Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
.lit DRM's books for iPod tOuch?

Is there any legal way of getting DRM's .lit books onto my tOuch? I tried Stanza, but it crashes when I try to load .lit DRM'd books to it. I haven't even tried moving something to the tOuch, yet. Is there a program out there that can do this? Thanks!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Is there any legal way of getting DRM's .lit books onto my tOuch? I tried Stanza, but it crashes when I try to load .lit DRM'd books to it. I haven't even tried moving something to the tOuch, yet. Is there a program out there that can do this? Thanks!
Not that I know of.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
DRMed LITs do not work on the vast majority of modern device types, including the iPhone/touch. This will probably never change, because MicroSoft isn't interested in promoting alternatives to its own operating systems.

It isn't at all clear that stripping ebook DRM for personal use is illegal in (say) the US. It might or might not turn out to be illegal if a copyright holder was crazy enough to test this in court.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
.lit format

It is interesting though, that despite .lit format not being supported by ereader devices, it remains popular. I think that is because it converts very easily and with out too many errors.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I buy .lit ebooks (assuming there's no DRM-free format for sale) because it's pretty easy to remove DRM from them. As sassanik mentioned, .lit is quite easy to convert to other formats.

I used to read on my PSP which has very limited format support and no support of any kind for DRM'd ebooks. I use ConvertLIT to unDRM my purchased ebooks and explode it to oebps folder. I then open the actual .html file in a web browser and print to a PDF file tailored to the PSP's screen dimensions (I tried Amber converter but it didn't retain formatting). Now that I have an iPhone, I convert my unDRM'ed .lit files to .epub using Calibre.

Whether what I do is legal or not is questionable. It's likely illegal, but morally, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. I don't share my unDRM'ed purchased ebooks with anyone. I just remove the DRM so I can enjoy reading my purchased ebooks on the device of my choosing.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert