Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
bells
bells began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
hardware backlight control for brightness?

Sorry if this is common knowledge/covered elsewhere, but I'm having trouble finding out if any ereader apps on iOS support my #1 feature, a brightness slider which actually lowers the backlight. I read a lot in the dark and like to have the screen quite dim for that use. This is not simply a case of making the white text darker, but actually lowering the backlight intensity so that the black background dims as well. It's astonishing how bright black can be!

Anyway, I currently have an Android phone and use an ereader app which does this very well (slide your finger up or down along the left edge and the backlight adjusts). I'm seriously considering switching back to an iPhone in the near future, but this is sort of a make-or-break feature for me. Does an app with this functionality exist on iOS 5?

Much thanks in advance for any suggestions.
bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Apple's own iBooks app can control the hardware brightness. Though last I checked Apple was keeping this feature proprietary, so no other apps on the app store support it. This isn't a big deal on the iPad, since there is a brightness slider in the multitasking bar, though the only option you would have on the iPhone is to jailbreak and install something like SBSettings.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Apple's own iBooks app can control the hardware brightness. Though last I checked Apple was keeping this feature proprietary, so no other apps on the app store support it.
Apple now allows control of hardware brightness, but it is a recent change -- I think with iOS 5. A few apps have been updated to use it, notably Instapaper, but I have not seen it in any ebook reader apps besides iBooks, at least not yet.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
bells
bells began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thanks for the detailed info! It sounds like this feature may become somewhat more common soon, so an iPhone might be an option for me.
bells is offline   Reply With Quote