Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ebooks and Author Signings - what to do

A few months ago someone here recommended Lisa Lutz as an author who has 4 books in the "Spellman Files" series. It's about a slightly dysfunctional family who run a private detective agency in San Francisco. (We were looking for more books like the Stephanie Plum books from Janet Evanovitch).

I started with one on my new Kindle and I've slowly bought them all and my wife is in the middle of the series.

Well Ms Lutz has a new book out as of yesterday "Heads you Lose" and she is doing a book tour. I plan to attend one of her signings and naturally I was going to buy the hard-cover copy for her to sign.

But - I would really rather order the ebook version. This seems kind of wimpy to go to a book signing and not buy the book. And it's kind of fun having signed copies of a book by a favorite author.

So what to do?

Should I bring a Sharpie and have her sign my leather Kindle cover? Maybe we need a 'skin' where authors can sign the back of our readers?

Have any of you attended an Author event, but purchased the ebook version? Does it feel strange?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
maybe all the authors will start offering little postcard-like pictures of their book covers and then you can get them signed and frame them or collect them. Collectible bookcards like baseball cards?

Actually - maybe you can print something out like that for her to sign, but bring along your Kindle to show her you bought the book.

I haven't read Lisa's new book yet but I really enjoyed her Spellman series. Hope you have fun.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I think there was a thread about this last summer some time, and someone had an author "sign" with a touch screen stylus, though I don't remember on which device.

I've thought that putting books on SD cards, thumb drives, etc., and having those be signable might be a good solution.

Another possibility: an authors' autograph book. You could have each author sign a page in the autograph album, with space for a picture of them (or the two of you!), information about the event, anything you wanted. It wouldn't be quite the same thing as an autographed book, but on the other hand it would be safer than lending out your autographed copy of a favorite book and never getting it back, or having something terrible happen to it when it's out of your hands (my boss once returned a book looking like his dog had chewed on it, and he didn't have a dog), or having to buy another copy (and take up another book's worth of space) so you can have a reading/lending copy as well as the signed one in its little plastic bag.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've gone to a couple meet-n-signs from both author and musician, and some of them have had some other things for signing like portraits and such.

Like was said before, grab an autograph book and snap a picture of them at the event to put in with the signature afterwards.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I get a copy of the book to sign. That way still have ebook to read and lug around with me, without fear of the signature getting tore up.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
For my first Australian Romance Readers Convention I personalised a folder. Red roses wrapping paper cover.
Each author I had read had a page. The page had a dowloaded pic of covers of all their ebooks that I owned. Thinking about it now I could have had an author pic too. There was room for the author to sign the page. The pages slipped out of the folder easily to be signed.
None of the authors refused to sign. Many were interested as ebooks were still a novelty in Australia 2 years ago.
This year I didn't bother as there were souvenir booklets given out. However I think my folder makes a better souvenir. And I like the idea of being able to add a photo of author with reader.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I think a convention and a bookstore signing are two different things (and I'm not quite sure which you are attending). If it's a convention, then supporting the author is all you need to be concerned about, and showing your Kindle book does that. So by all means, take a picture, use an autograph book, etc.

If the signing is at a bookstore, there is probably no requirement to buy a book from the store, but it's good etiquette and a good way to support the bookstore. The bookstore is not getting paid for the author appearance, they are getting paid when they sell books. I used to work at an independent bookstore and certainly we had some collectors who brought a whole stack of first editions for the author to sign, and we wouldn't turn them away, but it's just nicer all around to buy the author's book from the bookstore.

Occasionally for a VERY big author, the author's PR person would specify that they would only sign whatever book they were touring for. But that not the bookstore's restriction.

And personally, I guess I am still old-fashioned because as much as I love my reader, it would be very meaningful to me to have a signed hardcover of a favorite author sitting on my bookshelf.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Actually singings can be done in electronic books, take a little creativity but can be done. Let's consider a few scenarios:

I am an author who has sold a few copies of my latest electronic book and my publisher wants to do an on site signing. I go to the site with my tablet PC, and I create a digital image of my signature with software such as MS Word and save that. After my presentation I tell visitors to email their electronic copies to this address along with your own address. I take any copy I get in the email and copy the signature picture that I created to the PDF (Adobe Acroabt Writer will allow this) and email it back. Voila my customer is sitting there with a signed digital copy.

I embed a four digit code in the back of the electronic book. After my presentation customers can ask for a digital copy by recalling that digital code, proves they own the book. Anyone with a correct answer is emailed a digital signed copy.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
but it's good etiquette and a good way to support the bookstore..
Yes. You just exposed the crux of what was bothering me. It's not about the Author - but the Bookstore. Ebooks are kind of a slap to independent bookstores as they have no way to make money. Walking in with a Nook or Kindle is like buying food from one restaurant, but bringing it to another to sit and eat.

I'll leave the Kindle at home and buy the tree-book to support the store.

Note: Lutz is part of a movement to support independent bookstores and her tour does NOT include any chain booksellers. It might be bad form to show up with a ebook reader tied to Amazon or B&N.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I think an appropriate medium would be an etch-a-sketch - then take photos of the finished signature, erase, repeat!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I think I would do a print run of my cover images to take with me if I had an opportunity to do a signing.

Another option is to have some t-shirts printed with the cover of a book. It's an investment for the author, but if the author could afford it then they could buy them for 4-6 dollars each and sell the autographed shirts for 20.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I think there was a thread about this last summer some time, and someone had an author "sign" with a touch screen stylus, though I don't remember on which device.

I've thought that putting books on SD cards, thumb drives, etc., and having those be signable might be a good solution.

Another possibility: an authors' autograph book. You could have each author sign a page in the autograph album, with space for a picture of them (or the two of you!), information about the event, anything you wanted. It wouldn't be quite the same thing as an autographed book, but on the other hand it would be safer than lending out your autographed copy of a favorite book and never getting it back, or having something terrible happen to it when it's out of your hands (my boss once returned a book looking like his dog had chewed on it, and he didn't have a dog), or having to buy another copy (and take up another book's worth of space) so you can have a reading/lending copy as well as the signed one in its little plastic bag.
I think this was me. I had Heather Webber, Denise Swanson, Sara Rosett, and Marcia Talley all sign my Asus netbook (using the Paint program) and the stylus. Then I saved as .png files and have since exported to my main computer. These days, since I got the Sony 950, it'd be the same, only signing the Sony instead of a netbook, of course, using the Handwriting application on the Sony. But for a Kindle, or something with no stylus input, I guess the Sharpie on the back would be as good as anything else. I think Nate did this when he got Sherman Alexie (he of the infamous quote about punching people who read ebooks in the nose) to sign his Kindle. (He didn't get punched in the nose, thankfully). Having something I could get autographs on was one of my considerations when choosing an ereading device - yes, I'm odd.

Alternatively, if you've had any contact with the author before the signing; (Facebook, blog comments, etc.) ask for a bookmark or a postcard if you don't already have one, and take that to the signing. Be sure and take your own pen, though, (something that will show up on the bookmark, for example, silver sharpie if the bookmark is black or dark colored).

Be aware: Some bookstores won't let you have the author sign anything that you didn't purchase at the store. Anderson's in Naperville IL did this. You couldn't have them sign your book without a blue ticket; and you only got the blue ticket by purchasing the book there. Fortunately, that location was my second time seeing both Heather and Denise, so I didn't need to stand in line for autographs (I already had them).
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Buy the physical book, have it signed. Think of it as a collectible while the ebook can be your reading copy.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote