear to download, but inevitably I get an error message.

When I used the help at Adobe, they actually told me to update the software! Since this is a constant it did not work

Any ideas?
Any alternatives to Adobe Digital Editions that will work with the library ebooks and transfer to my 505?

ej
ejereader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebookreader