Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-02-2021, 02:01 AM   #1
apricoto
Enthusiast
apricoto began at the beginning.

Device: HP X360 11", Win10
marking book as 'read'

How can I indicate that I have already read/finished a particular book? Some sort of mark, tag, banner?

I have looked at metadata, and addons, but haven't figured this out.
apricoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:11 AM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quickest way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-02-02 03_08_21-calibre - Preferences - Add your own columns.png
Views:	260
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	185158

Then restart.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2021, 02:42 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When I add a book, a step in my Intake workflow is to clear the Date (F2 in the cell, press '-', press Enter). When I finish a book I set the Date to Today (F2 in the cell, press '=', press Enter).

The Date column defaults to the date a book was added to the library, but I have never needed to know that. I like this method because it works on any library.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #4
apricoto
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Quickest way.

Attachment 185158

Then restart.
Ok, I did that. I didn't know that there is a book list. I see the book covers. Where is the book list?
Old 02-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #5
apricoto
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
When I add a book, a step in my Intake workflow is to clear the Date (F2 in the cell, press '-', press Enter). When I finish a book I set the Date to Today (F2 in the cell, press '=', press Enter).

The Date column defaults to the date a book was added to the library, but I have never needed to know that. I like this method because it works on any library.

BR

I'm afraid that I have no idea what you are referring to. Clear what date? where?
Advert
Old 02-02-2021, 08:08 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@apricoto: How to show that books have been read is a fairly common question here. So common, that it gets asked most weeks. A search here will find the discussions.

But, there are several common ways to do it:
  • A custom Y/N column. Which is what @ownedbycats has suggested
  • A custom column for the date read.
  • Set the rating.
  • Add a "read" tag to the tags.
  • Use a custom column for the percent read.
  • Use a custom column for status (such as "to read", "reading", "read" etc).
  • Use the Reading List plugin and with lists for each status you track.
  • Re-purpose an existing column, such as what @BetterRead does with the Date column.

Or some combination of the above. What people do depend on what they want to track. I think the first three or four are the most common methods. The rating and using a tag are probably the easiest as they do not require changes o

Personally, I use the custom date column plus the percent read column. The columns are automatically updated from my Kobo ereader when I connect it (courtesy of my Kobo Utilities plugin). Then I move the book to the appropriate Reading list (from "toRead" to "Reading" to "Finished") and set the rating when it is finished.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:56 PM   #7
apricoto
Enthusiast

I remain clueless, as I mentioned in a previous comment, regarding the locations of the suggested columns, ratings, dates, etc etc.

I see none of these, nor do I find any references to them, in preferences, on the tool bar, available addons, etc.

Since this is a frequently asked about feature, seems odd that it is not easily accessible. Or mentioned in faq.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:19 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre does not have a "native" way to mark books as read. Using the rating column or adding a tag is the closest you can get. The key term for most of the suggestions is "custom column". That is a column you add to calibre to store the information you want for each book. You do this in the preferences and the screenshot @ownedbycats posted showed an example of doing this.

But, the first thing you need to decide is how you want to indicate a book is read. Or how much information you need. Do you need when you read it? Do you rate the books? Or is a simple yes/no enough?
Old 02-02-2021, 11:49 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by apricoto View Post
I'm afraid that I have no idea what you are referring to. Clear what date? where?
@apricoto - Date is a standard Column, part of the calibre furniture.

Lets say it's Christmas Day and I add the book that was under the tree:

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-03 151922.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	185181

I press F2 key on the Date Cell and press '-', the Date changes to 'Undefined':

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-03 152701.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	185185

When I press Enter the Date is blank/empty:

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-03 152029.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	185182

When I finish reading the book, I press F2 in the Date cell and press '=', it changes to current date and time:

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-03 152136.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	185183

When I press Enter the Date is current date and time:

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-03 152235.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	185184

So, because the Date cell is not empty I know I've read the book, AND I know when I finished reading it.

There's a Tweak to set the format of Date, I like dates in a military format:

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-03 154247.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	185186

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-02-2021 at 11:52 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by apricoto View Post
Ok, I did that. I didn't know that there is a book list. I see the book covers. Where is the book list?
Turn off the cover view to see the list (spreadsheet) view. To do that, click the "Layout" button at the bottom right then choose Hide for the cover grid.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	185200  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #11
apricoto
Enthusiast

@ Betterred: thanks, this is helpful, and led me to include a comment column.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #12
apricoto
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Turn off the cover view to see the list (spreadsheet) view. To do that, click the "Layout" button at the bottom right then choose Hide for the cover grid.

this is the missing bit. I didn't know that this view is possible. Apparently it is such common knowledge that other commenters assumed that I knew what they were referring to.

thanks.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #13
BoschBabe
BoschBabe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra and Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Quickest way.
[image deleted.]
Then restart.
Thank you!!

kathy
BoschBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:02 AM   #14
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Calibre does not have a "native" way to mark books as read. Using the rating column or adding a tag is the closest you can get. The key term for most of the suggestions is "custom column". That is a column you add to calibre to store the information you want for each book. You do this in the preferences and the screenshot @ownedbycats posted showed an example of doing this.

But, the first thing you need to decide is how you want to indicate a book is read. Or how much information you need. Do you need when you read it? Do you rate the books? Or is a simple yes/no enough?
I have set up the "Read?" column as per ownedbycats, and connected my Clara HD.

Nothing shows as read, should this automatically get that information from the eBook?

If so, does it only work for books read after the column has been added?

Thank you for the all the help.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
I have set up the "Read?" column as per ownedbycats, and connected my Clara HD.

Nothing shows as read, should this automatically get that information from the eBook?

If so, does it only work for books read after the column has been added?

Thank you for the all the help.
That isn't the way to do it if you want to update the reading status from a Kobo device. For that, you need my Kobo Utilities plugin. You then need to configure the plugin and columns needed. The plugin has help for this. I recommend reading that as a starting point and then asking questions as needed.