Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-19-2021, 02:57 AM   #1
YaggyGod
YaggyGod began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which one should I get? Kobo Aura H20 or Basic Kindle 2019

I'm currently stuck on buying an e-reader, the available in our country is Kobo Aura H20 and a Basic Kindle 2019. What do you guys think should I get? Why and why not?
Kobo has expandable memory while Kindle has only 8GB of storage. I'm into LN and Manga. Thanks for the advice.
YaggyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:42 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle Basic is a horrible Reader. It's only 6" with a low res screen (800x600). It's obsolete.

I have a Kobo Aura H2O and a PW3 and I prefer to read with the H2O. I like the larger 6.8" screen and it's nice and clear/sharp. For reading manga, you do want the larger screen.

However, the H2O is a bit old. It's almost 6.5 years old since it was released and it's no longer a current model. . No idea the condition of the battery. If you can, I suggest you get a Kobo Libra H2O 7" screen) or the Kobo Forma (8" screen).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2021, 03:54 AM   #3
YaggyGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kindle Basic is a horrible Reader. It's only 6" with a low res screen (800x600). It's obsolete.

I have a Kobo Aura H2O and a PW3 and I prefer to read with the H2O. I like the larger 6.8" screen and it's nice and clear/sharp. For reading manga, you do want the larger screen.

However, the H2O is a bit old. It's almost 6.5 years old since it was released and it's no longer a current model. . No idea the condition of the battery. If you can, I suggest you get a Kobo Libra H2O 7" screen) or the Kobo Forma (8" screen).
Do you encounter problems on your H20 up until now especially on the battery?
Old 04-19-2021, 03:57 AM   #4
YaggyGod

Do you encounter any problem on your H20 up until now? Especially on the battery?

Kobo forma was out of my budget LOL
Old 04-19-2021, 04:41 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Aura H2O must be a used device. The original model with the external SD card slot has not been available for a few years. They are still a good device and I use mine occasionally. It tends to be my test bed for things. If the budget says you can't get a new device, then the Aura H2O is probably the better one for you. The extra screen size should help with Manga and the illustrations in the LNs. The only issue would be that the battery is likely to be aging and will probably not last as long as a new device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2021, 06:12 AM   #6
YaggyGod

Is the battery for Kobo Aura H20 interchangeable?

I'm not 100% sure if the one that i'm going to buy is brand new so, i'm just gonna replace the battery if ever.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:52 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaggyGod View Post
Is the battery for Kobo Aura H20 interchangeable?
I'm not 100% sure if the one that i'm going to buy is brand new so, i'm just gonna replace the battery if ever.
Yes, with the H2O/1.
However, this is only possible if you open the housing - but this violates the waterproofness.
It also works with the H2O/2, but the plug seal must be destroyed for this.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
YaggyGod

Thanks for the info man

Noted.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The H2O is not all that easy to open and then close. There are teardowns available online.

If the H2O has been sitting around for long enough with a flat battery, then there could be a problem with the battery or noticeable shortened time between charges.

My H2O battery is good. But I've never let it sit around flat or low enough. I use it often enough that I'm able to know when it's needing to be charged. Plus if I wasn't going to be using it for long enough, I would turn it off.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I've got an Aura HD (closely related to the Aura H2O). I would definitely go with the H2O over the Kindle Basic. Well, you might want to check to see if replacement batteries are still available for the H2O. I think they are, but I would check to make sure.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaggyGod View Post
Noted.
On H2O/1 you have to loosen the glued bezel with the seal - this is a tricky task; then you can unscrew the rest.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote