Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
geordiejohn
Zealot
geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Acer Chromebook 311 C722 - Mediatek 8183, 4gb Ram, 32gb And Calibre

Hello i installed Calibre on my chromebook by using sudo apt install calibre but it is version 3.39.1 and i need version 5.23
when i go to the calibre website and copy and paste to install calibre it asks for a root password and i dont have one,i tried my password i use to login to chromebook but it does not like it.
the problem is when i connect my kindle it does not see it.
does anyone please know how i can bet version 5.23 of calibre on my chromebook without asking for a root password please?
thank you.
geordiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:25 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejohn View Post
Hello i installed Calibre on my chromebook by using sudo apt install calibre but it is version 3.39.1 and i need version 5.23
when i go to the calibre website and copy and paste to install calibre it asks for a root password and i dont have one,i tried my password i use to login to chromebook but it does not like it.
the problem is when i connect my kindle it does not see it.
does anyone please know how i can bet version 5.23 of calibre on my chromebook without asking for a root password please?
thank you.
Calibre official releases are for Intel platform. Your chromebook is arm.

Your chromebook can run plenty of distros for arm. Some of them ship recent versions of calibre. Sadly switching linux containers is an advanced topic, so I would suggest you to stick with the calibre version provided by the default container.

About your chromebook not seeing your Kindle device: that's the expected behaviour. Usb devices are not supported within linux containers. Since Kindles and Kobos use the very compatible USB mass storage driver they should be detected by chromeOS. You'll need to share the drive with Linux and then use the calibre "connect to folder" function to be able to transfer books.

Is a bit annoying to setup the first time but you'll get it without too much trouble. Trying to switch containers is several orders of magnitude harder so please try to use stock first.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2021, 11:35 AM   #3
geordiejohn
Zealot
geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you I can see the kindle in files as when I downloaded some books to downloads I highlight the books and slide them down to the kindle,but when I look in the kindle the books are not there,probably because when using calibre to send the books they go to main memory?
Old 07-28-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
geordiejohn
Zealot

How do I share the drive with Linux please?
Thank you.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
geordiejohn
Zealot

I found this
Open the Chrome OS Files app and find the directory you want to share. Right-click on the folder you want to share and select the “Share with Linux” option.
I take it the folder would be the kindle?
Thank you.

Last edited by geordiejohn; 07-28-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Advert
Old 07-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I found this
Open the Chrome OS Files app and find the directory you want to share. Right-click on the folder you want to share and select the “Share with Linux” option.
I take it the folder would be the kindle?
Thank you.
Yeah. Share the entire drive. See the attachments. In my case my reader is identified as "reader".

Once you share it with Linux it should be available under
Code:
/mnt/chromeos/removable/$deviceId
. You then tell calibre to use that folder. IIRC the next time you mount it from calibre it will remember the folder and you won't need to navigate to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-28 18.20.09.png
Views:	158
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	188387  
Old 07-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #7
geordiejohn
Zealot

Ok thank you very much.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:20 AM   #8
geordiejohn
Zealot

Hello I shared the kindle with Linux but I can't see /mnt/chromeos/removable/$deviceId
All I see is calibre library,wget log 2,wget log 1 and wget log and if I open calibre library I see the books I have and metadata db preys backup Jason and metadata.db
Old 07-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #9
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Hello I shared the kindle with Linux but I can't see /mnt/chromeos/removable/$deviceId
All I see is calibre library,wget log 2,wget log 1 and wget log and if I open calibre library I see the books I have and metadata db preys backup Jason and metadata.db

Uff.

You're talking about the contents that are inside your "home" directory within the default linux container running on your Chromebook.

The contents of your home dir is what you see on the "Files" app of your Chromebook.

But, from linux apps, if you try to open a file you'll be prompted with a file picker that's able to open files for the entire hierarchy. That includes files outside your home dir, which you cannot see from the Files app on your Chromebook.

Look at the attachment, do the same on your chromebook. The file picker will open and you'll need to navigate to /mnt/chromeos/removable. There you'll see a folder named as your ereader, $deviceId is just a placeholder. In my case the full path to that folder is /mnt/chromeos/removable/reader.

If you are still not able to reach /mnt/chromeos/removable please post an screenshot of the filepicker that prompts you when you click "connect to folder" and I could guide you.

If you find these simple steps too dificult maybe it is better to forget about all this and use calibre from a proper OS, like windows, mac or ubuntu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connect-to-folder.png
Views:	163
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	188407  
Old 07-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #10
geordiejohn
Zealot

Ok I will give it another try but calibre still does not see my kindle device,if this does not work I will use my mac mini to run calibre,it just would have been so much easier to use my Chomebook.
Thank you for all your help.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #11
geordiejohn
Zealot

all done and it sees my kindle device and i have sent books to main memory,once again thank you for all the help,my next job is to try and get the latest version of calibre.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:08 PM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Well done. I didn't think the chromebook would see your ereader even after all your efforts because of issues seeing peripheral devices. But you got it going and you learned alot.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:59 AM   #13
geordiejohn
Zealot

Thank you very much.