Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur
Sam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litter

Device: lambda k21
Maybe a bug

Calibre 3.29 on Linux

Editor --> Saved searches --> Edit search (or Add search).

If you paste some text (copied elsewhere) into the Find or Replace panel, the text is added into the code editor, not into the panel with the cursor in it.

To me it seems a bug.

ss
Old 08-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
I confirm.
Calibre 3.29 on Windows.
Ctrl-V works OK.
Shift-Insert paste text in code editor.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
More information Please. I just edited a saved search added test to both the search and replace panel--using copy paste by mouse-- pressed the Done button, then ran the search, works as expected found the searched for text and replaced it with the newly added text.

Using calibre 3.29 on Linux Mint 19.

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sahara View Post
Calibre 3.29 on Linux

Editor --> Saved searches --> Edit search (or Add search).

If you paste some text (copied elsewhere) into the Find or Replace panel, the text is added into the code editor, not into the panel with the cursor in it.

To me it seems a bug.

ss
Old 08-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
More information Please. I just edited a saved search added test to both the search and replace panel--using copy paste by mouse-- pressed the Done button, then ran the search, works as expected found the searched for text and replaced it with the newly added text.

Using calibre 3.29 on Linux Mint 19.

bernie
BeckyEbook said everything
Old 08-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BeckyEbook said everything
Please post a screenshot of what you are doing, because editing saved searches is working as expected for me.

bernie
Old 08-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Seems to me they're saying that while Ctrl+V pastes the contents of the clipboard into the field where the cursor is, Shift+Insert pastes the contents of the clipboard (or perhaps current selection on Linux) into the Code Editor (even though that's not where the cursor is).
Old 08-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I took a look at this and have to agree with BeckyEbook. I opened a file in editor and had the code view and saved search open on screen. I copied random text and hit ctrl-V and it pasted into the saved search find: or replace: box depending on where the cursor was. I place the cursor in the find: or the replace: box and hit shift-Insert (on Windows, this is listed as equivalent to ctrl-V) and the text was pasted into the book code at the point where I had last placed the cursor -- if I don't click in the code view box, it pastes the text at the top of the page.

See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dummy.png
Views:	278
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	165834  
Old 08-24-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Seems to me they're saying that while Ctrl+V pastes the contents of the clipboard into the field where the cursor is, Shift+Insert pastes the contents of the clipboard (or perhaps current selection on Linux) into the Code Editor (even though that's not where the cursor is).
Shift+Insert--I never use it but your are right.

How do you know when to use SHIFT+INSERT vs CTRL-V vs right-click-paste to paste?
bernie
Old 08-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Shift+Insert--I never use it but your are right.
I don't use it either. I was just trying to help get everyone on the same page.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IIRC I think I have run into something like this with the Character tool. It does not like to put it where the cursor (eg: search or replace) is.
W10 x64
Old 08-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
<snip>
How do you know when to use SHIFT+INSERT vs CTRL-V vs right-click-paste to paste?
You don't, they're alternatives. On Windows they've been there since since 'forever', might have been inherited from IBM SAA CUA or Xerox Star even. Shift+Del is cut (to clipboard), I use both at lot - as well as Ctrl+V and Ctrl+C. I never cut and paste text with the mouse, too inaccurate for me.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-24-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:45 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It works for me on linux with an up-to-date version of Qt. So hopefully it will be fixed automatically when calibre 4 is released which will use an up-to-date Qt. In the meantime use ctrl-v
Old 08-25-2018, 07:40 AM   #13
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It works for me on linux with an up-to-date version of Qt. So hopefully it will be fixed automatically when calibre 4 is released which will use an up-to-date Qt. In the meantime use ctrl-v
No, it's just a bug, en error in writing the behavior of the text component; it does not depend on the version of QT.

It's just an assignment in a line of code; If you ask to a good developer he can teach you how to change such a behavior.

In the meantime I'll wait for calibre 4 with so much hope.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, it's just a bug, en error in writing the behavior of the text component; it does not depend on the version of QT.
Unless, of course, the bug is actually in Qt and has been fixed in a later version. Qt does handle the vast majority of calibre's clipboard management after all.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-25-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
It's just an assignment in a line of code; If you ask to a good developer he can teach you how to change such a behavior.

I'll just go do that then and while I'm doing that, I suggest you go ask a good witch doctor how to grow a brain, you seem to be lacking one.
Closed Thread

Tags
bug report, editor, saved searches