Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2020, 05:17 AM   #1
Iseabel
Iseabel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Choosing between Onyx Boox Poke Pro/Nova Pro or other

I hope that I post this in the right place, and that it's okay to ask for advice here.

I'm a happy user of Kobo Glo HD, however for some time now I've been thinking about getting an e-reader that would allow me to also read e-books from various subscriptions. I'm not too technically savvy, so I would like to buy an e-reader that would allow me to install reading applications easily. I would like to be able to use applications such as Kindle, Bookmate, Hoopla, so I'm thinking anything with Android 6.0 should be the best option (sadly, Bookmate only works on Android 5.0 and up).

After doing some research, I found that Onyx Boox might be the best choice for me, however I have trouble choosing the best device.

The ereader that has all that I need is Onyx Boox Poke Pro, however it's no longer available in my country (I even tried writing to the distributor, but with no luck). I could buy it from a shop abroad, but I'm quite worried about possible trouble with warranty/sending back my e-reader if anything happens, and how that would be done.

The only devices that are still available here are Onyx Boox Poke, and the more expensive ones. So I was wondering, to anyone who has experience with Onyx e-readers, do you think it would be better to get a more advanced device, such as Nova Pro or does Onyx support their older e-readers even after they're withdrawn from the shops?

I'm having a really hard time deciding what to choose, because on one hand I could buy Nova Pro easily from our local shops and not worry about warranty, but I think the e-reader might be too fancy for me, as I only need it for reading. But then I'm not sure if when I buy the Poke Pro, how much longer will it be supported by the company.

I'd be very grateful for any advice or suggestions. Thank you.
Iseabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The Poke Pro is generally an excellent device. However it contains a bug so that at first it doesn't recognize a long press. You have to do it twice. If you plan to look up lots of words in the dictionary, it is annoying. Apart from that, the Poke is very good. It will run most apps.

If you get one, either buy it from Onyx or from the re-seller Booxter in Germany. He is reliable.

If all you want to do is read books from multiple sources, you can already do that on the Kobo.

Learn how to remove DRM in Calibre. Also, if you decide to stay with your Kobo, I recommend you install Koreader, though you don't need to.

It is always a better experience to remove DRM from a book, convert it to epub and sideload it onto your ereader. It's not hard. Using an app like the kindle app on an ereader is not as good.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 01-08-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
Iseabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The Poke Pro is generally an excellent device. However it contains a bug so that at first it doesn't recognize a long press. You have to do it twice. If you plan to look up lots of words in the dictionary, it is annoying. Apart from that, the Poke is very good. It will run most apps.

If you get one, either buy it from Onyx or from the re-seller Booxter in Germany. He is reliable.

If all you want to do is read books from multiple sources, you can already do that on the Kobo.

Learn how to remove DRM in Calibre. Also, if you decide to stay with your Kobo, I recommend you install Koreader, though you don't need to.

It is always a better experience to remove DRM from a book, convert it to epub and sideload it onto your ereader. It's not hard. Using an app like the kindle app on an ereader is not as good.
Thank you so much for your reply! I probably should have mentioned it, but I am using Calibre to load my Kindle ebooks onto my Kobo. I just thought I might try using the Kindle application on the new ereader (together with other reading applications) but if you say that it doesn't work well, I will keep that in mind.

Some of the ebook subscriptions that I use only allow reading ebooks in their Android application, so the only solution I could think of is getting a new e-reader.

Thank you for all your advice, I think that I will get Poke Pro after all. I rarely use dictionaries, I may only need to press the screen to highlight quotes, unless Poke Pro does it differently. Buying Nova Pro will be easier, but I think Poke Pro should be enough for my needs.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
I have a Poke Pro, and my son has a Nova Pro. We both upgraded from Kindles.

If you're just reading books, despite being cheaper I think the Poke is a better device than the Nova. Due to it's smaller size and weight it's more comfortable to hold. Without the Wacom layer, the screen is sharper for text.

The Nova is a better device for my son as he wants to be able to draw as well as read. And he reads comics on it which benefit from the bigger screen.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
Iseabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
I have a Poke Pro, and my son has a Nova Pro. We both upgraded from Kindles.

If you're just reading books, despite being cheaper I think the Poke is a better device than the Nova. Due to it's smaller size and weight it's more comfortable to hold. Without the Wacom layer, the screen is sharper for text.

The Nova is a better device for my son as he wants to be able to draw as well as read. And he reads comics on it which benefit from the bigger screen.
Thank you very much for your advice and comparison! I was a bit wary about the wacom screen, even more so that I didn't need the ereader for writing. I'm also very happy that you find Poke Pro light and comfortable to hold, because I find my Huawei tablet much too heavy to hold for longer periods of time (it's where I'm doing part of my reading now).

I've finally ordered Poke Pro and hopefully I shall receive it next week, and I'm very excited to start using it.

Tags
onyx boox, onyx boox nova pro, onyx boox poke pro