Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
almagary
Wears funny hat (cloth)
almagary began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Touch
Buying epubs for Kobo from Kobobooks competitors

On Jan. 28 the NYT is publishing Open Secrets, about the Wikileaks dumps, but the initial announcement says it will be available as a NookBook, "coming soon to Kindle eBooks, iBookstore, & Google eBookstore." Kobobooks and Borders don't list this book. With some hesitation, I put in a preorder at Nookbooks.

These big device-oriented ebookstores don't go out of their way to attract users of other ereaders or even advertise any of their wares as device-neutral, but the Nookbooks are in fact epubs and will probably be downloaded via Adobe Digital Editions. But I understand there are "flavors" of DRM applied to epubs. So the question is: Any problems with buying epubs for our Kobo ereaders from the major Kobobooks/Borders competitors?

Open Secrets is only $5.99 but I don't like to buy hassles.
almagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
B&N uses their own DRM, so a NookBook will not be compatible with your Kobo unless you strip the DRM (or it happens to be one of their rare DRM-free books).

Kobo takes ADE-DRM, of which Sony, Borders, and Google eBooks of the majors are compatible, and lots of little stores if they list "Adobe Secure ePub/PDF" as one of the format options. The iBookstore is completely incompatible with anything else, works only for iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, and the DRM scheme has yet to be cracked.

Kobo also tend not to list pre-order stuff, but often have the books in their catalogue after they're officially released, so if I were you, I'd think of cancelling the B&N pre-order and waiting.

Possibly you may luck out with a good coupon code during release week.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
almagary
Wears funny hat (cloth)
almagary began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Touch
Thanks for that summary. As it happens, my daughter just bought a Nook 1 so I can always read the book on her gadget, and otherwise it will be useful to have a competitive device around the house to play around with stripping DRM*, transferring between devices, etc.

*I do generally support DRM--except that if I have bought a product, I have some ownership rights!
almagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Ugh, e-books are going the route of video game systems with their incompatible everything and their exclusives!
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote