Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
lovebelle
lovebelle began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise
Cant Register ETI2

So I was able to get a great deal on an ETI2 today. So I get home and followed the prompt to refurbish to clear previous info and attempt registering it and it kept popping up an error. After attempting this a few times I then got a message saying that my device has reached its maximum number of resets. ?????? What???

So I emailed support and they were helpful for a while but then the guy stopped responding to my messages all together. No resolution!

So in a nutshell, I am not too concerned with being able to use ebookwise or fictionwise. But would like to use the reader. Am I able to upload books directly to the SM card if I get a device that can read the card? Or is impossible without registering it first. I feel like I wasted money and really would love to be able to use this since Im traveling ina couple weeks. HELP!!!!
lovebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
It should work just fine without registering. As you noted, you will need a card reader that supports SmartMedia cards but they are available.

Did you try www.ebooktechnologies.com or www.ebookwise.com for support? eBookwise may be tapering off support since the acquisition.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
lovebelle

Yeah I was corresponding with a technician via email, but they could not resolve the issue. In the end he recommended I download some application onto my smartcard and try that. Im not sure if I will do that though.

I ordered a smartcard reader on ebay and once it arrives I will see how that works out for me.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Sounds like he wanted you to do a firmware update.

The files are at http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/migration.htm

I've done mine (the REB1200) and know of at least 2 other people that have also migrated their readers without too much trouble.

You don't really need to migrate unless you are at the firmware level that won't let you directly load personal content to the reader. I don't remember what version that is but think it's somewhere around 3. The current is 4.22 something or other.

The eBookwise Librarian will let you send ebooks directly to a card in a reader and will put them in the right place on the card even if the reader is not registered.

Michael
Old 06-26-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
lovebelle

I downloaded a free trial of the ebookwise librarian but cant figure out how to upload onto the card. I click on "export to" but do not know how to search or select the card in the device.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:23 AM   #6
250 Coupe
Groupie

You won't be able to directly load a book with the card in the eBookwise. You'll need to wait for your card reader to arrive and export the book to the card while it's plugged into the card reader.

The card reader will show up in My Computer as a removable drive, in my case it's drive G: so my path is G:\ebooks

Sorry for giving you the impression that it would work in the eBookwise itself.

Please be aware that the SmartMedia cards are electrically fragile. DO NOT INSERT or REMOVE the card with the reader on. It can damage the eBookwise and/or the card. I have folded a small piece of tape over the edge of my card to make a little tab or handle that makes getting the card out of the eBookwise much easier.

You may want to read up on Nick's impserve, you may be able to load books directly onto the eBookwise with out it being registered.

Check out this thread (it's a sticky at the top of this sub-forum), https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28363

Michael
Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
lovebelle

Thanks!

I got the smartcard reader in mail today and was able to successfully download books directly onto the reader. So Thanks! I was getting a little anxiety wondering if I had wasted money, but everything seems to be working well.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
250 Coupe
Groupie

Yea!

Glad I could help.

Michael