Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A guide to why Amazon is losing the tax battle

A thoughtful post from Geekwire.
http://www.geekwire.com/2011/guide-a...ing-tax-battle

One important highlight: "Amazon has put no human face on its efforts. They’ve completely missed the opportunity to highlight hundreds of small entrepreneurs, bloggers and business owners who earn revenue from Amazon links. They could use these people as examples of who will be hurt in this fight....Amazon’s fast growth can be attributed in part to the vast participation in its affiliate program. Amazon links are second only to Google Adsense links on publishers’ sites. Yet, Amazon has not reached out to its base."
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I don't think that Amazon is losing the tax battle, and I'm not sure where the writer gets this idea. Amazon operates three distribution centers in my area, and has just announced a fourth. Amazon, the governor, and various community officials in the counties with distribution centers have not been shy in pointing out that it is our "tax friendly" policies that encouraged Amazon to build distribution centers here, nor in noting that these facilities employ a couple of thousand people with entry level salaries of between $12-20/hr, with full medical.

In any event, Amazon is not losing the battle here.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Uh, I'd say that the way Walmart is orchestrating things behind the scenes, and how it boils down to Amazon and a few big-box retailers duking it out over a competitive advantage, is a much stronger insight by the article....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
"The Alliance for Main Street Fairness, which was so successful in bringing about the victory in Illinois against Amazon, was founded by Wal-Mart and other big-box retailers. Soak that in for a moment. Wal-Mart backing something with the words “mainstreet fairness.” That should either make you laugh or sick to your stomach."

Wow. Did not know that.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Wal-Mart. Fairness.

Yeah. Ok.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I actually received an ARC recently; the title escapes my memory at the moment, but the gist is that Wal-mart has cleaned up its act and become more ethical recently. I'm extremely skeptical, but I'll give it a read.

I do think that Amazon is losing the PR battle on this front. I live in Texas, and I have to say that the local attitudes towards how Amazon conducted itself down here have been extremely negative (myself included). Honestly, I agree with the OP that, if anything else, Amazon could and should be characterizing this issue very differently.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I actually received an ARC recently; the title escapes my memory at the moment, but the gist is that Wal-mart has cleaned up its act and become more ethical recently. I'm extremely skeptical, but I'll give it a read.

I do think that Amazon is losing the PR battle on this front. I live in Texas, and I have to say that the local attitudes towards how Amazon conducted itself down here have been extremely negative (myself included). Honestly, I agree with the OP that, if anything else, Amazon could and should be characterizing this issue very differently.
I also live in Texas. The Amazon fiasco (after I actually looked at what was on the table following my initial knee jerk reaction) made Governor Goodhair look like a drooling fool.

If you read the actual bill, Perry and his crowd were asserting that because Amazon had warehouses in Texas, Texas could charge a sales tax on a transaction betrlween a seller in Georgia and a buyer in New Mexico. Pay attention to the implications of that because this idiot is now exploring a presidential run.

I haven't read the California bill, and I assume it isn't loopy in that way. But California does not have a tax problem. California has a spending problem, and a big problem with businesses packing up and moving. If Amazon pulls out it won't be making a different decision than any of the other businesses leaving California, and I see nothing to hold against them.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I also live in Texas. The Amazon fiasco (after I actually looked at what was on the table following my initial knee jerk reaction) made Governor Goodhair look like a drooling fool.
But wasn't that already the case?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Not in my Texas neighborhood...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Not in my Texas neighborhood...
Well, it's a big state.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
But wasn't that already the case?
Pretty much. Since the whole eminent domain abuse in the Trans Texas Corridor came to light, and the Gardasil scandal.
But the Govornor in Texas actually has even less power than the Leutenant Governor - so all we ever get running for the office are crooks and nutcases.

Someday I would like to see a race here with someone to vote for, instead of revaluating who needs to be kept away from the veto pen the most every four years.

Lets not make anymore presidents out of benchwarmers from this farm team.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, tax battle