Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-26-2021, 05:43 AM   #1
zoliky
zoliky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What size do you use for covers?

Hello, I imported several ebooks into Calibre however I noticed each one has a different-sized cover. I think I can find their cover JPG online in a larger size then crop it to my liking, but I was wondering if there is a standard size that can be used to make all them look the same size. I only use a Kindle Paperwhite device so if they look good on that I'm happy with it.
zoliky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:08 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoliky View Post
Hello, I imported several ebooks into Calibre however I noticed each one has a different-sized cover. I think I can find their cover JPG online in a larger size then crop it to my liking, but I was wondering if there is a standard size that can be used to make all them look the same size. I only use a Kindle Paperwhite device so if they look good on that I'm happy with it.
It depends on the cover size. If the cover is smaller then 1600 lines or a generic cover, I try to find a large cover. Once I find the cover I want, I copy the image and then load the eBook into the editor and paste the cover over the existing cover. Then I reduce the size to 1600 lines. I fix the cover HTML as needed and make any other changes I want. Then after I am done and the eBook is saved, I use the metadata editor from the main GUI and I extract the cover so the main view has the correct cover. I also extract the metdadata if I've made nay changes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:20 AM   #3
zoliky
zoliky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you. That is helpful information. I appreciate your time.
I'm not exactly sure about lines, is that a unit of measurement like pixels?
zoliky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you. That is helpful information. I appreciate your time.
I'm not exactly sure about lines, is that a unit of measurement like pixels?
1600 lines is the height. Yes, it is 1600px but vertically.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #5
BlackBlythe
BlackBlythe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Hi, you might find the plugin "Resize covers" useful. I defined the size I wanted to use in my library and the plugin resizes all covers to that same size.
BlackBlythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I pretty much standardized on the Fantastic Fictions most common size.
I see no advantage of a super Hi-Res cover, so my setting in Resize cover is : 450x680 ONLY SHRINK
(blown up Low-Res is almost as bad as not maintaining Aspect.Give me Letterbox over distortion any day)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote