Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Boy, are you lending credence to the myth of Scottish behaviour!

Try Apabi. Otherwise its Bluefire or iBooks for you. You want dictionaries, you have to pay.
I think the latest version of iBooks has dictionaries.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Fair enough, and in any case I would recommend he use the free Kindle app.
What they said doesn't have much to do ...€ making money, like freemium business models and advertising
Either way, customers lose.
Money is sure a factor which promotes creating of apps. App Store is filled with flashlight apps. And they are for 0.99! Does it make any sense that one has to pay for turning their flashlight on? But people pay. Some resort to free ones. Money forces developers to make apps which are sensational rather than efficient. As far as I know very few apps are efficient for the job they are intended to do. Take an example. My windows 7 machine is just an Internet machine. I work on a separate offline desktop, running custom Linux. Why? Because in my field of work, there are no Win7 apps to do the job. There is market opportunity that users will pay upto USD500 for this app to have windows version and a touchscreen interface. But 7 years have gone and only me and my colleagues across the ocean are just helping each other to code it so that it works. How about wiki? How about Linux? How about amazing open source projects that power millions of servers worldwide?

My point is: Yes, money sure motivates developers to develop apps; but in a wrong way. And I will stick to it by saying software used for all noncommercial purposes should be free.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
Money is sure a factor which promotes creating of apps. App Store is filled with flashlight apps. And they are for 0.99! Does it make any sense that one has to pay for turning their flashlight on? But people pay. Some resort to free ones. Money forces developers to make apps which are sensational rather than efficient. As far as I know very few apps are efficient for the job they are intended to do. Take an example. My windows 7 machine is just an Internet machine. I work on a separate offline desktop, running custom Linux. Why? Because in my field of work, there are no Win7 apps to do the job. There is market opportunity that users will pay upto USD500 for this app to have windows version and a touchscreen interface. But 7 years have gone and only me and my colleagues across the ocean are just helping each other to code it so that it works. How about wiki? How about Linux? How about amazing open source projects that power millions of servers worldwide?

My point is: Yes, money sure motivates developers to develop apps; but in a wrong way. And I will stick to it by saying software used for all noncommercial purposes should be free.
What gibberish. As if one thousandth part of the software that exists today, from video games to smartphone apps, would exist in the utopia you describe.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
Dreamnine
Enthusiast
Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPod Touch 5
Quote:
Boy, are you lending credence to the myth of Scottish behaviour!

Try Apabi. Otherwise its Bluefire or iBooks for you. You want dictionaries, you have to pay.
I'm not mean

I've tried out a few apps so far - I quite like Bluefire, but Apabi is letterboxed too.
Dreamnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #20
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I'm not mean

I've tried out a few apps so far - I quite like Bluefire, but Apabi is letterboxed too.
LOL! Well dont be all gripey over $1.99, seriously.

In the meantime if you havent already tried Shubook there is a free version... but its crippled. So you wont get the goodies you want, but you will get a feel for how its put together.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #21
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
What gibberish. As if one thousandth part of the software that exists today, from video games to smartphone apps, would exist in the utopia you describe.
Time will answer by itself. Anyway .
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #22
AdamDevise
AdamDevise has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: sony prs-t2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I liked Stanza on my old Touch, but it is now letterboxed on the 4" screen and freezes when I go into settings.

I like iBooks - it's a nice app but I would prefer something with a bit more customisation, preferably one where I can alter text/background colours, margins, etc.

Have you any recommendations?

Thanks
Here is a list of eReders for iPod touch. There are free as well as non-free applications available: http://ipod.about.com/od/theappstore...oks-iphone.htm
AdamDevise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
Dreamnine
Enthusiast
Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I can't get Nook as I'm in Scotland.

Shubook I've played around a bit with the free version but don't really like.

Bluefire is good but I miss having a dictionary.

iBooks is the best but I like having more customisation options...I don't think there is an app that's as good as Aldiko or Cool Reader on Android. Stanza was, and was working fine on my 4th Gen. but not the new Touch.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Overdrive is another free one you can check out. It's somewhat similar to ibooks but without the big side margins. The library view isn't great but I only keep a few books on it at a time.

It does have a dictionary, but it always shows in white no matter if you selected the black, sepia or white background for the book itself.

Right now I mainly use ibooks and overdrive since they both show how many pages left in a chapter which is one of my favorite features.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #25
Dreamnine
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
Overdrive is another free one you can check out. It's somewhat similar to ibooks but without the big side margins. The library view isn't great but I only keep a few books on it at a time.

It does have a dictionary, but it always shows in white no matter if you selected the black, sepia or white background for the book itself.

Right now I mainly use ibooks and overdrive since they both show how many pages left in a chapter which is one of my favorite features.
Thanks - I'll check out Overdrive.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Have you tried Tomes or uBooks? Tomes is $5 but there is a free version of uBooks. I like the auto-scroll readers, especially for such a small screen as an iPod/iPhone where the pages are so very short.

As for whether or not you want to pay for apps, this is what I do: http://www.geekintheforest.com/ios-apps-free/

I also have a detailed review of Tomes on my site.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #27
freespeechuser
Member Retired
freespeechuser began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
The notion that anything is free is naive to the point of irresponsibility.

No offense intended, but you pay with currency or you pay some other way, but you most definitely always pay.
freespeechuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I tried Apabi.. awful. Don't bother.

iBooks has margins that are just stupid for a small screen like an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Bluefire is the best one out there for ePub on iOS right now. To the OP, you'll just have to deal with the dictionary issue if you want a good reading experience.

Stanza is buggy. Sure, the interface might be OK, but the rendering engine is rather buggy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by commiepinkofag View Post
The notion that anything is free is naive to the point of irresponsibility.

No offense intended, but you pay with currency or you pay some other way, but you most definitely always pay.
I'd rather have ads on a free app than no ads on a paid app.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDevise View Post
Here is a list of eReders for iPod touch. There are free as well as non-free applications available: http://ipod.about.com/od/theappstore...oks-iphone.htm
That article is just too old to be of any use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote