Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many digital bookstores do we need?
1 10 10.00%
More than 1 90 90.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
How many digital bookstores are needed?

Greetings!

If all prices are equal and the selection is the same, how many digital bookstores would you browse?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Kind of a dumb premise

selection and prices aren't the only criteria people use to select any sort of vendor.

If you think you can get my business by offering me something ELSE besides selection and price, I say, go ahead and try! I'm willing to listen.

Competition is good.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Competition keeps businesses honest. A single bookstore would concentrate too much power in one business. A monopoly can charge whatever the market will bear. They just decide that they can maximize profits at X price, and set the price there. Competition drives prices lower, as competitors will lower their price to take business away from competitors.

The selection would suffer under a monopoly. Why should a monopoly bother to provide a wide selection of books, when the customer's choice is only to buy there or to do without. A monopoly would have total censorship powers. With competition, one seller can decide what books to stock, and another seller can make different decisions. The books still are available somewhere. There is no difference between a monopoly not stocking a book and the book being banned, the effect is the same.

Why should a monopoly provide good customer service or good quality? The customer has no other choice, why treat the customer well.

The more competition, the better. I like my Kindle, but I will buy at Smashwords if I can.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think I'll have the flounder.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Given the option, I will buy from authors directly through their own sites. So, as many bookstores as there are authors I follow.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Competition is good. I have very rarely seen the prices to be the same for an ebook in different stores.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm surprised that even 16% of respondents think that only one bookstore is needed. Even if you only use one bookstore, the existence of other bookstores benefits you. Think of it like a grocery store. If there was only one grocery store to choose from, that store would have little incentive to stock quality food at a good price. Even if you only shop at one grocery store, you still benefit from the competition among grocery stores.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Most ebook stores that carry current, DRMed books (if not all), only offer one format, so Kindle owners cannot buy from B&N, and vice versa. Only non-DRM books in multiple formats are sold in ebook stores.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think I'll have the flounder.
Not on the menu. We only serve bananas.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Think of it like a grocery store. If there was only one grocery store to choose from, that store would have little incentive to stock quality food at a good price.
Welcome to my town.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Most ebook stores that carry current, DRMed books (if not all), only offer one format, so Kindle owners cannot buy from B&N, and vice versa. Only non-DRM books in multiple formats are sold in ebook stores.
But Kindle owners could choose to jump ship to the Nook, and Nook owners could choose to jump ship to the Kindle. There are a number of smaller retailers to choose from. And if there is a book that is available from one retailer, but not from the other, nothing prevents you from purchasing it from one retailer and then stripping the DRM. The TOS may say you can't, but it doesn't prevent you from doing it. The existence of competition influences companies.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Only 1,
If it is the right one.

what separates the stores that sell DRM infested books from the Big publishers? It is the same book, sold at the same (List) price. So why do we need more Online stores when it just MOS?

90% of my new dead tree books were purchased at the same store (while they were in business).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

Without competition, it is always the wrong store.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
With agency pricing, price isn't really an issue now so I just buy from Amazon as they've the better overall system. Exceptions are for some authors who sell direct and Baen.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Digital bookstores that let me support my local independent bookstore. That's why I use Google.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote