Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
theusualuser
Enthusiast
theusualuser doesn't littertheusualuser doesn't litter

Device: none
I decided to ask Ectaco about future firmware for the Jetbook Mini

I asked if they had any plans in the near future to increase format support for the Jetbook Mini. Here is the official response that I got emailed back.

Quote:
Hi Bryce,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, we do not have any plans to add any other file format support to the jetBook Mini in the near future.

You may subscribe to our newsletter to be the first one to know if we decide to release the updated version.

The online subscription form can be filled out at
http://www.ectaco.com/news

In the meantime, I'd recommend to consider buying the latest version of ECTACO jetBook Lite which you may find online at
http://www.ectaco.com/products/ectaco-jetbook-lite

The jetBook Lite features support of DRM format for Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) ePub Files and Barnes & Noble ePub Books. You may download these ebooks in PDB format from Barnes & Noble, Ereader.com or Fictionwise.

Also supported are the following unprotected formats:
ePub, Mobi, PRC, RTF, .txt, .pdf, .fb2, .jpg, .gif, .png, and .bmp.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
I think what I found the most interesting was the line that said "if we decide to release THE updated version." (emphasis mine)

I have to assume it was just a grammatical error...or was it?
theusualuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm now going to show my ignorance. What are png and bmp?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
.jpg, .gif, .png, and .bmp are graphic image/picture formats.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks, Ken.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
There are now 2 reviews of the Mini on Newegg and one of them claims that Ectaco said that they are "working on it for more format support and Barnes and Noble DRM support will be available soon as a free update." Anybody know anything about that?
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
There are now 2 reviews of the Mini on Newegg and one of them claims that Ectaco said that they are "working on it for more format support and Barnes and Noble DRM support will be available soon as a free update." Anybody know anything about that?
I don't know. If they were though, I might be willing to take a chance on the unit as a back up. I am willing to allow time for a product to be developed like the original Jetbook was. The ability to use replaceable batteries, rechargeable or otherwise would be nice.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I don't know. If they were though, I might be willing to take a chance on the unit as a back up. I am willing to allow time for a product to be developed like the original Jetbook was. The ability to use replaceable batteries, rechargeable or otherwise would be nice.

--
Bill
they've always stood behind the jetBook with updates and everything so im sure the same thing will come with the mini.

when u hold it in ur hands it gives u some sort of weird "good feeling" cuz its so cute and colorful. the pictures definitely dont do it justice.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
they've always stood behind the jetBook with updates and everything so im sure the same thing will come with the mini.
I hope you are right... but when I asked them, they said they had no plans on adding support for ePub.

Quote:
when u hold it in ur hands it gives u some sort of weird "good feeling" cuz its so cute and colorful. the pictures definitely dont do it justice.
I just like the design period.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote