Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The best thing to do is listen to them at "me time" find a comfortable place, stick ear buds in, close your eyes and escape into the story. It's the same way you listen to music you want to absorb. Every note, every beat, every lyric. You listen to audiobooks the same way and you'll see why we love them.
I go out like a light if I do that! The only way I can listen to audiobooks is while I'm going something else. I listen to them mainly on long car journeys.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I don't really care if making use of an audiobook is called listening or reading. It's just a word.

I just wish I could enjoy audiobooks more. I find it very hard to keep my concentration up when listening to one in a car (the only place I've ever tried one). Maybe I just have stumbled across poor narrators. But many of then just seem to drone on and on. Others place emphasis on words, or do voice tricks (try to speak in a high pitch, etc.) that I find extremely annoying. Several of the books I've tried have British narrators. I have nothing against the British, but the accent is distracting to me.

With audiobooks, my mind wanders, and I find I've missed a lot of the story as time goes on. I could never finish an audio novel. Short stories are challenge enough. I wish this wasn't the case. But it is for me. So I prefer reading with my own eyes.
Same here. I've tried a lot, but they just don't work for me. At some point, I figure out that I've not been paying any attention at all for quite some time. I can't stay engaged. I wish it was different.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #63
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I think there's a bit of a learning curve with audiobooks. I started with rereads of familiar books, so it didn't matter much if my mind wandered--I knew the stories.

I don't sit and concentrate on audiobooks, but I listen while involved in rather mindless, boring activities--like walking or doing housework.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #64
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I go out like a light if I do that! The only way I can listen to audiobooks is while I'm going something else. I listen to them mainly on long car journeys.
You need a good voice actor to keep you from sleeping. Hubby sometimes has snits about me reading when he's trying to sleep. When he's like that I tell him "fine I won't read." I wait till he's snoring and stick in earbuds and listen to my story. There's no way I'm sitting in the dark till he's awake twiddling my thumbs. He's never the wiser.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #65
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I think age might have something to do with this, at least in my case. I used to be able to sit back, close my eyes and just listen. It was my preferred way to listen to audiobooks and to music. My mind would stay fixed on it.

Today, and for the last few years if I do that I'll fall asleep. I miss being able to do that. And that's true of music and audiobooks and audio drama and old time radio shows. If I do something with my hands, just about anything, I'm fine. If not, I'm sleeping.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Today, and for the last few years if I do that I'll fall asleep. I miss being able to do that. And that's true of music and audiobooks and audio drama and old time radio shows. If I do something with my hands, just about anything, I'm fine. If not, I'm sleeping.
Yep. Seems to be lack of visual input that does it for me. I never fall asleep when I'm reading, but try to concentrate on something audible only and it knocks me out almost instantly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #67
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I'm going to ignore the reading/listening discussion to focus on this part of your original comment.

If I couldn't get audio books for long drives I would go nuts! What system to you have from your library that you can't load them on your phone anymore? Just trying to make sure I can yell loudly at my library if they try to change to a system that doesn't allow this. Are they streaming only now? That wouldn't work for me since there are way too many places nearby with little to no service and my data plan is quite small.

My libraries use Overdrive and I don't have any problems doing that or downloading them as MP3s and loading them on my old iPod. I can also go to the library and check out audio books on CD if I needed to, but I haven't had to resort to that yet. (I'm not even sure my truck's CD player works. I haven't used it in the 5 years I have owned it and given that the truck is older than I was when I graduated college I doubt it works.)
Sorry, I meant cant listen to it on my mp3 player. Really wanted to be the person that would run miles just to listen to a good book. Probably doesn't really work that way. Although I had accidently set my mp3 player to play one song, over and over, and I found it made the running tough (bohemian rhapsody).

My intent was not to disparage audiobooks (although I didn't like my daughter equating audible with reading). Just find the tag line very demeaning to readers, and since Amazon got its start as a bookstore, kind of surprised. Although I guess Bezos is a marketer, not a book seller.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #68
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Sorry, I meant cant listen to it on my mp3 player. Really wanted to be the person that would run miles just to listen to a good book. Probably doesn't really work that way. Although I had accidently set my mp3 player to play one song, over and over, and I found it made the running tough (bohemian rhapsody).

My intent was not to disparage audiobooks (although I didn't like my daughter equating audible with reading). Just find the tag line very demeaning to readers, and since Amazon got its start as a bookstore, kind of surprised. Although I guess Bezos is a marketer, not a book seller.
Why can't you transfer the Overdrive books to your mp3 player?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #69
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think everything old becomes new again eventually. Listening to a story isn't a new form of reading. For thousands of years people listened to the village storyteller or the travelling one that would tell stories in exchange for lodging. That's how stories were passed on before people learned how to write.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #70
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Reading uses our eyes, listening uses our ears, two different senses utilizing two different body parts.

Neither of which compromises our comprehension of the material.

But without a doubt listening to a book is not the same as reading a book.

This is why I pay no attention to marketing propaganda, they are just full of crap.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #71
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Reading uses our eyes, listening uses our ears, two different senses utilizing two different body parts.

Neither of which compromises our comprehension of the material.

But without a doubt listening to a book is not the same as reading a book.

This is why I pay no attention to marketing propaganda, they are just full of crap.
"Consuming" a book is probably the best all encompassing word we can come up with. The differentiation will simply confuse and at worst, antagonize other people. I plan to continue to call listening and braille usage reading.

Yes, and thank goodness different senses are used. I couldn't read for 10 years due to brain injury, but I could listen to audiobooks and comprehend most of them just fine. Just don't tell a blind person that they are not reading - you'll just annoy them.

As to the 'cheating' issue that others have commented on, this was discussed in another thread and I think the idea came about because before the late 1990s, most audiobooks were abridged. So a book that took you 20 hours to read, could be narrated to you in 4-5. Clearly, not the same thing.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
"Consuming" a book is probably the best all encompassing word we can come up with. The differentiation will simply confuse and at worst, antagonize other people. I plan to continue to call listening and braille usage reading.
I think of Braille usage as reading for two reasons: it's the same individual experience and intuition of the text and the text is composed of words which are spelled. Similarly, I think GeoffR is right when he said that listening to Morse Code is the aural equivalent of reading.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #73
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
"Consuming" a book is probably the best all encompassing word we can come up with.
What about "imbibing"?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #74
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Yes, it is my favorite remedy for insomnia. I just have to remember to set a bookmark so I can go back and listen to what I missed.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #75
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think of Braille usage as reading for two reasons: it's the same individual experience and intuition of the text and the text is composed of words which are spelled. Similarly, I think GeoffR is right when he said that listening to Morse Code is the aural equivalent of reading.
There’s an emoji version of Moby Dick called Emoji Dick. Now we need an audiobook version, Morsecode-y Dick.

Braille readers can do as much as 200 wpm - maybe more with computer peripheral (as opposed to paper).

Last edited by tomsem; 10-28-2017 at 03:20 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote