Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
If you've had a Kindle 2 for a while... how is it NOW?

So I've been searching the boards and I haven't really found the answer I'm looking for. Due to the recent price drop of the kindle I'm strongly considering buying one. I have a few concerns though that maybe you kindle 2 owners that have had it for a while now can help me with.

1) How durable is the kindle 2 in terms of the plastic material? I've heard reports of it cracking and chipping.
2) Does the white get discolored easily? My macbook is white and the trackpad is greyed out a bit from the usage. Will this happen to my Kindle?
3) Does the back scratch easily over time?
4) Do you still like it?

Thanks guys I appreciate your input.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
1) Plenty durable, no problems
2) No discoloration that I can tell
3) No, but I keep it in a case
4) Love it. Would never go back full-time to paper books or an LCD screen.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
1) How durable is the kindle 2 in terms of the plastic material? I've heard reports of it cracking and chipping.
2) Does the white get discolored easily? My macbook is white and the trackpad is greyed out a bit from the usage. Will this happen to my Kindle?
4) Do you still like it?
I got mine on release day and up until a few weeks ago read 3-6 books a week on it so have used/handled it quite a bit. I have the font hack installed.

1) No problems with durability. I have it in a basic Amazon cover and carry it in my bag ever day.

2) No discoloration on mine.

3) No scratches or blemishes.

4) I do like it, although it's not really any better than my Sony or Opus, it's not any worse either. Still wish it had a good way to organize stuff on it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
1) Plenty durable, no problems
2) No discoloration that I can tell
3) No, but I keep it in a case
4) Love it. Would never go back full-time to paper books or an LCD screen.
Thanks for saving me from typing the same thing Whitearrow. I'm just going to say ditto! (My Kindle 1 is still in great shape as well!)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Loved it until I got the DX, which I still love (though it's keyboard is WORTHLESS, luckily I don't annotate). No discoloration, no problems.. just as good as the day I got it.

As for your macbook... get a Magic Eraser... made my old white acrylic macbook look BRAND NEW. Just be careful with the moisture and dry thoroughly afterwards.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for all your comments guys... It's really looking like I'm gonna buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

4) I do like it, although it's not really any better than my Sony or Opus, it's not any worse either. Still wish it had a good way to organize stuff on it.
It's funny cuz I'm thinking about selling my Sony Prs-505 which I really love but I'm also a huge fan of the amazon kindle store... Their prices and selection are what's really making me convert. That's why I'm so skeptical about the device because as we both know the 505 is time tested and proven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
As for your macbook... get a Magic Eraser... made my old white acrylic macbook look BRAND NEW. Just be careful with the moisture and dry thoroughly afterwards.
haha thanks for the advice man! I'm actually gonna see if I can get a hold of a magic eraser and try this tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm also a huge fan of the amazon kindle store... Their prices and selection are what's really making me convert.
Yeah, my savings vs buying from BoB and FW has paid for the K2 (at the original price). I have noticed the price differences aren't always as big as they used to be.

Quote:
That's why I'm so skeptical about the device because as we both know the 505 is time tested and proven.
One nice thing with Amazon is the 30 day return policy. You can give it a good hands on test drive and it you decide it's not for you you're only out shipping.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
tejohn
tejohn began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks for all your opinions.

i made the right choice of buying it. can't wait to play with it!
tejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:07 AM   #9
jlick
jlick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jlick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jlick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jlick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jlick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I've had a K2 since release also. No discoloration or scratches yet, and I do not use a cover unless I go out. The only defect I've encountered was the insulation on the sync cable started peeling off a couple of weeks ago, but a cable is easily enough replaced. (PS- Micro-USB cables are hard to find in computer shops in some places. If you have this problem, go to a cell phone shop and you'll probably have better luck, as Micro-USB is the standard connector for many new phones. The Nokia CA101 cable works fine with the Kindle.)
jlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlick View Post
I've had a K2 since release also. No discoloration or scratches yet, and I do not use a cover unless I go out. The only defect I've encountered was the insulation on the sync cable started peeling off a couple of weeks ago, but a cable is easily enough replaced. (PS- Micro-USB cables are hard to find in computer shops in some places. If you have this problem, go to a cell phone shop and you'll probably have better luck, as Micro-USB is the standard connector for many new phones. The Nokia CA101 cable works fine with the Kindle.)
Or use the internet that you have access to and order one, or how about 5? Dirt cheap on sites like Monoprice.com. Barely over a dollar there. I ordered several because more devices are using micro-usb these days. It is a standard connector now, so may as well have a few spares.

Don't get ripped off for simple cables!
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
So I've been searching the boards and I haven't really found the answer I'm looking for. Due to the recent price drop of the kindle I'm strongly considering buying one. I have a few concerns though that maybe you kindle 2 owners that have had it for a while now can help me with.

4) Do you still like it?

I have had my kindle 2 for 6 months. All those questions check out fine. It's a decent product. It's not impressive in any way, mind you. It doesn't stand out beyond the competition. But that's okay, what matters is that it works and isn't falling apart.

However, Amazon disappointed me and their continued aggressive business practices in the eBook market make me frowny-face. I don't really want to support them but I also don't want to pay more money and suffer more inconvenience with the other stores out there. It's a problem. So right now I'm kind of puttering along with Amazon still. I am waiting for the right moment to abandon them though. I am grateful that all but 2 of my books so far were easily de-drm'd so I won't personally lose anything when I do find something better.

Hope you enjoy your K2.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:

4) Do you still like it?

1) The plastic material will not be a limiting factor for durability. The screen is fragile and will break before the plastic enclosure will.

2) Compared to a touchpad, it will not get dirty at all, unless your hands are dirty or sweaty.

3) The aluminum back is brushed aluminum. It is already scratched. It isn't at all like the glossy iPod backs, which are scratched within seconds of receiving them.

4) Yes! I like it more every day. (and I am a demanding customer)

I haven't dropped mine, but I hear they don't take drops well. Maybe this is common to all eBook readers... I bought a good case (Patagonia, $46) which has good padding, and protects it from scratches.

If you are a person who likes to have lots of the devices, and it appears that you are, you should not be without some sort of Kindle. It is an original design.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Thanks for all your comments guys... It's really looking like I'm gonna buy one.

It's funny cuz I'm thinking about selling my Sony Prs-505 which I really love but I'm also a huge fan of the amazon kindle store... Their prices and selection are what's really making me convert. That's why I'm so skeptical about the device because as we both know the 505 is time tested and proven.

haha thanks for the advice man! I'm actually gonna see if I can get a hold of a magic eraser and try this tomorrow.
I have a Sony 505 and a Kindle 2 and love both of them.

If you switch, I'm certain you will miss the organizational menu called "Collections" from Sony. To me, and to so many other people who own a Kindle, this is the one thing most people seem to desire, as the Kindle's current inability organize material into Folders is nonexistent.

Again, both units are great, although I'm currently using my Kindle 2 much more due to the availability of literary texts from the Amazon store.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-08-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If you switch, I'm certain you will miss the organizational menu called "Collections" from Sony. To me, and to so many other people who own a Kindle, this is the one thing most people seem to desire, as the Kindle's current inability organize material into Folders is nonexistent.
Yes, collections or some kind of folders/tags would make the Kindle much nicer. I'm loving having folders on my Opus.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
juj1n
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
However, Amazon disappointed me and their continued aggressive business practices in the eBook market make me frowny-face. I don't really want to support them but I also don't want to pay more money and suffer more inconvenience with the other stores out there. It's a problem. So right now I'm kind of puttering along with Amazon still. I am waiting for the right moment to abandon them though. I am grateful that all but 2 of my books so far were easily de-drm'd so I won't personally lose anything when I do find something better.

Hope you enjoy your K2.
I agree with this completely. One reason I'm semi reluctant to buy one is this whole issue of DRM... I think it's stupid that they're copyrighting an authors thoughts, essentially someone else's property, on their proprietary software... There's probably legislation that explains why but I still think it's really stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
1)

If you are a person who likes to have lots of the devices, and it appears that you are, you should not be without some sort of Kindle. It is an original design.
haha!!! That i am! Don't we all love our gadgets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I have a Sony 505 and a Kindle 2 and love both of them.

Again, both units are great, although I'm currently using my Kindle 2 much more due to the availability of literary texts from the Amazon store.

Don
Ya collections is nice because I can categorize my books into genres and such... But as you said the Amazon store is just a beast...

Anyways I dunno if you guys have heard but the Barnes and Noble e-reader is estimated to be releasing sometimes early next month... 6 inches, touchscreen, wireless just like the kindle. this may be on par with the kindle in terms of their selection of ebooks too. What do you guys think?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/08/w...-ebook-reader/