Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
xdalaw
xdalaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, K1, K2, K3 wifi keyboard, EVO 4G
Just picked up a perfect K1 from Craigslist for my wife and for $150.

Just had to post since I was so psyched to find this deal on my local craigslist. My wife bought me a new K1 just before Christmas last year and I've been looking to get her one (at a reasonable price) ever since.

Got lucky when a real tech-lover decided he'd use his new iPhone 3Gs to read his Kindle books and wanted to sell his mint-condition device quickly.

Once her red leather M-Edge case comes it'll be a perfect early birthday present!

(As a side note, the case is free from M-Edge. When I bought my own mocha leather case a few months ago, I liked it so much that I sent M-Edge an email telling them that. They were so pleased, that they offered me a free case of my choice just as a thank you. That's pretty good customer service if you ask me!! )
xdalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
Just had to post since I was so psyched to find this deal on my local craigslist. My wife bought me a new K1 just before Christmas last year and I've been looking to get her one (at a reasonable price) ever since.

Got lucky when a real tech-lover decided he'd use his new iPhone 3Gs to read his Kindle books and wanted to sell his mint-condition device quickly.

Once her red leather M-Edge case comes it'll be a perfect early birthday present!

(As a side note, the case is free from M-Edge. When I bought my own mocha leather case a few months ago, I liked it so much that I sent M-Edge an email telling them that. They were so pleased, that they offered me a free case of my choice just as a thank you. That's pretty good customer service if you ask me!! )
Excellent deal. Congratulations!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Excellent deal. Congratulations!
Really...and here I thought I got an amazing deal when I purchased my K1 for $205 after the K2 was announced
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
xdalaw
xdalaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, K1, K2, K3 wifi keyboard, EVO 4G
I'm still really surprised, too.

I'd been trying to get her a K1 since the K2 was released, and was hunting to pay a bit less than $200. if possible. A few ended up selling for $200. to $225. in my area, and then fewer and fewer were being offered. I was starting to think I missed my chance for a while.

But, I kept checking Craigslist. Because I'm near Boston, lots of students and tech-industry people post electronics stuff for sale regularly.

This one was posted for $175, and happened to be searching soon after the posting.

I quickly offered $150 and the seller agreed.

I think he was just looking to make a quick sale and avoid a hassle. Works for me! (He is a software engineer for a local company and figured he could use the money for something else, now that he had his iPhone for his ebooks. Also, his list of ebooks was pretty impressive geek-stuff: lots of computer programming books and some scientific manuals, etc. It was quickly replaced by my political and history books and my wife will fill it with fiction, soon.)

In any case, I'd have been pleased if I paid $205. I'm just even more pleaed at $150.
xdalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
our local craigslist has a kindle 1 for $350 - new in the box - yikes!
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I've been looking for a K1 for a while, so this post gave me the idea to check Craig's list. Found a K1 being offered for $150; the guy says the price is because he left the charger & USB transfer cable in a hotel. That's OK with me -- I'll just get replacements.

But also, I saw a guy selling 2 new K2s -- never been registered -- for $199 each. Now that concerns me; are they stolen? http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/1215706703.html So then I follow the link from Craig's list and it takes me to a list of all Kindles being sold on ebay -- and the price listed at Craig's list is not the selling price, but the starting bid price on ebay. I just *hate* this. If you list an item and a price, you should be required to sell it for that price.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Someone was selling their new Kindle 2 for $150 on my local CL a week or so ago. They said it was a birthday present but they weren't really into it, so they just wanted to unload it quickly. *shrug*
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I've been looking for a K1 for a while, so this post gave me the idea to check Craig's list. Found a K1 being offered for $150; the guy says the price is because he left the charger & USB transfer cable in a hotel. ... are they stolen?
Your question about stolen property is more appropriate for the first one, I think (unless he has the original box to put it in). Claiming to have left the cables in the hotel is an easy excuse for a Kindle that walked away from it's owner (since many people don't pack those in their carry-on, purse or leave in the back pocket of an airplane, etc.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Your question about stolen property is more appropriate for the first one, I think (unless he has the original box to put it in). Claiming to have left the cables in the hotel is an easy excuse for a Kindle that walked away from it's owner (since many people don't pack those in their carry-on, purse or leave in the back pocket of an airplane, etc.
Good point. The Kindle was so new that the cover wasn't even creased. It had been unregistered, though it had 5 books about mountain climbing on it. It did have the contact information of the original owner. I will write & ask if it was stolen or lost.

I registered and downloaded my own content onto the Kindle.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Someone was selling their new Kindle 2 for $150 on my local CL a week or so ago. They said it was a birthday present but they weren't really into it, so they just wanted to unload it quickly. *shrug*
That's a bit weird. Can't you return gifts to Amazon for Credit?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That's a bit weird. Can't you return gifts to Amazon for Credit?

BOb
Yeah, you'd think that he would've checked with Amazon about returning it, or he would've noticed that Kindle 1s were going for $200-250 before offering it up for $150. Or maybe he really did just feel like unloading it quickly. I only saw the listing a few days later, so I didn't bother responding to him to find out.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I have been finding it hard to resist not responding to this one add for a K2 for $175.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/1232609745.html

But I keep reminding myself that there is still nothing wrong with my K1
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I have been finding it hard to resist not responding to this one add for a K2 for $175.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/1232609745.html

But I keep reminding myself that there is still nothing wrong with my K1
Interesting. Well, now we know something fishy is going on.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...232290983.html
Old 06-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Interesting. Well, now we know something fishy is going on.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...232290983.html
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #15
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
Just had to post since I was so psyched to find this deal on my local craigslist. (As a side note, the case is free from M-Edge. When I bought my own mocha leather case a few months ago, I liked it so much that I sent M-Edge an email telling them that. They were so pleased, that they offered me a free case of my choice just as a thank you. That's pretty good customer service if you ask me!! )
AWESOME - both deals!!!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote