Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #211
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@JSWolf - Yes it considers all images for deletion, yes as you found in the epub you sent me thumbnails if not referenced anywhere will also get deleted, and yes if it decides an image is unused it removes all references to it from the manifest, be it items, spine or guide. Glad to hear the margins stuff is working well too.
For actual release, I suggest changing the title for the @page feature as it's not doing body and it is not always rewriting the @page.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #212
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Well it does modify a body style if it exists in the css to strip margins from it (just not "named" body style classes), and for the majority of calibre users who don't set negative defaults it will be writing @page margins. Given that this feature is still a WIP with Idolse possibly making further changes I'd rather leave it as is than faff around updating all the docs and screenshots and then end up changing it all back again later.

I'm going to have to put a new version of Quality Check out as well to match the updates made for this version. That won't be out until the weekend as another change already pending for it needs the next calibre release.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #213
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well it does modify a body style if it exists in the css to strip margins from it (just not "named" body style classes), and for the majority of calibre users who don't set negative defaults it will be writing @page margins. Given that this feature is still a WIP with Idolse possibly making further changes I'd rather leave it as is than faff around updating all the docs and screenshots and then end up changing it all back again later.

I'm going to have to put a new version of Quality Check out as well to match the updates made for this version. That won't be out until the weekend as another change already pending for it needs the next calibre release.
I have the solution that should be OK until someone comes up with something better. Instead of calling it "Rewrite CSS @page and .body margins" (which actually has an error in it because it's not .body, it's body) call it "Modify @page and <body> style in CSS". It doesn't always rewrite and .body is body without the period.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #214
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You're welcome. My point was (which you obviously realized) that you had no other choice.
Yes, I see what you mean. I was postponing pressing "No," though, because I wondered if it would be a mistake to modify the files but then not update my library.

All the above is hypothetical/moot anyway, so thanks all and I'm good to go.
44reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #215
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
I can probably make the message a bit more explicit along the lines of what Walt has said - something like "Modify ePub has modified x file(s) into a temporary location. Proceed with replacing the versions in your library?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Sounds great.
I agree with dwanthny. Cool.
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #216
44reader
Connoisseur

marked:epub_manifest_files_missing

I have a few files that are flagged by the marked:epub_manifest_files_missing pass in Quality Check.

E.g. ... Calibre library\Wodehouse, P G\The Gold Bat (37)\The Gold Bat - Wodehouse, P G.epub
Manifest file missing from ePub: OEBPS/../cover.jpeg

But when I run "Remove missing file entries from manifest," nothing is changed.

Could anyone tell me what might be happening here, please?

And/or advise me how to fix the file manually.

Many thanks.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #217
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@44reader - send me a PM with a link to one of the ePubs that has the issue and I will take a look. It sounds like a bug in one or the other plugin since the results are supposed to be consistent between them.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #218
44reader
Connoisseur

Quote:
@44reader - send me a PM with a link to one of the ePubs that has the issue and I will take a look. It sounds like a bug in one or the other plugin since the results are supposed to be consistent between them.
Done. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #219
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.2.9 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Alter the "Proceed" message text to hopefully make it clearer to new users.
  • Fix "Rewrite CSS margins" bug where if default margins are set to zero and an epub has margins specified it would error
  • Fix "Rewrite CSS margins" bug where if default margins are set to zero it should not add an @page directive
  • Change "Rewrite CSS margins" so that if default margins are zero it writes out margin attributes with a value of zero, rather than removing them
  • Change "Rewrite CSS margins" so that if default margins are negative then it omits the margin attribute from the style
  • Enhance "Rewrite CSS margins" so that if CSS file has no content it is deleted from the epub
  • Rename "Rewrite CSS margins" to "Modify @page and body style margins"
  • Bug fix for "Remove unused images" not detecting svg images in an svg section containing sibling tags
  • Fix for "Remove Adobe xpgt links" so that it includes removal of links using the @import format.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #220
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

v.1.2.9 looks good from the description. Well done.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #221
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I do have another feature request. I'd like to be able to modify the paragraph indent. Most ePub have an indent that's too large (5%) or too small (1em) and it would be nice to be able to change it to a value we find more appropriate.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #222
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Yeah we would all love that capability, along with setting preferred justification, and top/bottom margins for paragraphs. And of course the ability to have different indentation for the opening paragraph of a scene... And heading margins/alignment. And...

It is utterly and completely unlikely to ever happen. Not even calibre which completely reconstructs a stylesheet and rewrite all the html pages tries to attempt it. First you've got the myriad of ways a style can be declared - named, non-named, inline, etc and then the complications of style inheritance.

But quite apart from all that what actually signifies a "paragraph" in the ePub? You've got so many variations of paragraphs that will be used in an ePub - blockquote vs paragraph vs div, you've got the even bigger problem of scene text, quotes, headings, opening paragraph, true body, scene breaks...

Its just a non-starter.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #223
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah we would all love that capability, along with setting preferred justification, and top/bottom margins for paragraphs. And of course the ability to have different indentation for the opening paragraph of a scene... And heading margins/alignment. And...

It is utterly and completely unlikely to ever happen. Not even calibre which completely reconstructs a stylesheet and rewrite all the html pages tries to attempt it. First you've got the myriad of ways a style can be declared - named, non-named, inline, etc and then the complications of style inheritance.

But quite apart from all that what actually signifies a "paragraph" in the ePub? You've got so many variations of paragraphs that will be used in an ePub - blockquote vs paragraph vs div, you've got the even bigger problem of scene text, quotes, headings, opening paragraph, true body, scene breaks...

Its just a non-starter.
One way to do it that might work pretty well is to look at the most used style be it <p>, <p class="tx"> or <p class="para"> and once you see in the CSS what the text-indent value is for that, you go about changing all the text-indents with that value to the value the user specified. If it misses any that also need to be changed, so be it, but that would get most and maybe it could get all of them. When I do a manual edit to change the one text-indent value, it does (most of the time0 catch all that would need to be changed.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #224
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Another feature idea is to remove line-height. A lot of the time, the publisher puts in line-height when they aren't needed and by removing them, it makes the lines not too spaced out.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #225
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Re the line-height, don't get me started. A construct that should be completely banned from epubs for the utter stupidity with which they are frequently overused to the detriment of allowing the epub to be displayed under the control of the ereader device defaults. I already floated the idea of having it as an option for this plugin on the development thread for it not so long ago.

However there are two edge cases I am aware of/was reminded of where arguably they appear to be "needed" - one is when you have dropcaps on an opening paragraph (or else you get a slight additional margin under the first line). The other is for some particular embedded fonts which otherwise will leave the lines too spaced out (unless you remove the font-family).

So in 99.9% of cases they can and should be removed, but the virtually impossible to automatically detect edge cases put it in the same bucket as indents, margins, justification, font families and font sizes as crap that we have to manually manipulate on every frigging epub because there is no standard for styles and the overly complex flexibility offered with css/html.

Tags
modify epub