Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
IsraeliReader
IsraeliReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Android App
Exclamation Kindle device download hang / Kindle App download failure

This is a repost of my reply to an older thread (last post Dec 2015). The Forum software suggested that I begin a new thread because of the age of the previous thread, and I expect that many other people may want to have this information. The other thread has already been viewed over 15K times.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and the Kindle App on my Lenovo 10" tablet. I don't know if the problem described below is specific to these devices, but I doubt it.
What does not work:
1. Downloading any purchased book, no matter when it was purchased, even if the book cost $0.00. Books appear in the library but the status cycles between Queued and Downloading - 0% on the Kindle. On the Android app, I get an error that the download has failed.
What does work:
1. Accessing the Kindle Store (so the network does work!)
2. Buying a book on the Kindle. I did not try the Android app.
3. Downloading a PDF document that I have sent to the device by email.
4. Downloading a book to my PC for transfer to a device via USB.
5. Transferring to the Kindle or Android via USB. The book is then accessible in the library.
6. Reading on the PC in online Reader (Chrome browser).
7. Pinning a book in the online PC Reader for offline reading.

So my current workaround is to download books to my PC and then transfer them via USB to the Kindle or the Android app. Instructions for how to do this are probably on the Amazon site, or they will send instructions in email.

The status as described by Amazon in a chat today, after 3 days/5+ hours of phone calls and chats:
06:28 AM PDT Harinandan: I truly understand your concern. I checked and see that many of our customers are facing the same issue and our technical team is already aware of this issue and they currently working to fix the issue as soon as possible.
06:31 AM PDT Harinandan: Yes, you are right. It appears to be the problem with our servers and we are actively working to fix the issue as soon as possible.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by IsraeliReader; 09-27-2016 at 10:29 AM.
IsraeliReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Wonder if it is something to do with 'regional restrictions'. Are you in the US and purchasing from US Kindle Store? That should work, of course, but if you live in (for example) Latvia, then you probably cannot purchase from US Kindle Store without some special arrangement, like having a US address and credit card.

Of course, if you are able to purchase, you should be able to download as well, no matter where you are. But maybe there is some mismatch with your account settings. If you go to Manage Your Content and Devices, Settings, there is one called Country Settings. I'm guessing this needs to match the country of the Kindle Store you are using. But I cannot find any definitive information about it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
prk1947
prk1947 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
My husband and I are experiencing the same download issue and the same responses from the support team. Been working on this for 5 weeks and too many hours to count.
prk1947 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download failure, download hangs, queued