Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you now feel about your Sony Reader?
Love it even more than when I bought it! 48 44.86%
Just as great as the day I got it! 33 30.84%
Like it and I use it a lot! 17 15.89%
It's nice, but I don't use it much anymore 5 4.67%
Stupid device. I wish I'd never bought it. 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Do you still love your Sony Reader?

Now that the Sony Reader has been available for almost half a year, I'm curious to hear how we early adopters feel about the device after lots of reading. Let us know in the poll how you feel (you will need to click through on the article title to see the poll).

Personally, I find that I like it just as much in many ways. I have to admit I almost take it for granted as an e-book reading device because it's very comfortable. Paper is now my third choice... Sony Reader is first choice when I have a lighted situation or want something easy on my eyes, my Treo is best when I want the book with me at all times or am reading in a dark place, and paper books are my last resort if the e-book is not available.

I think that the value of my Sony Reader only goes up as I learn how it fits into my life style most naturally. The quality continues to impress me, and the display is still spectacular. At the end of last year, I even told my eye doctor that reading on the Sony Reader reduces the amount of eye strain that I experience.

But surely there are a range of experiences, from those that have stopped reading on it, to those that are all the more excited because of the cool applications posted at MobileRead, or because of finding all the best sources of e-books and how to put them on the Reader. Let us know what you think!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Still enjoying it... Here is why...

Last night had to wait through a really crowded restraunt for dinner. Took two hours including waiting for a table then waiting to order and getting the food. Was reading Enterprise Broken Bow. ^_^ Did not even mind the time!

Last November had to wait five hours total before I could board a plane to come home. Felt like 30 minutes.

They have been working on the power around here and when they cut services to do thiee repair work which has been at night. Just sit with a candle and flash light reading... ^_^

Yep its worth it.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 01:08 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I haven't read a paper book since some time in October ... 'nuff said.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
lumi
lumi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I haven't had my reader as long as some people - just two months (although I wanted it immediately!) - but so far I am entirely thrilled with it! Like many here, I am a voracious reader, to the point that "books" is an item in my monthly budget. I use it almost every day; I would switch entirely to ebooks (and ease the strain on my shelves) if not for two things:
1. Some things I want are just not available as ebooks
2. Many of the books I read are ones that my husband will also enjoy - I have to buy those as p-books because he irrationally refuses to buy a reader and I refuse to share mine

This is really the best tech investment I've made in a long time. Especially with all the tools that have been made available for format-shifting (legally), I have all the content I could want, at mostly reasonable prices, and expect to be satisfied for years.

I just wish there was more kiddie/tween lit out there - I would buy one for my 12-yr old if only there was enough available that she likes to justify the cost.
lumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:28 AM   #5
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
It goes everywhere with me. I've found it most useful in Doctors waiting rooms as it beats reading the out of date women centric glossy rags.

Certainly more convenient than a 1000+ page book especially when your near the end and you'd normally be carrying two books.

It's a great purchase and I wouldn't hesitate to make it again.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 02:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've had mine for about 3 months now and enjoy it more and more as time goes on. Sure, it has its little quirks, but what doesn't? It's a great device and definitely one of the best things I've spent my money on in the last few years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:05 AM   #7
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
I've been too busy writing software for it to have any time to actually use it - somehow that seems to be the case with most of my gadgets....
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:20 AM   #8
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I love it even more, especially due to many peoples' efforts here on extending it to perform as it should have out of the box. I cannot say I haven't picked up a paperback since I've purchased mine, mainly due to lack of availability of the title I wanted (also some of the agregious prices, ehk!), but it is my first and foremost choice. I take it with me wherever I go and use is quite often, as a matter of fact, it's sitting on the coffee table in front of me as I type (not to mention, I show it off every chance I get!).

Great device, only way to make better is to offer a larger screen where traditional size PDF and magazines can be comfortably viewed.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #9
ThomWill
Enthusiast
ThomWill is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500 (Sony Reader)
While it has not proven as useful for my original intent (carrying around 20 - 30 programming books on various languages / DBMSs from one customer site to another) it has become a favorite gadget in a house full of gadgets. As noted elsewhere, it has prompted me to read a lot of the classics I had read years ago, and many I had neglected.

I would like to see periodical content for it, and have made that clear to the Sony folks.

Overall, as an early adopter, I would say I am still very happy with it.
ThomWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:37 AM   #10
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Still think it's great, though I honestly haven't used it too much recently. Extracurricular books = time sink. Then again, so does perusing many forums on the internet. Haven't tried using any fun utilities yet, though PDFrastfarian (sp?) looks enticing.

I still use paper back books (for "leisure"); however, if Sony/Connect ever does a library-type or subscription-based (certain # or unlimited books for $$ a month?) model, not to mention enlarge its selection by leaps and bounds, that can always change. It's either that or wait till Google et al. finishes digitizing every known book in the universe...
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Tooth Fairy brought it to me on 17th January. Thank you tooth fairy. Thank you very much
I have already told my wife that next week I am going to get rid off some paperbacks that I already have (will get them into Oxfam).
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 AM   #12
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Definitely still love using it. Carry it everywhere. Haven't read paper book other than to browse a passage (I have a large collection) in more than two months. Nevertheless, I would be willing to upgrade to a device that addresses some of its shortcomings.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Better and better each day.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:43 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I spend more time with it in my hands than my wife.

Living with it brings lots of tiny surprises good and bad. Thinking more closely about it, if it were to disappear, I would suffer a drawback period. It has more inpact in my life than television, that insidious curse that now governs all attempt at decent culture.

As a drug addict would say. "I wish everybody were on it!"

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 02-16-2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: bad English :)
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:36 AM   #15
SciFiReader
GadgetReader
SciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Sony Reader
Find it enticing!

I have had my Reader for about two weeks, having moved up from reading on my Palm. Like many other people have said it is a refreshing addition to the technology tools I use every day. I am no longer buying any paper books, and trying to convert everything to Reader. I have found myself "investing" a lot of time at work discovering the world of eBooks on Reader since I bought it. This Forum is a great resource for finding out many ideas, solutions and tricks to use for the Reader. Thanks to everyone.
SciFiReader is offline   Reply With Quote