Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Yep, I've gotten mine opened up. I didn't break anything, but there may be some small nicks by the time I get it put back together. Haven't had a chance to do pics yet, though. Coming soon, I hope. The battery seems to be fastened with double-sided sticky tape, by the way.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #17
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Yep, I've gotten mine opened up. I didn't break anything, but there may be some small nicks by the time I get it put back together. Haven't had a chance to do pics yet, though. Coming soon, I hope. The battery seems to be fastened with double-sided sticky tape, by the way.
Definitely not for the faint of heart. We've cracked many a case in the office here, we definitely were not thinking about easy access to the Kobo eReader's entrails when we finalized the plastics.

I can look into making this easier for intrepid souls such as yourself, but it would probably mean a change to the plastics mold, which would take *forever* (sadly).

In the meantime, crack open at your own risk everyone
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's very nice to see Kobo dropping by and chatting with the rabid masses
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Personally, I've had my shots, but otherwise I totally agree!
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

Definitely good to hear everyone. Wish we did it more... been SO busy these days. Will try to keep up with all the happenings here.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #21
drawlll
drawlll began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
How did you open it, with a bread and butter knife, lol. Are there any tabs inside that means you have to release one side first ( like the battery covers on remote controls) or is it just pressure fit all the way around, any glue or plastic welding ???
drawlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #22
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I used my thumb nail - which is pretty strong, a credit card, and a short quarter inch wide flat screwdriver. I started at a top corner and worked around it. There is double-sided sticky tape around the inside where the case meets the screen, but no glue or welding. At the bottom, just below the centre of the screen, the is a tab that locks into a slot on the under case. You can release that tab after you unstick the bottom tape by twisting the top around the tab until it releases. Have at it... but don't blame me if something breaks
Old 06-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #23
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
If the Kobo comes out with WiFi capabilities - will it be call the i-Kobo? Yak, yak, yak.
Nope, the KoBowie...

(and it'd include a fold-out knife)

nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #24
pholy
Booklegger

Pic, finally

Here are two of the pictures I took while I had my Kobo opened up.

I did put it back together successfully, and am continuing to read the book shown...

I'll put the full-size pictures up over on the Open Inkpot site... http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Device/EB600/Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opened.jpg
Views:	1336
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	53906   Click image for larger version

Name:	board.jpg
Views:	1528
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	53907  

Last edited by pholy; 06-22-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added Open Inkpot site link
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #25
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:

I did put it back together successfully, and am continuing to read the book shown...

I'll put the full-size pictures up over on the Open Inkpot site... http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Device/EB600/Photos
Neat! I like seeing things' insides.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Feel free to update our wiki pages for the open Kobo if you have higher resolution images with more detail. You could also include take apart instructions. Kobo eReader disassembled

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #27
pholy
Booklegger

OK, the pictures are up. I'll get the instructions up after I do a rough draft...
Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #28
ssrich
ssrich began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Now that we've the Kobo open, any source for the screen (eInk?)? I accidentally cracked my screen. Kobo can repair for nearly the price of a new Kobo. Perhaps I can replace the screen for less myself.
ssrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #29
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrich View Post
Now that we've the Kobo open, any source for the screen (eInk?)? I accidentally cracked my screen. Kobo can repair for nearly the price of a new Kobo. Perhaps I can replace the screen for less myself.
I've not seen the 6" e-ink screens for less than $120. Not worth it.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #30
pholy
Booklegger

Also, the screens appear to be bonded somehow to the circuit board. It helps stiffen things.

Mind you, I didn't try too hard to pull them apart