Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
New York: A Novel

New York: A Novel by Edward Rutherfurd - - has anyone checked this out or the author before? It looks like an interesting read.

Quote:
Rutherfurd celebrates America's greatest city in a rich, engrossing saga that showcases his extraordinary ability to combine impeccable historical research and storytelling flair. As in his earlier, bestselling novels, he illuminates cultural, social, and political upheavals through the lives of a remarkably diverse set of families.

As he recounts the intertwining fates of characters rich and poor, black and white, native born and immigrant, Rutherfurd brings to life the momentous events that shaped New York and America: the Revolutionary War, the emergence of the city as a great trading and financial center, the excesses of the Gilded Age, the explosion of immigration in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the trials of World War II, the near-demise of New York in the 1970s and its roaring rebirth in the '90s, and the attacks on the World Trade Center. Sprinkled throughout are captivating cameo appearances by historical figures ranging from George Washington to Abraham Lincoln to Babe Ruth.

New York is the book that millions of Rutherfurd's American fans have been waiting for. A brilliant mix of romance, war, family drama, and personal triumphs, it gloriously captures the search for freedom and prosperity at the heart of our nation's history.

Last edited by jaxx6166; 02-12-2010 at 12:24 AM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have read a few books from him (The Forest & Sarum) and really loved it. The stories are well researched and he is very good at weaving a thread through the whole history by using a few families.

Can only recommend this to anyone interested in well research historical fiction.

I have 'New York' on my buy list but atm it is still a bit expensive for me.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't know why my response never posted..

But it's currently available in the sony store for $9.99, and the same with B/N. I'm unsure if that will transfer over to Australia though =(
Old 02-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
buckm56
buckm56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I am reading now and really enjoying it. Very interesting way to learn something about that area of the country from its time as a colony. I checked it out from our library.

I'm just now to the section of the Revolutionary War.
buckm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I caved and got the pbook - only because I have his other books on the shelf and love going back to them. *Sigh*
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard

I picked it up thru Sony, it's in my TBR pile. Unfortunately, it's getting bigger and bigger as the days go by.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I bought it when the price when the price went to $9.99. I found out about it after seeing an ad on goodreads, and thought it looked interesting. Since it's so giant, I'm going to have to be smart about how I read it (I'm on a roll right now, I've read one book for every day of the year so far and I'm trying to see how long that goes. This book might put a crimp in that).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard

That's been my fear so far as well. I'm at around 5 books for the year under my belt so far, wish i had your success rate..

But this 900 page monster does beckon. So many books. So little time.