Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
benjaminvm
benjaminvm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Searching within a E-Book

Hello Everyone,

As I was reading over the dictionary forum and it's autorun script, I thought of an idea.

Wouldn't it be easy to search within a book using the same process that the DictioLauncher Application uses?? Something along the lines of

Code:
$ cat ebook_file | grep "^search_term$"
should work shouldn't it! Even the UI could remain the same except you would have to select a file.

The only problem may be in parsing the PDF, LRF files to get plain text. Something like the 'strings' util should work though right? Tell me what you think.

Thank you.
benjaminvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
It's a 'Reader,' not a 'Searcher'!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
I just tried 'strings' on a pdf to no avail. There's bound to be a way, though. It would be remarkably useful.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
dynamike
Enthusiast
dynamike began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, PRS-505
One challenge with this approach would be to match the hits to the appropriate places/pages in the lrf/epub/pdf document -- if search is used to locate a particular location inside an ebook. Which is what I normally use it for (when using a pocketpc).
dynamike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, grep, prs-505, search