Notices

Old 12-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question Clara HD Memory Card Upgrade Response Time for Large Library

Hello:

I currently use a Kobo Aura (2013) with 4.12.12111 firmware.

I have an external 32Gb SD card with +11.500 ebooks across 145 collections and 817 series.

Even though response time when switching between reading and either home screen, library, settings or search is above 15 seconds, I still use the 4.x firmware on account of it's ample search features. I do know response time for same interaction is nearly instantaneous on 3.x firmware, but that version lacks series searching, so... I stay on 4.x firmware.

I'm considering to buy a Clara HD and expand it's internal memory, as per Kobo Glo instructions, to 64Gb; I understand that for this endeavour some SD cards are better than others.

My question is: has anyone done such expansion to store a large ebook library, such as mine? And if so, how are the interface response time when switching between reading and either home screen, library, settings or search?

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 12-26-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Minor misspelling, # of series and collections, URL Links
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
otaku2255
otaku2255 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook HD
Hey,

So, since nobody answered you, I'll know soon. I ordered a Clara HD and am waiting for it to arrive (I'm teaching overseas so it could be a few more days). I also purchased a 128gb Samsung Evo Plus to upgrade it with.

I have a similar library as yours. I'm going to run a few tests before I upgrade and then after.

I was wondering if you drag folders of books onto the Kobos if the device will still read it.

I have an old Nook HD that I've been using for many years because of the SD card slot and ability to navigate through folders on the OS. When I discovered that you could upgrade the Clara HD SD card, I jumped on a purchase.

I've been compiling books ever since e-books became a thing. I'm also something of a completionist and travel quite a bit, so having a mobile library is a must for me.
otaku2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaku2255 View Post
I was wondering if you drag folders of books onto the Kobos if the device will still read it.
For sideloading books, no tools are needed. Just copy the files to somewhere on the device when it is connected. Don't put them in the ".kobo" or ".kobo-images" or any other directory starting with a dot. And it is probably better not use use the "Digital Editions" directory.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:02 AM   #4
otaku2255

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For sideloading books, no tools are needed. Just copy the files to somewhere on the device when it is connected. Don't put them in the ".kobo" or ".kobo-images" or any other directory starting with a dot. And it is probably better not use use the "Digital Editions" directory.
Thanks. How about if I leave the books inside folders? I really don't want 10,000+ files floating around on the main directory. It would be quite difficult to edit or add to later on.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:58 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There are no issue with using directories. In calibre, I use the template:

Code:
{library}/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
Which uses a directory for each of my calibre libraries and then a subdirectory for each author. And each book uses the title and author for the file name. The library name is there simply to reduce the number of directories in the root.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
otaku2255

Thanks for this.

I don't plan on using Calibre because I have all of my e-books saved on micro SD cards and external hard drives, not on my main system. I usually only use Calibre to convert some files to .epub or adjust metadata (but I much prefer Sigil for this, as I usually digitize my own books from old paperbacks or PDFs if I can't find them online).
Old 02-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
My question is: has anyone done such expansion to store a large ebook library, such as mine? And if so, how are the interface response time when switching between reading and either home screen, library, settings or search?
I used a 32GB uSD card in my Clara HD. I do notice some hesitation at times but I suspect that having the database larger than the RAM memory is the source of that issue when switching views or opening a new book. Search does not seem to be affected.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
Incanus
Incanus

Unhappy Clara HD Memory Card Upgrade Response Time for Large Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I used a 32GB uSD card in my Clara HD[...]
Thank you for your reply.

The thing is, if I don't have any evidence of the Clara HD response time on a large library (+12.000 ebooks, many collections and series, etc.) even with a better than average uSD card, I'm loth to buy a device that in the end will behave as slowly as my current Aura (2013).

Which is a pity: I do like kobo interface and library / reading features... but not so much if its's a pain to browse my library from the uSD card.

Hence, I'm considering an Android EReader, with better RAM & CPUs specs, and running my library from the uSD card with Librera Reader apk: very complete on features for reading & searching on multiple types of e-books and compatible with Calibre's opf files, to boot.

Any thoughts? Any one here that went from Kobo to the Android EReader scene?

Thanks in advance,

[INCANUS]
Old 02-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
otaku2255

When my Clara HD arrives, I'm [strongly] considering installing the Kobo Start Menu and KoReader (and Plato). It looks like the navigation of such a large library will be easier that way.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #10
Incanus
Incanus

Question Clara HD Memory Card Upgrade Response Time for Large Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaku2255 View Post
When my Clara HD arrives, I'm [strongly] considering installing the Kobo Start Menu and KoReader (and Plato). It looks like the navigation of such a large library will be easier that way.
Indeed but, what about:
  1. Searching by author
  2. Searching by series
  3. Sort of the above results
  4. Covers thumb on the above results

How well thas KoReader handle that? Are there any screenshots on those features?

And what is Plato? [Edit] Got it: it's another doc reader.

Curiosity piqued,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 02-13-2019 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo, search results on Plato
Old 02-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
otaku2255

I won't know until my device arrives and I experiment for a while.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The thing is, if I don't have any evidence of the Clara HD response time on a large library (+12.000 ebooks, many collections and series, etc.) even with a better than average uSD card, I'm loth to buy a device that in the end will behave as slowly as my current Aura (2013).
I don't use collections -- once you get enough books that the collection count climbs in the high hundreds, search is just so much easier that paging though 80+ pages of collections.

As for the "better than average uSD card", the Aura One and Forma both use eMMC for storage. When I look at the specs for the SanDisk eMMC in the Aura one, it is faster than the uSD cards I've used in other Kobo ereaders and yet the Aura One and Forma seem only slightly faster than my Clara HD.

Quote:
Hence, I'm considering an Android EReader, with better RAM & CPUs specs, and running my library from the uSD card with Librera Reader apk: very complete on features for reading & searching on multiple types of e-books and compatible with Calibre's opf files, to boot.

Any thoughts? Any one here that went from Kobo to the Android EReader scene?
I've only used two Android eInk devices. Compared to my Kobo devices, it was not a pleasant experience. The Tolino epos lacked many of the features such as series and fine grained font size I like in my Kobo devices while the Boyue T-62+(???) crashed often and had lousy battery life. Far more of the the 512MB of RAM in the Boyue was consumed by the OS compared to a Kobo Aura One which, I think, caused issues with several large PDF files. The antique version of Android used did not make me happy either -- several reading apps I wanted to try would not install and customization was a total PITA. I ended up passing it on to a nephew who wanted to play with it.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:18 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Indeed but, what about:
  1. Searching by author
  2. Searching by series
  3. Sort of the above results
  4. Covers thumb on the above results

How well thas KoReader handle that? Are there any screenshots on those features?
I haven't used KOReader in a while but I do remember that if you used calibre to manage your ereader, KOReader can use the metadata.calibre file on your device for searching. You can also use a calibre OPDS server for search your calibre library but I've only taken a quick look at that. You can check in the KOReader and calibre forums for more information.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:25 AM   #14
Incanus
Incanus

David,

Thanks for your insight and experience: I will consider it in my decision.

Gratefully,

[INCANUS]
Old 02-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
David,

Thanks for your insight and experience: I will consider it in my decision.
One thing to keep in mind is that my eInk devices are used basically for epub fiction. While I will use them for PDFs in an emergency, my iPad Pro or my laptop are my goto devices for PDFs of which most are tech manuals.

Tags
clara hd, response-time, sd cards