Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus Finally Gets Ice Cream Sandwich

I had a pleasant surprise today. I needed to transfer holiday (vacation) pictures to my SGT7+ and when I plugged it into Kies (Samsung's interface software), I was notified that a firmware update was available. After the update my SGT7+ is running ICS. My SGT7+ seems to be quicker and smoother, but I've only been able to play for a few minutes.

Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post
I had a pleasant surprise today. I needed to transfer holiday (vacation) pictures to my SGT7+ and when I plugged it into Kies (Samsung's interface software), I was notified that a firmware update was available. After the update my SGT7+ is running ICS. My SGT7+ seems to be quicker and smoother, but I've only been able to play for a few minutes.

Ooooooooooooooo....

I got to go check!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Received the update today OTA by Samsung. About device still shows version 3.2, but the firmware build # is what has changed to show ICS. How do I know/tell if it in fact ICS?

Guess you have to go thru Keis to update, as even tho it said it was downloading 20mb file, then installing and rebooting, it still looks the same and shows ver 3.2 still.

Will now download Kies and try again.

Must be done thru Kies only. Info found at other Galaxy/Android forums.

Now showing ver: 4.0.4

Last edited by Tabatha; 08-16-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
Help with update via wifi

I am having trouble updating using Kies and a usb cord. The operation stalls partway through. After the first part of the update went from 0 to 100%, another section or portion began, denoted by the Kies dialog box labeled 'Firmware upgrade' saying 'Firmware upgrade progress, with a progress bar at the bottom. The progress bar remained at zero after an hour. The screen of my tablet said, 'Downloading ... Do not turn off target!!!' Windows (7) no longer showed the tablet as it usually would under Computer. I have in the past had problems with the computer ceasing to recognize the tablet during file transfers to this tablet, and had assumed the problem was with the MTP setup rather than my computer. Also, Kies no longer shows the tablet as being plugged in. (I am in the US so the update should work). The usb port I used seems fine. I have tried the update twice and it has failed at the same point both times. The problem may be the usb cord, but I am now recalling that a large file transfer to a Nexus 7, of course using a different usb cord, failed part way through. Again, I assumed the problem was with way the newer Android devices are recognized. (MTP seems slow and prone to failure). I am using a replacement non-Samsung usb cord since the original failed, but have been using this cord for months. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to anticipate questions.

I would now like to try the update using Kies via wifi, but am having trouble establishing the connection using the directions provided by Kies in the section labeled 'Wi-Fi Connection Guide'. When I get to step 1c, there is no 'Advanced' tab available to choose. Is anyone able to help with this? I have followed the directions for Windows 7 up to this point, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by redbees; 08-16-2012 at 12:44 PM.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
Tabatha,

I think the update you received OTA was to Media Hub (or something similar). I got an OTA update and that is what it was. I don't think the upgrade to ICS comes OTA; I think you have to use Kies either with usb or over wifi. (There are other, more complicated ways to update, but those aren't important to either of us, I think, unless all else fails.)
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbees View Post
Tabatha,

I think the update you received OTA was to Media Hub (or something similar). I got an OTA update and that is what it was. I don't think the upgrade to ICS comes OTA; I think you have to use Kies either with usb or over wifi. (There are other, more complicated ways to update, but those aren't important to either of us, I think, unless all else fails.)
Thanks redbees, I found that out from a couple other Galaxy/Android forums. Just finished installing using Kies.

Now my problem is getting my homepage the same as it was. Had Accuweather and Digital clock before, now only have Accuweather, as when I try to put the digital clock widget, it tells me "no more room on homepage", and the only thing there is the accuweather. The new digital widget is not in the correct size to be able to add it back now.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote