Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-29-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Trying to find a book...

This is a long shot because I'm looking for a book and I don't know the title. But people have come up with answers for me with less than this to go on, so it's worth a try.

About 8-10 years ago I saw, in a software development magazine, a review of a book written by an expert on software project management. It was a fictional account of a project meant to be both a great read and a book that teaches about project management for software projects. Of course, things have probably changed a bit in the years inbetween, but I've always been interested in the book and would love to get hold of it. The reason I think someone may recognize what I'm talking about is that I believe it was fairly mainstream, in particular I have this vague (and maybe incorrect) impression that the author was at least known or had a high profile position.

Any ideas? Surely, there can't be too many fictional books about software projects along those lines.
Thanks!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:43 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Well, just about all the project management books that I've read are that way:
1. Entertaining.
2. Uses a fictional project to illustrate their points.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2005, 07:00 PM   #3
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
If you have a valid library card and can remember the title of the magazine, you could through a search of the periodical index, locate and read the article to determine the book title. Or you could phone the New York Public Library or your local librarian to perform this search for you.
Dick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm having trouble telling how much of this is tongue in cheek!
Are you talking about case studies, or actual entertaintment novels (I'd love to get some titles like that)?
Or just joking because you're goofy like many of us that actually enjoy that kind of reading?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
Well, just about all the project management books that I've read are that way:
1. Entertaining.
2. Uses a fictional project to illustrate their points.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Bob, is this what you're looking for:

Death March, by Edward Yourdon
ISBN: 0130146595; Published: Jun 15, 1999

http://www.informit.com/bookstore/pr...146595&redir=1
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2005, 07:10 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Actually, it's not the same one, but I will get that one also. It looks very interesting.

As a matter of fact, I bet it would be fun to read similar material about non-software projects also.

But I think I did find it! And it was, in fact, someone well-known! Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/0932633390/
The Deadline: A Novel About Project Management
by Tom Demarco

The reviews aren't all so glowing, but I'm excited about the book. And in true Amazon style, it seems to have given some leads on some similar books that might be interesting, like "the Goal" by Goldratt. Cool!

Thanks to everyone for all the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig
Bob, is this what you're looking for:

Death March, by Edward Yourdon
ISBN: 0130146595; Published: Jun 15, 1999

http://www.informit.com/bookstore/pr...146595&redir=1
Old 06-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
meranda
meranda began at the beginning.

Device: computer
HELP! im trying to find a book.....

i dont know if this is where im supposed to put this or not but i saw someone else here needed help finding a book too so i just stuck it here... im new to this whole thing:

well anyways, i doubt this is even possible because so far no one has been able to help me.. hopefully someone her can! i dont have alot of information to go on..

so:
in elementary school or junior high, i read a book that i loved but cant remember the title or author's name or the date published or anything.. all i remember is:

1. there is something to do with airplaines in the book, maybe its even in the title.
2. its about this poor kid and he is maybe in mexico, im not sure, and he had to make shoes for himself out of parts of tire from alongside the road and strapped them to his feet for shoes.
3. i think the cover of the book had red on it..
4. its a pretty old book

and i kept thinking the title of the book was like black hawk down or red hawk down or something, but its not black hawk down and its not about the war or anything.. so im pretty confused.

this isn't alot to go by, but maybe someone could help me?

thank you so much!!!
meranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

The only shoe-related book I can think of is http://www.amazon.com/Shoeless-Joe-W.../dp/0395957737

It's the book that Field of Dreams was based on. More info here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoeless_Joe_Jackson

But unfortunately that's probably not the one you are looking for.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Actually, it's not the same one, but I will get that one also. It looks very interesting.

As a matter of fact, I bet it would be fun to read similar material about non-software projects also.

But I think I did find it! And it was, in fact, someone well-known! Here it is:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/0932633390/

The Deadline: A Novel About Project Management
by Tom Demarco

The reviews aren't all so glowing, but I'm excited about the book. And in true Amazon style, it seems to have given some leads on some similar books that might be interesting, like "the Goal" by Goldratt. Cool!

Thanks to everyone for all the tips!
Bob, if you check out Syngress Press you'll find quite a few fictionalized dramas about computer security (if you're into that, which I am), that detail factual infomation. It's a great way to pick up on a few new things in the IA area of computers while enjoying a good read. I've picked up quite a few and they all come with free downloads of the text for digital viewing. To name a few - 0-Day Exploit: Countdown to Darkness: How to Own a Continent, Stealing the Network: How to Own an Identity. Cool reads!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Thanks for the tip. But I think those must have been free while in draft form or something. It seems to only offer free TOC and first chapters now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Bob, if you check out Syngress Press you'll find quite a few fictionalized dramas about computer security (if you're into that, which I am), that detail factual infomation. It's a great way to pick up on a few new things in the IA area of computers while enjoying a good read. I've picked up quite a few and they all come with free downloads of the text for digital viewing. To name a few - 0-Day Exploit: Countdown to Darkness: How to Own a Continent, Stealing the Network: How to Own an Identity. Cool reads!