Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #76
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Thanks.

I don't use windows and do use linux. I have no adobe id and have never run ADE. I did not know it was possible to use ADE without adobe id/account.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #77
lazyreadr
lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'lazyreadr understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo Libra
Paranoia is the fear of things that are highly unlikely to happen. And it roams also in the internet.

However that knowledge (also about customers) is power and this knowledge can be used against your interests is not paranoia but a matter of fact. And fairly well known substantiated with scientific research.

There is a whole industry researching customer habits and designing marketing strategies to make you buy things that the company wants you to buy.

If a company knows you might be willing to pay more they will offer you a worse deal. Dynamic pricing is a reality. Not yet in all business branches, but it is increasing and some cases were well documented.

If something is profitable, legal and not too likely to destroy the reputation of a company, then they will do it, no matter how "moral" it is.

Only information that does not exist cannot be used again you.

Privacy by design (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_by_design) is actually a common sense principle, not paranoia.

Paranoia is e.g. not using fluorinated toothpaste, categorically not using vaccines and similar ideas.

Last edited by lazyreadr; 01-19-2020 at 03:38 PM.
lazyreadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:20 AM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Sorry for the delay. I don't think I could link here to Aprentice Alf page (even when the topic isn't related to DRM itself).
You are allowed to link to Apprentice Alf.

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #79
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Thanks.

I don't use windows and do use linux. I have no adobe id and have never run ADE. I did not know it was possible to use ADE without adobe id/account.
You're welcome!

The guide in the wiki works fine in ubuntu 18.04: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ADE_2.0.1_Linux

The step which is not in the guide is to install Python2.7 and Pycrypto. That is needed for the calibre plugin to find the relevant key.

Another thing I usually do is to create a .desktop entry for the program that handles the .ascm mimetype. For that I download an icon and store it on /usr/share/pixmaps/ade.png and create the new file in /usr/share/applications/ade.desktop with contents:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Adobe Digital Editions
Exec=ade %f
Icon=ade
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=Office;Viewer;
MimeType=application/vnd.adobe.adept+xml
As you can notice "ade" is just a wrapper for the entire program invokation under wine, which in my case is:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
WINEPREFIX=~/.win32 wine ~/.win32/drive_c/Program\ Files/ADE/DigitalEditions.exe
but needs to match the path where you installed wine and the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are allowed to link to Apprentice Alf.

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
Thanks JSWolf, Good link
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #80
DejaVu123
DejaVu123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (Edition 1)
back from the dead!

Wow...I only made my account for the purpose of asking the original question, I had no idea it had become 6 pages long! I have been reading through the discussions and the points brought up are very interesting! I got a Kobo Aura H20 over Christmas which I am very happy with. I also sent an email to the Kobo Support and they have stopped the use of my data with third-party companies, so I'm happy with that. I guess I'll have to set up notifications so I won't miss any more interesting discussions like this one!
DejaVu123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaVu123 View Post
Wow...I only made my account for the purpose of asking the original question, I had no idea it had become 6 pages long! I have been reading through the discussions and the points brought up are very interesting! I got a Kobo Aura H20 over Christmas which I am very happy with. I also sent an email to the Kobo Support and they have stopped the use of my data with third-party companies, so I'm happy with that. I guess I'll have to set up notifications so I won't miss any more interesting discussions like this one!
Congratulations on your new Kobo Aura H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:12 PM   #82
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyreadr View Post
Paranoia is the fear of things that are highly unlikely to happen..
No, that's a very poor definition. That more closely describes vigilance.

A fear of things that are highly unlikely to happen is very often how we keep KEEP those things unlikely, as long as that fear isn't debilitating. It's why we have fire extinguishers, and why we don't have more incidents like the Challenger disaster.

I prefer this dictionary definition of paranoia:
"suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification."

Last edited by ApK; 02-08-2020 at 06:17 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap ereader, help for a newbie, open source, privacy.