Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #31
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I wonder if things are different depending on library? My Library when I borrow a book with overdrive it directs me to an amazon link where it will send the library book straight to my kindle
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #32
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Given the flak OverDrive got from some publishers after Kindle borrowing came out in the US, including some publishers temporarily stopping offering their books to libraries through OD, it's possible that OverDrive hasn't looked to expand Kindle lending. We really don't what or where any holdups might be...
Don't forget that the parent company of Overdrive also owns Kobo. They may be willing to work with Kindle in the US since Kobo has pretty much ceded the US to Kindle, but might not want to in the rest of the world since they compete in those markets. Especially Canada.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I wonder if things are different depending on library? My Library when I borrow a book with overdrive it directs me to an amazon link where it will send the library book straight to my kindle
And that is where the issues with Canadian libraries and privacy come from. Amazon now has a record of your library loan.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Given the flak OverDrive got from some publishers after Kindle borrowing came out in the US, including some publishers temporarily stopping offering their books to libraries through OD, it's possible that OverDrive hasn't looked to expand Kindle lending. We really don't what or where any holdups might be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
Don't forget that the parent company of Overdrive also owns Kobo. They may be willing to work with Kindle in the US since Kobo has pretty much ceded the US to Kindle, but might not want to in the rest of the world since they compete in those markets. Especially Canada.
A nice theory. One minor issue with it is that Canadian libraries did not offer Kindle content prior to Rakuten purchasing Overdrive. See my previous message about privacy concerns and cost.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #35
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
In Illinois, Overdrive offers Kindle, but the State of Illinois elibrary does not- only epub
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #36
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And that is where the issues with Canadian libraries and privacy come from. Amazon now has a record of your library loan.

Yes, and this may be true even if you NEVER borrow a Kindle format ebook. More than once, after borrowing an epub from my library, I've visited Amazon to suddenly see the same book, books in the same series or books from the same author suggested. I'm quite certain they get that info from Overdrive as I primarily buy and ALWAYS borrow epub!

It's rather annoying and definitely an invasion of privacy. Not enough for me to stop using the library though....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
That's the way mine works ... well, actually, since I haven't picked a default, I still have to choose Kindle or ePub. When (if) I choose Kindle then I "get the loan" at Amazon. I also return my books from Amazon.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #38
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A nice theory. One minor issue with it is that Canadian libraries did not offer Kindle content prior to Rakuten purchasing Overdrive. See my previous message about privacy concerns and cost.
Didn't realize that. It does give Rakuten even less reason to expand Kindle library lending outside the US in addition to the privacy concerns though.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #39
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Yes, and this may be true even if you NEVER borrow a Kindle format ebook. More than once, after borrowing an epub from my library, I've visited Amazon to suddenly see the same book, books in the same series or books from the same author suggested. I'm quite certain they get that info from Overdrive as I primarily buy and ALWAYS borrow epub!

It's rather annoying and definitely an invasion of privacy. Not enough for me to stop using the library though....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've had Amazon offer me information on non-book items I looked at on Facebook or some other online retailer. I doubt Overdrive is sharing your epub history with Amazon - I'd be more likely to think Amazon is just watching your browsing history (like Facebook and Google and likely others do).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:23 AM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
All your browsing history are belong to us
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #41
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I've had Amazon offer me information on non-book items I looked at on Facebook or some other online retailer. I doubt Overdrive is sharing your epub history with Amazon - I'd be more likely to think Amazon is just watching your browsing history (like Facebook and Google and likely others do).
Google Ads, Facebook and others sell services to site owners using tracking pixels to deliver you "relevant" ads. I'm sure Amazon is a big customer of all of them, along with its own propietary systems.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Four or five years ago, I read a blog post from Data Privacy day which I found rather memorable. Looking at it now, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

“Lately, it seems that barely a day goes by when we don’t learn about a major Internet presence taking steps to further erode users’ privacy. The companies with access to our data are tracking us in ways that make Big Brother look like a sweet little baby sister.

“Typically when we hear an outcry about privacy violations, these perceived violations involve some apparently omnipotent corporation recording the websites we visit, the applications we download, the social networks we join, the mobile phones we carry, the text messages we send and receive, the places we go, the people we’re with, the things we like and dislike, and so on.

“How do they do this? By offering us free stuff to consume online and infrastructure for the online communities that tie us together. We gobble up their technologies, download their programs, use their services, and mindlessly click ‘I Agree’ to terms and conditions we haven’t bothered to read.”

--Robert Siciliano

Full item is at Data Privacy Day 2012.

Tags
acsm, convert acsm to epub, epub, kindle, overdrive