Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Question question about amazon ebooks

I should be getting my K3 on Wednesday.

??? Will I need to download all my ebook purchases from Amazon onto the new Kindle OR can I simply copy over my Amazon purchases from where I have saved them in Calibre.

Bit confused by this because I had assumed that I could just copy them onto the new Kindle from Calibre but then I read online somewhere that this wouldn't work as these were meant for my Kindle 2 and won't work with the new K3.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The file is encrypted using a unique code called a PID. This is an ID that is linked to a specific device or computer. This would be why you're getting the error. If the DRM were removed, you could just drag and drop them. You would, however, lose the Whispersync ability. So if you want that in tact or don't want to strip the DRM then, yes, you would have to download them from your Amazon library again selecting your new Kindle 3 as the device.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
ok i might sound like a complete dunce but i'm assuming the move will happen with the wifi/3G on (i also assumed i could transfer through the USB cable since both PC and K3 are registered to the same account)

i'm asking because i don't have wifi at home only at work and my model has only wifi

-right, now you can make fun of the stupid kid-
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
You can download the file to your PC and stipulate that it's for your K3, then transfer it to the Documents folder via USB. However, you can't download it for your Kindle for PC reading application and have it work on the Kindle since it's encrypted for a different PID.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
discovered the manage your kindle option on my amazon account which gives me the option of transferring my buys via USB cable to my "device"! i'm guessing it doesn't need the wifi per se.
i really really wanted to keep the books as pristine as they were when i bought them. yey!
i'm bursting with impatience at this moment waiting for it to finally ship!
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Thank you Alisa that makes sense so I'll just download the ebooks from Amazon again - pity you can't just do it in bulk ...
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you wait for the device to arrive, you can use the archive feature and move the books over pretty easily.

I went through my Kindle Account and moved the books over before my DXG arrived. It took about 5 minutes to move them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote