Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
grechzoo
Enthusiast
grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 or Sony PRS
Just Got A Kindle, Next Steps?

Having just bought my mum a kindle im looking for my first steps.

Research on these forums have shown me the marvels of the public domain, and i know a user here has created a great site (1001). so i will browse that for sure and try and fill out all the free classics i can get my hands on.

basically im lookign for more suggestions of free and cheap, high quality books, mostly fiction. also any recommendations where i can get good value sci-fi and fantasy books? as i want to get my real life book colllection in e-book form as cheaply as possible. (again for my mum, so i can take my books with me )

please bear in mind i will be based in the UK so i know sites like fiction wise dont play too well with me. however i have succeeded in getting the amazon store working for me without any surcharge. and indeed will stick to only usb delivery from now on just in case too.

so basically, guides, links to good shops, and links to great free rescources etc. would be a massive help. and i promise this will be my final "help" topic

hope you guys can help

-
Idris
grechzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
A great source for quality titles if you like sci-fi (in tons of formats) with no DRM is http://www.webscription.net/ while there be sure to check out the free library http://www.webscription.net/c-1-free-library.aspx
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
nancyl
nancyl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/free
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.getfreeebooks.com/
http://manybooks.net/
http://www.baen.com/
nancyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
nancyl

Let us know if you find any good ones in your search; good luck!

Last edited by nancyl; 05-21-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Next step?

Go read a book.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Right here on MobileRead is a good start -- the ebooks are built by hand by MobileRead members, and in my opinion they have the best formatting. There are a lot of other good ebook sites out there. Here's my personal free ebook source list:

Public Domain

MobileRead - best formatting, limited selection

ManyBooks - PG scraper, but sometimes has books from other sources, good formatting

Feedbooks - mostly scrapes PG, improves formatting

Project Gutenberg - the granddaddy of them all, phenomenal selection

Munseys - painful to use, but has books nobody else does

the Internet Archive - generally only the scans are readable

Google Books - most of the time, what's good isn't free, and what's free isn't good
(note: if you have not seen Google's logo today, GO LOOK. It's playable.

Free non-PD

Baen Free Library - amazing selection; also, they will tempt you into buying books

5th Imperium - Baen CD collections

Other Things

Search: Inkmesh. Sadly, it's not a very comprehensive search engine - it misses a lot - but as far as I know, it's the only ebook-specific one out there.

If you're using free ebooks, it's only right to give something back: proofread a page a day at the Distributed Proofreading Project.

P.S.

I almost forgot: get calibre. Its support forum is a few boards down from here.

Last edited by Worldwalker; 05-21-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
(note: if you have not seen Google's logo today, GO LOOK. It's playable.
LOL, been a long time since I played that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
LOL, been a long time since I played that.
Very cool. Even works on the iPad.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
nancyl

The mobileread wiki page has lots of links for free e-books:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks
Old 05-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
grechzoo
Enthusiast
grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thansk guys, this looks all great,

and i have messed around wityh calibre before, will defintily use it as my main software, so i can feel confident i can convert and (simply) format whatever books i get my hand on.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by grechzoo View Post
Having just bought my mum a kindle im looking for my first steps.

Research on these forums have shown me the marvels of the public domain, and i know a user here has created a great site (1001). so i will browse that for sure and try and fill out all the free classics i can get my hands on.

basically im lookign for more suggestions of free and cheap, high quality books, mostly fiction. also any recommendations where i can get good value sci-fi and fantasy books? as i want to get my real life book colllection in e-book form as cheaply as possible. (again for my mum, so i can take my books with me )

please bear in mind i will be based in the UK so i know sites like fiction wise dont play too well with me. however i have succeeded in getting the amazon store working for me without any surcharge. and indeed will stick to only usb delivery from now on just in case too.

so basically, guides, links to good shops, and links to great free rescources etc. would be a massive help. and i promise this will be my final "help" topic

hope you guys can help

-
Idris
The steps are *always* the same!

1. Receive Kindle in it's shipping box.
2. Open box.
3. Unwrap Kindle and accessories.
4. Charge Kindle.
5. Register Kindle.
6. Load in ebook.
7. Read ebook.
8. Delete completed ebook.
9. Repeat Steps 6-8 as needed until tension dissipates.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:26 AM   #12
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by grechzoo View Post
thansk guys, this looks all great,

and i have messed around wityh calibre before, will defintily use it as my main software, so i can feel confident i can convert and (simply) format whatever books i get my hand on.

More specifically :-

http://freesfonline.de
http://freesf.blogspot.com

Will link you to humongous amounts of stuff.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
grechzoo
Enthusiast

thanks, i love this community .

dont mean to be annoying, but any good free/cheap fantasy sites as well :P
Old 05-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Check Baen. They have a fair amount of fantasy mixed in with the SF in the Baen Free Library, and Webscriptions has a lot of fantasy at below-paperback prices. I'm not going there to get you the exact URL -- last time I did that, I came back with two more ebooks, and I haven't read them yet.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
grechzoo
Enthusiast

Haha no problem. Thanks a lot