Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #676
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaruna View Post
B) How can I create and manage Directories?
only via a PC (like other directories)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #677
fforc9e
fforc9e began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle B00E with DuoKan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
You can search in the installation zip. However I suppose it is more than that. Otherwise why would they need their hands free to enable this?
I don't know. Maybe DK team need to include "normal" (for us) fonts. But if there is any other locale than I suppose exists a chance to overwrite Chinese/German locale to English.
Btw. Is there any other locale in duokan for KT except Chinese??

I really want to check this out but I can't. Ill probably buy KT but not now. I think we need to wait until they enable this option.
fforc9e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #678
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fforc9e View Post
Is there any other locale in duokan for KT except Chinese??
only Chinese
Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #679
pablo1978
pablo1978 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello!
I'm installing doukan lite on my new k4 and I can't manage to install the USB-network drive. I don't where it is and when I install the k4 via usb my pc (windows 7) never recognizes the k4. Anyone can help???
pablo1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #680
msette
msette began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Am I wrong or the latest release, i.e. 5.3, supports pdf hyperlinks?

And if that is true, how to achieve jumps on K4NT?

Thanks
msette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #681
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by msette View Post
Am I wrong or the latest release, i.e. 5.3, supports pdf hyperlinks?
in the Changlog of 5.3 on duokan.com they list
Quote:
support text links to jump (new features)
as a new feature. (I think this is for the mobi, ePub, txt files. otherwise they would indicate it.)

how to use it:
Quote:
K3 k4 : on trial, a small hand flag will pop up, click OK, "Abstracts | endorsement | translate | Jump" cursor is by default on the item "Jump "
kt: in a similar way, "Abstracts | endorsement | translate | Jump" on this list directly select" Jump "to follow the link
Spoiler:
in chinese
Quote:
在k3 k4上试有小手标志,点击确定后,会弹出“书摘 批注 翻译 跳转”,光标默认在“跳转”上
kt,和做书摘方式相似,有“书摘 批注 翻译 跳转”, 直接选择“跳转”即可
ie choose the extra item for the link on this popup :
Spoiler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	091203t6q6qbg2oltbj8zb.png
Views:	593
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	90956

Last edited by thomass; 08-18-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #682
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Is there supposed to be something within that last spoiler?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #683
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Is there supposed to be something within that last spoiler?
there was an image from duokan.com. I replaced it with an attachment.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #684
buddha2012
buddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toys

Device: K3 & K4NT
Hello !
I have a K3 and bought a K4NT yesterday which should have replaced the K3.
I used Duokan 0.5.13.xxxx for more than 1 year on my K3 and can say that I really enjoyed its functionality.
I installed Duokan 2012 (2012-06-29C12125) on my K4 and even though there are a lot of advantages over old Duokan versions I clearly miss the great greyscale/contrast option of my old Duokan K3. Using this option made the fonts look much smoother with rounder corners and easier to read. There was significantly more contrast - text really looked a lot more black on white compared to Duokan 2012 results on my K4.
The "PDF darken" option seems like a joke to me, it does'nt really do much, does it ? I have lots of PDFs, many with scanned text and old Duokan 0.5.... worked oh so great with these documents as I could adjust everything. Also pdf trimming worked better on the old version.
I wanted to sell my K3 but now I am not sure. Is there any way of implementing this old functions in the K4 ? Are there other versions of Duokan for the K4 that still have those useful functions integrated ?
At least I like size and speed but losing the contrast option is a main step back !
Any opinions ?
Thanks
Guenther

Last edited by buddha2012; 08-18-2012 at 10:38 AM.
buddha2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #685
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha2012 View Post
Are there other versions of Duokan for the K4 that still have those useful functions integrated ?
you can download the up to date version from this page: duokan.com/#kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha2012 View Post
Any opinions ?
you can use this feedback address: kindleuser@duokan.com both to give feedback and to get advice directly from developers. ( it is also good to attach some documents as a sample for the mentioned problems.)
Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #686
buddha2012
buddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toys

Well, I have tried the newest version of Duokan with same results.
I have sent them questions/feedback to the given email-address.

At the moment it looks like I am going to sell the K4NT again.

Interestingly, when turning pages in the menu or when viewing a book, right before the page turns, the fonts can be seen really black for a few milliseconds. That's the way I want it to look. With Duokan 0.5.13.XXXX text can be constantly viewed like this, real black on white.
I wonder why this important option is disabled in Duokan 2012. It could have better contrast theoretically but it would have to be implemented in the firmware too. No matter what settings I change, text always looks kind of grey to me in Duokan 2012. That's a pitty.

Guenther
Old 08-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #687
buddha2012

Anyone, who is interested in this topic - I did a few comparisions between Duokan 2012, 8/2012 Version and the latest of the "old" Duokan versions, even before the Lite versions, which was 0.5.13.8942 to my knowledge.
I have a Kindle 3 and 4NT, the old Duokan is only available for K3.
I installed Firmware 3.3 and then old Duokan and Duokan 2012. Duokan 2012 comes with a bootloader that can handle all 3 firmware versions at a time, so at every startup I can chose between Amazon Kindle, Duokan old or Duokan 2012.
I compared Duokan 2012 and old Duokan with each other, mainly in terms of contrast, which was my main concern.

These are my findings:
  • Duokan 2012 is faster and feels sophisticated overall
  • DK 2012 handles Epub/Mobi much better than the old version, documents look much better structured and easier to read
  • PDFs are best viewed with "smart layout", this function is highly improved over the old DK and works great

• DK old is optimized for viewing Pdfs "as they are", "smart layout" almost always causes a mess
  • Trimming/cropping functions work a bit finer than on DK2012 and allow optimization of almost any PDF, no matter if in portrait or landscape format
  • DK old has the much better option of adjusting contrast/darkness of all formats. Fonts can be made to look "black on white", whereas in DK 2012 contrast is limited. In some cases documents always look a bit grainy, in other words, like a document "printed with almost empty toner cartridge". Chosing higher font sizes reduces that problem.
  • The greyscale option in DK old manages to make fonts look slightly smoother and bolder (the higher the greyscale level, the bolder the fonts appear). The result looks in many cases more book-like or like "printed on paper".

Duokan 2012 is clearly improved over old Duokan but I think not having included the great ability to change contrast/darkness/boldness of fonts was a mistake. This has been a very important feature and makes ebooks look more "real" and reading itself more enjoable !

I do not want to read my books/documents without this feature.
So I am going to keep my good old K3 (and likely sell the K4NT again) and will keep both Duokans running.
For ebook-formats I might prefer DK2012, for all other purposes DK old.

If the Duokan team ever decides to implement the old contrast options in Duokan 2012, I would go for the K4NT or K4T or whatever comes after them again. As for now, K3 rules with 3 firmwares on board

Whoever wants to try one of the old Duokan versions, here they are:
http://netzbeben.de/dl/duokan/

I hope this post was helpful for someone.

Thanks
Guenther
Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #688
fforc9e
fforc9e began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle B00E with DuoKan
Some mentioned about hyperliks. I have one question why DK2012 don't support hyperlink in epubs? Its really strange for me... The same thing is with screen rotation, we can rotate screen but only in pdf files. I think guys from DK have to add this two features. Maybe some of you know when, if at all they add this options.
fforc9e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #689
aranwe
Enthusiast
aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch
I have a question: on the webpage there is :
This new version supports Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle 4 Touch (wifi or 3G)

... can anyone confirm that Kindle 4 Touch means the Kindle 5 Touch? (i believe the number 5 in firmware version means its 5) ?
EDIT: + in the download section there is only for kindle 3 and 4 and the chinese download page strictly defines 4 non-touch

Last edited by aranwe; 08-23-2012 at 08:27 AM.
aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #690
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Indo-Arabic numerals are like Greek to the Chinese.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf