Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
steman
steman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS650
How do I upgrade Firmaware of a GLO?

Hi folks, I own a german GLO. I would like to test / install a new firmware as posted as zip file in the threads above. I unzipped the file and copied once the whole folder and in a second try only the contents of the firmware zip folder to the root directory of the glo. Then did a hadrware reset (with the small hole / button). But nothing happens.
Do I miss something? How can I tell the GLO. Hey you have got a new firmware on your SD - please install it.

Can someone be so kind and gice me a hint....
Thank you very much!
steman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by steman View Post
Hi folks, I own a german GLO. I would like to test / install a new firmware as posted as zip file in the threads above. I unzipped the file and copied once the whole folder and in a second try only the contents of the firmware zip folder to the root directory of the glo. Then did a hadrware reset (with the small hole / button). But nothing happens.
Do I miss something? How can I tell the GLO. Hey you have got a new firmware on your SD - please install it.
You don't have to use the root-folder of the device, you have to use the .kobo folder. Copy the contents of the zip-file to that folder (NOT to the sd-card). If you've done that, after disconnecting, the Kobo automatically will start upgrading.

Full manual is found here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=3

Be aware that you use the right download-file, using the wrong one may brick your device.

Just to make sure, after buying the Glo you synced it at least once by Wifi, or with the desktop application, so you have the latest official firmware, and it is your goal to use a non-official firmware (where official means that it is officially offered to YOUR device).

Last edited by echwel; 11-20-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: adding link, correcting wrong spelling of foldername
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just to reiterate... After you copy the contents of the ZIP to the Kobo you should have the following:

Code:
.kobo/upgrade/ with a bunch of files / folders in it
.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz
.kobo/manifest.md5sum
And also if you DO a manual upgrade double / triple / quadruple check that you ARE using the right file.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
steman
steman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS650
Thank you echwel and PeterT for the input and clarifications!

Can someone tell me how often (weeks or months ... just to have an idea) Kobo does a firmware upgrade through the Kobo Desktop, so to be sure to have an 'official' firmware?
steman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:

Can someone tell me how often (weeks or months ... just to have an idea) Kobo does a firmware upgrade through the Kobo Desktop, so to be sure to have an 'official' firmware?
It depends on what they want to release.

Before the new devices, the last three releases were 3 months and 4 months apart (or was it 2 months and 3 months?).

The releases since the new devices have come out have been a bit quicker, but that's probably more to do with not having features ready for the new devices than any desire to have a shorter release cycle.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:

There isn't a fixed interval for that. What firmware are you on now?

In Japan version 2.2.1 is served out already, probably it's coming to the rest of the world in short time.
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote